ClubAdventist is back!

The Bible Says?

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

This post suggests that a mis-translation has existed in the Bible since 1946.  Do not read the following articles unless you are prepared to be challenged.  The following URL takes you to an article that suggests what that mis-translation actually is.

https://www.forgeonline.org/blog/2019/3/8/what-about-romans-124-27

The following URL takes you to an article that provides several links to more information on this subject.

https://atoday.org/documentary-sheds-light-on-mistranslation-of-word-homosexual-in-bible/

NOTE;  I am not taking a position on this issue.  I am simply posting references to a challenging subject.

Gregory

• 2 weeks later...

The common term applied to homosexual men in ancient cultures was "boy lover" - this was openly acknowledged by the gay community prior to the LGBT community turning against NAMBLA (for nothing more than $). The following Documentary is told from the side of gay men who were trying to educate the masses on why young boys benefited from this type "wholesome" tutelage. 

• Moderators

I do not argue with that position.  I posted the article as I thought it was interesting.

Gregory

It's very interesting - it also makes me wonder about the impact of cultural thoughts and how it affected belief, even in the Bible. 

I can't think of any person I know who has kids who would toss their virgin daughters out to a MOB to be raped - for any reason? I know gay people who would die fighting against their daughters being raped. Today, would God view in a positive light a father who tossed his little girl out to a perverted mob or a gay man or woman who fought to defend their kid - to the death. I cringe when I think it but I'm going with the latter. 

I come back to the point that homosexual behavior is sin just like pre-marital sex between a male and female is sin. It's all sin and we are to pray for each other.  The article was definitely interesting. 

• Moderators

Gustave: You have raised important questions to consider.  I do not have all of the answers to this issue that Christianity is facing today.

Gregory

At the archeological site now identified as ancient Sodom and Gomorrah, Minoan pottery has been found.   We know from other studies of the ancient Minoan culture that it was accepted practice within that culture, for a young man to acquire  for himself a boy of 10 to 12 years, to keep as his sexual consort, until that boy reached adulthood.  At which time that boy could then acquire his own "boy."   Marriage and fatherhood existed and functioned right alongside of the "man/boy" sexual arrangement.   The young boys were rewarded in this arrangement with education, rank, jobs, and money.

Just one more insight in to WHY the LORD allowed the destruction of those cities.   

The LORD allowed rebellious Israel to continue UNTIL they crossed His line and began to sacrifice their own children.  THEN He withdrew His protection and allowed the Babylonians to destroy Jerusalem.   

Our God regards the abuse of children as the basest of all crimes. 

Hamas has used children as human shields, and human sacrifices (loaded down with explosives).   They crossed the line, and the LORD will destroy them. 

8thdaypriest

• Moderators

This is a growing issue in the SDA denomination.

It is probably not well known that SDA clergy and lay-members, have family members who are homosexual.  In those families, there is much pain that is associated with what is perceived as the SDA position on this subject.  I wonder as to what the true figures actually are.  But, I do not think that any valid attempt has been made to determine such.

On occasion, publicity is given to a SDA clergy-person who comes out as a homosexual.  Often that results in that person no longer being SDA clergy.  Occasionally that person, will remain celibate and on that basis remain as SDA clergy.

All in all, this issue has real human factors in addition to the Biblical ones.  Answers to aspects of this issue are not easy to determine.

Gregory