ClubAdventist is back!

The Romans 7 error and excuse debunked

Leroy Myers

WAS PAUL LIVING A LIFE OF FAILURE?

In the early years of my experience and struggles with obedience, I found some comfort in Romans 7:14-25. It was clear that Paul too was having difficulties with obedience and since he was the greatest apostle, I could take comfort that I was in good company.

Then one day I read the first 8 chapters of Romans in one sitting and I was shocked with the illogical contradiction in my former belief. 

How could anyone write of such power offered in chapters 6 & 8, and still be caught up in the difficulties portrayed in chapter 7.  This set me on a search to understand the truth of the matter. 

To begin with it begs the question, was Paul writing of his present experience? Or was he speaking to his previous life as Saul, a legalistic Pharisee, and using that as a teaching aid to address a problem of legalism in the church at Rome?

Ellen White has this to say in her book 'Faith and Works', page 31. "The soul must first be convicted of sin before the sinner will feel a desire to come to Christ…'I had not known sin, but by the law’ (Romans 7:7). When the commandment came home to Saul’s conscience, sin revived, and he died. He saw himself condemned by the law of God." 

The language of this statement clearly takes up the theme of Romans 7 and equates it with Saul prior to conversion. E.J. Waggoner refers to Romans 7 as, convicted but not converted.

It was later in life, after Paul's three missionary journeys that he desired to go to Rome, which motivated the writing of this letter. It was shortly after this that he was arrested in Jerusalem and was given an opportunity to speak to the leading Jewish rulers. Note the difference in his testimony before Ananias and his words in Romans 7:15-17, "Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day." Acts 23:1.

One more statement from the inspired pen: "Many realize their helplessness; they are longing for that spiritual life which will bring them into harmony with God, and are striving to obtain it. But in vain. In despair they cry, ‘O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from this body of death?’ Romans. 7:24” MH 84

These are only two of many statements that I found in a search of Ellen White's writings where she quotes from Romans 7 and in each she is referring to a person who has tried in the flesh to find God and is floundering before the law, which cannot correct the life but only define its failed state. In no quote could I find that Ellen White was comparing these texts to the normal Christian walk.

Chapter 6 makes it very clear that we are not free to disregard the law or live outside of it because we are under grace. "Shall we sin that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we who are dead to sin live any longer therein?" Then he goes on to give the clearest description of the new birth which comes by the death of the fallen nature and the resurrection as a new creature in Christ, symbolized in baptism. And being raised up just as Christ was raised up by the same power of God, we walk in newness of life with all of the freedom and power that it offers.

Yet in chapter 7 there appears to be a total contradiction, "...I am carnal, sold under sin...O wretched man am I, who shall deliver me from this body of death?" Does this sound like the testimony of a bourn again Christian who is walking in the Spirit and dead to sin? Is Paul telling us that after nearly 2 decades of serving God, this is the best that a normal Christian life can offer? I think not. 

When Paul writes that when wanted to do good he failed, and when he wanted to avoid evil he failed. He was describing a completely failed life not an occasional mistake. 

In verse 23 Paul refers to the "law of sin". Indicating that this failed life is the result of this "law of sin and death" which was in his members. How does God deal with this law of sin and death?

He simply brings into effect a much greater law. "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death."

There obviously had been a conflict between the Gentile Christians and the Jewish Christians in the Roman church. The gentiles given to license and cheap grace while the Jews were stuck in legalism. Paul addresses cheap grace in chapter 6 and legalism in chapter 7.