ClubAdventist is back!

Faith & the Arts

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

We the Seventh-day Adventist church has sadly historically not been fair to the airs. Then when we are it tends to be limited to music (the more high brow the better) and maybe painting.  I'm glad to see more forms of art respected in this article. 

There are other forms of art that can be so powerful, such as: acting, and the arts represented in the Fellowship of Christian Magicians, which started out with magicians but have expanded to ballooning, face painting, chalk drawings (Years ago there was a lady in the church my family had it's membership, who was a fantastic chalk drawings then enhancing it with black light.) ventriloquism, story telling, clowning, and a couple more, as well as magicians. 

On the one hand, Seventh-day Adventists do consist of a good percentage of memberships , but there is so much more that can really be useful for the church as a whole and our communities. At their convention they have a program for the children called "Kids Wow!" which introduces children to these arts and as they find an interest they can start training, and learn how to use this art to witness. I wish that we could get some of our younger people to attend the conference with some young adults volunteering for the "Kids Wow!" not only to train for the continuance of the program for future generations; but also our campmeetings should offer at least one session a day "Kids Wow" introducing them to these different arts, letting them get a try in all of them and finding what can use both to enjoy the art and to share the gospel, and maybe even a career.