ClubAdventist is back!

Religious Freedom Day

Halfstep Denise

President George W. Bush has declared January 16, 2007 to be Religious Freedom Day. A day to reflect the blessings of our religious liberty in the United States of America.

Halfstep Denise

"If you're all God has, is God in trouble?

-- Dr. Frederick K.C. Price

Is this going to be an annual thing? I hope so. This could give our church great opportunities to witness. I am thinking Sign of the Times special editions, Voice of Prophey, It Is Written, 3ABN, etc.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Shane, Religious Freedom Day is an every year observance on January 16. I had to look at the White House website to find that information.

I'm surprised that I haven't even received an e-mail about it from the Religious Liberty Department of the church!

Has there been any mention of it in the church magazines or papers, for instance Liberty Magazine?

Call your church members and do something to celebrate the day!

Halfstep Denise

• Moderators

Re: "Is this [Relligious Freedom Day] going to be an annual thing?"

Shane, FYI, Religious Freedom Day is not a Federally established day to celebrate religious freedom. What it is, is a day that has been "proclaimed" by the President of the United States. In other words, it exists only when the President proclaims it. If the President does not proclaim it in some year, it simply does not exist. The record shows that the President has proclaimed it in every year since 2002. It may have been proclaimed it in earlier years, I simiply did not take the time to do the research to see if that had happened.

It is of interest to me that the proclaimation this year (2007) was dated January 11. That is the earliest that it has been proclaimed since 2002. On some years it was proclaimed on January 15, and even on January 16.

Folks, no real honor can be paid to a day that is proclaimed five, one, or less days prior to the day of proclaimation. Let us face it, when the proclaimation comes on the 15th, or the day (the 16th) itself, no real publicity can be given to it. The media is not going to talk about it. Any such would be after the fact. Even five days prior gives little time for people to get anykthing going to honor it.

We honor Martin Luther King Jr. That is a Federal holiday. People plan for events on that day months ahead.

When the President proclaims Religious Freedom Day months ahead of the date, then we will have the opportunity to really honor it.

As I have not done the research, I do not know if Religious Freedom Day was over proclamed in administrations prior to the present President. None of us can predict if it will be proclaimed by a future President. If it is not, we may never see such again. No one knows.

Shane, does this answer your question?

No, Shane, I am not picking on you.

Gregory

Yes, that makes sense now. I think I will write a letter to the President of the United States and tell him this day should be proclaimed with enough notice for publications, such as our Liberty Magazine, to give it some publicity. I encourage others to write to him too. Postal mail is more effective than email.

President George W. Bush

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20500

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

E-mails sent to the President are effective. I know from experience.

The Religious Liberty Department should have known this was going to happen and spread the word! President Bush has signed Proclamations designating January 16 as Religious Freedom Day for the past 4 years! And during a phone call to the Religious Liberty Department yesterday, I suggested they encourage President Bush to continue the practice and the next President to do the same.

Religious Freedom Day celebrates the 1786 Virginia Statute establishing religious liberty and also our First Amendment rights.

We don't need to do anything to honor the day except Praise the Lord that our founding fathers saw fit to establish religious liberty in this country!

Halfstep Denise

I doubt the news media would pay any attention to Religious Freedom Day since it's too close to the Martin Luther King holiday.