ClubAdventist is back!

The Pope & LBGTQ Issues

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

The Pope & LGBTQ Issues: A recent statement by the Pope is attracting a lot of attention in the press. The following article informs as to what the Pople actually said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/us/pope-approves-blessings-for-same-sex-couples-that-must-not-resemble-marriage/ar-AA1lG8vi

Gregory

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be the 1st one here to say that an apprentice plumber could have written out a better statement than the Pope approved there. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

What an Adventist Pastor Learned From the Pope

As a Seventh-day Adventist pastor, I don’t look to the pope for guidance. I grew up believing the pope was “the beast”—or at least a boogeyman. 

https://atoday.org/what-an-adventist-pastor-learned-from-the-pope/

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

On 1/28/2024 at 11:06 AM, phkrause said:

What an Adventist Pastor Learned From the Pope

As a Seventh-day Adventist pastor, I don’t look to the pope for guidance. I grew up believing the pope was “the beast”—or at least a boogeyman. 

https://atoday.org/what-an-adventist-pastor-learned-from-the-pope/

Doesn't the President of SDA stand before the SDA Church from time to time to speak on topics that in one way or another effect the SDA Church and its members? 

• Moderators

Recent headlines and news articles have often commented, sometimes falsely, on the recent statement of the Pope on homosexual couples.  The truth of the matter is that the Pope did not in any way state that homosexual marriages was approved by God.  Any such inference is false.  Rather, the statement of the Pope should be understood as saying that God loves the people involved in such marriages and the Priest, in addition to affirming the love of God for them, is asking God to further lead them in Christian growth.

Gustave, you are welcome to comment on my statement.

• Like 2

Gregory

12 hours ago, Gregory Matthews said:

Recent headlines and news articles have often commented, sometimes falsely, on the recent statement of the Pope on homosexual couples.  The truth of the matter is that the Pope did not in any way state that homosexual marriages was approved by God.  Any such inference is false.  Rather, the statement of the Pope should be understood as saying that God loves the people involved in such marriages and the Priest, in addition to affirming the love of God for them, is asking God to further lead them in Christian growth.

Thanks Pastor Matthews, what you say is true. 

• Like 2

• Members
On 1/30/2024 at 6:41 AM, Gregory Matthews said:

I agree and I did get that from the article. I didn't read anywhere that that was a direct quote from the Pope, but as the article stated all individuals are blessed by God and not there lifestyles!!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Members
On 1/29/2024 at 11:17 PM, Gustave said:

Doesn't the President of SDA stand before the SDA Church from time to time to speak on topics that in one way or another effect the SDA Church and its members? 

Yes he does, and I'm not sure that all always agree with him!!

phkrause

10 hours ago, phkrause said:

Yes he does, and I'm not sure that all always agree with him!!

Same with me, there has been plenty things the existing Pope has said I didn't agree with. In this case of the LGBT issue I thought the wording of the document subsequent coverage of it allowed for many to get the wrong idea. At the end of the day each of us respects our respective Pope's when they speak on a matter of Faith and Morals. There have been plenty of times when our respective Pope's have proffered their own opinion on a matter and we are free to disagree and disregard those types of things. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

On the 18th December, 2023, the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith (DDF) published the declaration ‘Fiducia Supplicans - On the Pastoral Meaning of Blessings’.

We are informed that the Declaration:

‘…remains firm on the traditional doctrine of the Church about marriage, not allowing any type of liturgical rite or blessing similar to a liturgical rite that can create confusion.’ (‘Presentation’).

Clause 31 states:

‘Within the horizon outlined here appears the possibility of blessings for couples in irregular situations and for couples of the same sex, the form of which should not be fixed ritually by ecclesial authorities to avoid producing confusion with the blessing proper to the Sacrament of Marriage.’

‘The blessing, therefore, is intended for those who: ‘recognizing themselves to be destitute and in need of (God’s) help – do not claim a legitimation of their own status, but who beg that all that is true, good, and humanly valid in their lives and their relationships be enriched, healed, and elevated by the presence of the Holy Spirit.’

It is one thing for a priest to: ‘provide for (or) promote a ritual for the blessings of couples in an irregular situation’, and quite another to: ‘prevent or prohibit the Church’s closeness to people in every situation in which they might seek the God’s help through a simple blessing.’ (Clause 38).

The former seeks to legitimise the relationship itself. The latter implores the Beloved to give the actual graces needed for the couple to live in accord with His will.

It is important to note that ‘Fiducia Supplicans’ does not change the Church’s teaching on the nature of marriage; or the immorality of homosexual acts; or on any other matter of moral or theological doctrine.

The Declaration permits only a priestly blessing; one that implores the Beloved’s help to move the persons toward upright living.

In my view, ‘Fiducia Supplicans’ is basically correct in its approach to blessings – accepting that Pope Francis desires only that people receive the blessings of the Church, without priests actually blessing sinful unions. However, it may take years for the Church to work through all the various interpretations – and abuses – that are certain to follow.

‘Courtesy costs nothing, but buys everything.’ (‘Alī ibn Abī Tālib).