ClubAdventist is back!

Are some of us too worldly?

lazarus

• Moderators

As I read my Bible last night, I happened on some scriptures showing that basically the terms "worldly" and "godly" or "godliness" simply refer to where our desires or thoughts are centered. A worldly person, then, is someone whose desire and thoughts are centered on this world or on this mortal life, whereas godliness describes the condition of having one's desires and thoughts centered on God or on the immortal life that God is preparing for those who love and obey Him.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John317

• D. Allan

• Neil D

• Woody

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey ... How is it possible to be on Page 6 of the 5 pages. Oh well ...

I haven't read all the posts here on this topic so excuse me but I think we all need to be less worldly. It is an ongoing battle. Even our thoughts are worldly and we have to fight that. Praise God He can and will fill our hearts if we let him.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• 5 months later...

Do you consider anything non-SDA worldly? I don't. I watch non-SDA programming. Some of the things that are preached I don't agree with, but I just flip the channel in those cases. When I had Comcast I watched 3ABN from time to time. Traditionally SDA's have been almost scared of anything that didn't have the SDA stamp on it. I was never one to box myself in like that. I needed to see what others were doing and make my own assessments.

Quote:
Some of the things that are preached I don't agree with, but I just flip the channel in those cases.

Depending upon the mood I am in ... I find it helpful to discover how other denominations think. I have a brain. I am not going to be polluted by hearing and understanding how some other Christians believe.

This is what we get on CA. I consider some of what I read on CA to be very much against the way of Christ. But I want to take the opportunity to learn about the way others think and believe. So far ... it has not polluted me too much.

I believe in Hematology.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:
I was talking to a friend who works in the GC communications department recently and I had to admit to her that I don't watch any SDA TV, Radio and rarely read SDA mags. I'd rather watch TBN or CNN rather than watch 3ABN. I have never ever found anything very useful on Adventist.org. I go to many other Christian sites just mainly non SDA. This forum is the only SDA "media" I consume. ...[snip]... Are we just too worldly or is it something else?

Looking at the world collectively, I see some pretty responsible people out there. I also see a lot of 'dummys' who get thier 15 minute of fame...but I tend to look past the easy quick stuff that is offered to me...and when I do, as I have said, I see some pretty responsible people out there...And then I look at the SDA church....and I wonder.....perhaps we need to be a bit more worldly...like those responsible people out there...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

The Above quote was credited to me. But for the record ... I did not state this. I watch SDA TV and read SDA mags on a daily basis. My day would not be complete without both SDA TV, 3ABN and SDA mags and books.

I am sure this was some kind of innocent error. But I did want to set the record straight.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
Depending upon the mood I am in ... I find it helpful to discover how other denominations think. I have a brain. I am not going to be polluted by hearing and understanding how some other Christians believe.

good idea

sdas have a great opportunity to visit other churches on sundays... they might be surprised at the good competition they have... (might even be motivated to make sda church services more attractive)

btw it just may be impossible to be anything other than worldly unless you can afford a spaceship trip out beyond earthly inflence... considering radio waves etc. you would need to travel more than 186,000 mps.

dAb

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

• 6 months later...

I find that 3abn is so un-wordly that it just seems too good to be true or genuine.(Which is far from the truth about what has really been going on there) Its like watching an adult version of Mr Rogers, its not the world that I know. I cant fool myself, so why try. If we become so disconnected from the world, could we still be of any use to those around us that are watching us and are still of the world?

How can we connect if we are so un-wordly that we may seem distant, unapproachable and disconnected from the world we are still in?

Good point. A nice dose of worldlism ... would help cure this problem.

I believe in Hematology.