ClubAdventist is back!

'Magick' cool?

David Koot

Just want to comment on something which I have noticed on some threads during the past year. Sometimes, there seems, on the part of some, to be a fascination with what is referred to as 'Magick,' and the whole subject of witchcraft. It's kinda like it is supposed to be cool. The reality is that it is horrible, and it is something which Christians would do well to totally disregard. There is nothing 'cool' about satan, or about witchcraft. It is hideous and ugly. Not worth talking about or even thinking about. Don't give the monster the time of day.

Dave

• Administrators

Satan is a hard taskmaster, from what I've seen so far

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

What then can we, as Christians, do to make Christianity seem "cool"? What efforts can we put forth to make it desirable and worthy of consideration (by those who--so far--view it otherwise)?

We'd better think of something, and think fast. Consider the following (bold type mine):

Quote:
Wicca is America's Fastest Growing religion and is anticipated by religious experts to be the third largest religion in the United States early in the 21st century behind only Christianity and Islam. Such a rapid spiritual revelation is occurring that the need for thousands of Wiccan teachers over the course of the next decade is required to meet the demand for basic teachings. People want to understand and embrace the Wiccan Rede and allow themselves to awaken their inner abilities. Wicca's liberating beliefs and useful skills are in such demand that they need ten thousand teachers in the next few years.

America is on the brink of awakening and discovering its inner magic and it is changing the world. How we change depends on what we believe, and more people are looking at Paganism and Wicca than ever. If Pagans are right, then we have contact with a whole other dimension to our already rich existence. It is another vision of life where magic occurs alongside the daily workplace, among science and technology, among people and filling in all those different places with a sense of awe and wonder. It is about Soul freedom. It is about being aware of how much freedom we truly have. 10,000 Teachers of Witchcraft and Wicca Needed to Solve Global Shortage

Hi Cricket,

Quote:
What then can we, as Christians, do to make Christianity seem "cool"? What efforts can we put forth to make it desirable and worthy of consideration (by those who--so far--view it otherwise)?

I want to share something 1st before I comment.

When I was younger and went to rock concerts the one thing that I enjoyed was the loud, in your face, take it or get lost attitude. That same principle applies to great movies, or personalities.

So I understood as a musician that if I wanted people to listen to me and enjoy what I was doing I had to be 100% into it and demonstrate that I really did love what I was doing. That meant jumping around, grimacing during lead solos, screaming when the time was right etc... All of it was real.

What people are looking for today is a group of people who display that type of love for their beliefs (GOD) When people see honest loving and lovable Christians giving themselves, not for gain but because they love and are willing to die for their words, actions and freedom to express from their hearts how they think and feel about God and what they think about the world.

Love of the world and claiming to love God and be His child is not going to draw many, except those who enjoy doing the same. We need pedal to the metal, single minded people who just want to do God's will at any cost.

Now that to me, would have a heavy impact: way beyond cool. Amazing would be the word.

BTW it's coming soon to an SDA church near you.

Norman

The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522

Amen. May it happen soon! In the meantime, there is a whole world out there needing Christ -- And that whole world includes all of OUR OWN YOUTH who are looking for something tangible. We each need to ask ourselves -- what picture of Christianity do they see in me?

Beryl

"Grace is God doing for us, in us and through us that which He requires of us but which is impossible for us to do in or for ourselves."

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9.

What then can we, as Christians, do to make Christianity seem "cool"?

Here in California, 'cool' is a way of life. So far, I have not run into people suggesting that Christianity is not cool--at least, not in my experience. In fact, someone on the street awhile back told me that I am "the coolest minister in Petaluma."

Being cool is something that a person either is, or is not. Trappings, clothing, doing things or going places, will not make a person cool. I guess it would be difficult to explain or describe what really makes the cut--but either it is there, or it isn't. People who are uncool include authoritarian types, and the nouveaux riche.

Christianity is very cool in this area. Bible thumpers are not.

Dave

Drugs, psych problems, dishonesty, misunderstandings, miscommunication, and many other human mistakes are behind 99% of this nonsense.

When we denigrate science, when we denigrate careful study of the world using math and measuring devices, we open the door for such mistakes to get incorporated into people's lives.

The TRUTH is that the ultimate exorcism weapon, in terms of PROVEN EFFECTIVENESS, is a modern laboratory staffed by cynics.

No-one has ever demonstrated a "supernatural phenomona" that such a lab can't provide a reasonable scientific explanation for.

Is this stuff 'cool'? Yes, in the same sense that Harry Potter is, but to improve people's lives it is more important to teach them about fraud and making reasonable decisions than it is to establish some kind of unjustified aversion to any topic.

/Bevin

what is your definition of Magick (with a k)?

is it in the same category as Magic (without a k) in general?

I do not have expertise in that area. I simply have seen enough discussion about it on this forum, to comment about it generally. A couple of people who currently post here would be well qualified to explain it: Clio, and Rudywoofs. I don't know if either of them would be willing to answer your question, but they are the ones who would be able to. But yes, briefly, Magick as I understand it is quite different from 'magic.'

Dave

• Moderators

As I understand it the 'k' is added to distinguish 'real' wiccan and other kinds of practices from stage 'magic' (illusion and sleight of hand).

Truth is important

• Members

coffeecomputer.gif

Aleister Crowley defined magic(k) as "the art and science of causing change to occur in conformity with will." *Uncle Al* was one of the most influential occultists of the early 1900's. It was he who also introduced the spelling of Magic with a "k" to distinguish it from stage Magic. Also, 'k' has a numerological value of 11, which is considered the number of Magick and the moon, and stands for "Kteis" and refers to the feminine principle in Magick. That is all the elaboration I will give.

Bevin said:

Quote:
Drugs, psych problems, dishonesty, misunderstandings, miscommunication, and many other human mistakes are behind 99% of this nonsense.

**shrugs** And what of the other 1%?

just fyi: I do not intend to participate any further in this thread. I am finding that I am not in a safe state to do so atm...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

Thanks Pam... and you absolutely should do what is safe/healthy for you in relation to your participation.

Truth is important

• Moderators

thanks for the clarifications on the terms here in this board.

Magic(k) - i don't practice or support or agree with.

Magic (sleight of hand & illusions) - i practice and use as illustrations to my sermons and other Gospel teaching.