ClubAdventist is back!

Doctrine, & SDA History

Gregory Matthews

• Moderators

The following article is important and critical as to dealing with our past history.

https://atoday.org/how-our-adventist-pioneers-got-the-trinity-wrong/

NOTE:  I have placed it in this section as I consider it to speak to issues beyond the Trinity.  However, I may later move it to the Trinity section.

Gregory

That article, in my humble opinion, is absolutely SPECTACULAR! Am I the only one who thinks this way about what William DeMary said? 

• Moderators

Gustave:  The Seventh-day Adventist Church has always had a greater diversity of belief and practice than many people have realized.  In part this is due to our general belief that the Christian life is a life of growth and therefore, SDA congregations should be a place where followers of Christ can come and experience the individual growth that the Holy Spirit brings.  That growth is individualized and we are not to be expected to be in the same position at the same time.

However, the reality that we are now a denomination of more than 21-million members plus many more who may attend but have not yet decided to formally join has resulted in major changes that have reduced the power of the North American Adventists.

Africa now has considerable influence over the selection of the General Conference President.  Some today believe that the current GC President owes his election to Africa, and the next election for the GC President will ultimately be decided by Africa.

Australia is becoming more influential in doctrinal matters, as North America is losing influence.  Individual theologians from Europe are gaining in influence.

Current SDA leadership in North America, seemingly fearful of a loss of power, is struggling to tighten their power over the various organizational levels and departments that exist within the SDA Church, both in North America and in the world at large.  This was clearly evident at a recent set of Spring meetings of SDA officials.

Some predict that such will ultimately result in a large split in the SDA Church, at least on the local level, if not the international level.  I do not agree with this.  However, it is thought that there are SDA leaders who would welcome such as something that is needed prior to the 2nd Advent of Christ.  I do not welcome such, as I believe that the Holy Spirit would not lead in that direction.  

In my personal opinion, I believe that the Holy Spirit is expecting the Seventh-day Adventist Church of today to experience further growth in faith, understanding and practice.  While based upon the leading of God in the past, we must grow beyond that foundation to experience what God would want of us today.  I do not attempt to predict either how or where God will lead in the future.  I am confident that God will lead beyond what I can imagine.  

• Like 2

Gregory