ClubAdventist is back!

Season 3 Episode 5 Jesus Is In Control

Dr. Shane

I love this episode.  Jairus learns his daughter is facing certain death.  Like so many of us, he tries to take matters into his own hands.  He goes to the synagogue and looks for scrolls about healing.  This is his best effort at solving the problem for himself.  He is interrupted by Yosef.  This is the light-bulb moment.  Jairus realizes he can't fix the problem,,, but Jesus can.  He searches for Jesus and when he finally finds Him, he falls on his knees and says, "I know You." 

The Bible doesn't tell us the details so we don't know if Jairus had seen or met Jesus before.  In The Chosen TV program, this is the first time they meet.  All that Jairus had known was what he had read about Jesus written by other rabbis.  In this TV series, Jairus had been comparing what the rabbis had written to Old Testament prophecy and concluded Jesus was the Messiah.  Thus, without having met Him, Jairus says, "I know You."

Originally the writers had made Jairus' line "I know who You are."  The actor that played Jairus wanted to change it to "I know You."  The director agreed that sounded better.  Later in the episode, the Sadducee uses the line "I know who You are," when addressing Jesus.  Thus there is a contrast between Jairus saying "I know You," and the Sadducee saying "I know who You are."

Jesus takes control.  While going to the house of Jairus, a crowd forms around Jesus.  When touched by the bleeding woman, Jesus takes control of the crowd.  He heals the woman and disperses the crowd.  Gaius, the Roman centurion, was about to break up the crowd using Roman soldiers.  It seems to be almost a jaw-dropping moment for him as he watches Jesus command and everyone obeys.  At the home of Jairus, Jesus politely ignores the instruction of the Sadducee before sending away the paid mourners and flute-players.  Jesus maintains total control of the situation.

In the bedroom, Jesus calmly prays and speaks life into the girl.  Everyone in the room is in shock.  Jesus tells everyone in the room not to tell anyone about it because it is not time.  Later, after Jesus raises Lazarus to life, the plot to take the life of Jesus gets more serious.  Jesus knew that if too many people knew about these miracles, it would speed up His death.  The timing of His death was prophesied in Daniel.  Jesus ministry (step by step) fulfilled the various Old Testament prophies that predicted it.

This episode brings me to tears each time I watch it.  There is much more to talk about.

You can watch The Chosen here:

The Chosen

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity