ClubAdventist is back!

Aunt Sevvy

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

Aunt Sevvy has been compared to an Adventist version of Ann Landers/Dear Abby, with a “lounge in cheek” perspective. A portion of her writings have been published in a 202-page book. It may be purchased on Amazon. See:

https://www.amazon.com/DearAuntSevvyWisdomAdventist/dp/B0C9SHLWRT

Gregory

• Moderators

I usually really enjoy her insights, although I think she too often blames Mrs. White on why we have some poor decisions and superstitions.  A couple of weeks ago on Facebook she had an outstanding article where someone asked her if we can use a menorah with our Christmas decorations. 

Despite her fantastic answer, I feel so sad that someone even had to ask this question. Hanukkah is the only temple feast that became a Biblical feast in the New Testament. 

The book of John has 7 major Signs with connected "I AM" sayings. While we find the order of events different from stories to stories, they all contain the same elements: A temple holiday, Jesus saying something, either publicly or privately, which is related to some aspect of the feast. A crisis occurs which is related to both the feast and what Jesus said. an "I AM" saying that deals with all these elements, and a sign that resolves the crisis. 

We have three for Passover, three for Feast of Tabernacles, and one for Hanukkah. Sadly we miss the holiday setting of the story because the chapter division is in a bad place. The entire passage starts with John 10:22 and goes through John 11:44 or there about. This is a perfect sermon for this special season. It is as if Jesus realized how important family would be this time of the year. And characteristically of Jesus, he focuses his message to those who have an empty seat around the holiday table. This is an entire aspect of the season that we are missing, where there are sermons and songs awaiting to be written, preached and sung.