ClubAdventist is back!

US attacks Iranian consulate-to-be in Iraq

bevin

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070113/ap_on_re_mi_ea/us_iran

Looks like Bush has screwed up yet again...

Quote:
U.S. raids that President Bush approved against Iranian targets in Iraq are part of broad efforts to confront Tehran's aggression

State Department spokesman Tom Casey said there was no truth to reports that Iran was carrying out legitimate diplomatic activity at the site.

But Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, a Kurd, contended the Iranians were working in a liaison office that had government approval and was in the process of being approved as a consulate.

When the Kurdish Iraqi's are contradicting the US State Dept, something is badly wrong somewhere. This is our immediate allies in the area telling us we screwed up.

/Bevin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Shane

• Woody

• bevin

• lazarus

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding : "Looks like Bush has screwed up yet again"

How did he mess up?

We are long overdue in getting revenge for the Iranians taking over our embassy and taking OUR people hostage for 444 days.

So ... when we can hit them we should. Long over due.

Part of the Iraqi problem is all the terrorist states being involved in Iraq. Iran does not belong in Iraq. All they are doing is stirring up trouble.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

The Demos are already pushing for a draft. One Black Demo has been pushing a bill in the Senate to restore the draft. But PTL ... Bush and the Republicans are strongly opposed to it.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Uhuh - and given that the US military is already badly over-stretched, how exactly are they going to fight a country that is about 5 times the size of Iraq, and has about 5 times the military, with only recruits (and on-going failure to even meet replacement recruiting targets, let alone expansion ones)?

I hope desperately that that war never happens, but there seems to be a reality disconnect on the part of those spoiling for it, about the means to actually fight it.

Truth is important

I cannot imagine an invation of Iran. I seriously doubt that will happen. Russia is a major supporter of Iran. They do a lot of economic trade with them.

However the US does need to do something to get the Iranians to the diplomatic table. Tagetting Iranian targets in Iraq is not unreasonable. I can also see bombing selective targets in Iraq with either bomber jets or cruise missles, although I tend to doubt that will happen either.

The most effective measure would be to get Russia on board and that seems to be a challenging task but is as important with Iran as China is with North Korea.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Bravus ... Regarding :"how exactly are they going to fight a country that is about 5 times the size of Iraq, and has about 5 times the military, with only recruits (and on-going failure to even meet replacement recruiting targets, let alone expansion ones)?"

Exactly my point ... they can't do it without a draft. And the Republicans know this. It is ONLY the Democrats that want the draft that would allow for more and more ability to fight.

I know of NO Republican who supports the Demo plan to have a draft.

Help me if I am wrong but the name of the person that sponsored the Demo bill to start the draft was Charlie Rangel of NY. ??

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I cannot imagine an invation of Iran. I seriously doubt that will happen.

I think Bush needs to attack Iran to give his presidency a chance of being considered anything but an abject failure. The axis of evil speech will come back to haut Bush unless he does something dramatic and sucessful with Iran. Iraq and North K have become more of a threat as a result of Bush policy.

I would be very surprised if Bush does NOT do something or allow something (an Israeli attack). Hubris is a defining feature of this presidency and it will not let Bush depart without an attack on Iran.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Bush is not concerned with his legacy. He knows he will one day answer to his Creator and that is what he is concerned about. I have heard him state such.

• Moderators

As I understand it the Democratic proposals for a draft are not serious, but are stratagems to bring home to the populace the gravity of the situation with the military. It's not a strategy I agree with, but I think it might be a bit disingenuous to claim it's policy on the part of the Democrats to institute a draft. (This is only my understanding and I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.)

I'll be delighted if I'm wrong about the drums of war I'm hearing for an attack on Iran.

Truth is important

• Moderators

As I understand it the Democratic proposals for a draft are not serious, but are stratagems to bring home to the populace the gravity of the situation with the military. It's not a strategy I agree with, but I think it might be a bit disingenuous to claim it's policy on the part of the Democrats to institute a draft. (This is only my understanding and I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.)

I'll be delighted if I'm wrong about the drums of war I'm hearing for an attack on Iran.

Truth is important

I too may be wrong. As I understand it, the Democrat proposals to reinstate the draft are not disingenuous. These are being made by racial minorities in Congress. An unproportional part of the military is made up of racial minorities. The point of the Congressmen is that American racial minorities shouldn't have to bare an unproportional part of the burden of our national defense.

It is also noteworthy that many of the whites in the military come from poor backgrounds, like myself. A volunteer military is created by offering people something they cannot get without joining the military: Good pay, steady employment, benefits, retirement, enlistment/re-enlistment bonuses, financial aid for college, etc.

The volunteer military creates the situation of the fat man dancing while the thin man pays the band.

• Moderators

Bush is not concerned with his legacy. He knows he will one day answer to his Creator and that is what he is concerned about. I have heard him state such.

Do you believe everything Bush says? Its also helpful examine what someone does as well as what they say

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Indeed, I was impressed when I learned that Bush gives 10% of his gross income to charity. "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Matt. 6:21) Imagine that, a President that tithes.

Bush, Cheney’s tax returns made public

Income: $735,180

Charitable contributions: $75,560

Regarading : "As I understand it the Democratic proposals for a draft are not serious"

I hope that a lot of the things the Democrats do are not serious. They really scare me.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I seem to remember the Pharasees were good tither's too!

Einstein

Shane ... you stated that "An unproportional part of the military is made up of racial minorities."

I would love to see some statistics on that. I do not believe it to be true. I think that the stats I saw indicated that the majority of those in the military are white and not minorities. Check it out.

I believe in Hematology.

Laz ... I think you are in dangerour ground to compare a tithe payer who is a new born Christian to the Pharasees. Perhaps you should ask him if he thinks his tithe paying helps him make it to heaven and I think you will find him to be a very humble Christian. He tithes because he loves the Lord not to obtain any merit from God.

So ... I think your judgment of him is not correct. He is the FIRST president to really share and admit his faith. Even Carter did not claim that God was central in all his decision making and Carter did not state that Jesus was his favorite author and hero. This is what Bush has done. He is not afraid to let his light shine.

I believe in Hematology.

Whites do make up the largers share of the military

America is about 62% white, 14% hispanic, 12% black and 4% asian.

Blacks make up 15% of the military while hispanics make up only 10%. Nonetheless, the reason for the Democrats wanting a draft are as I stated.

Since according to your stats ... 15% of the military are Blacks ... I would not say that they have a disproportionate percentage. The same thing for the other minorities. Where is the problem ?? I don't see the percentages as being high when compared to the percentages of the population.

Is this suppose to be some racial injustice ?? If so ... I just don't see it. And to call for a draft because of these stats ... is just irresponsible. What kind of game are the Democrats playing??

I believe in Hematology.

Bush also views the office of the President as an opportunity to serve, not make a name for himself. He really is a humble man. While I disagree with some decisions he has made as President, I have a lot of respect for him. I think many will be impressed by his memoirs and I only hope he lets them be released before his death.

Well, blacks make up about 12% of the population and about 15% of the military so they are baring a little more of the burden. The average white family makes $44,000 and the average white recruit comes from a family that earns $33,000. So there is a little injustice there too. I admit it is not extreame however this is what the Democrat proposals for a draft are all about.

• Moderators

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=18914

Buchannan is interesting as usual......

......A "surge" of 21,500 troops, 15 percent of the U.S. forces already in Iraq, to pacify the capital. And even that troop commitment is "not open-ended."

This is just not credible. For, if the situation is as dire as Bush says and the potential disaster as horrific as he describes, the logical course would be to treble the number of troops in Iraq and commit to fight indefinitely.

How explain the disconnect? Is Bush absurdly exaggerating the consequences of a pullout?

No. U.S. strategic interests in the Middle East are indeed at risk because of the hubristic folly of our political elite in putting them there, when they launched this insane war.

But Bush cannot now commit to fight to victory, because the war is lost in the United States. Two-thirds of the American people are unwilling to make the sacrifices to save Iraq. Though they do not want a defeat and may not realize the consequences of a defeat, they are willing to risk a defeat, rather than continue to read of American kids being IED'ed to death and dismemberment in Baghdad and Anbar. The people want out and are saying to hell with the consequences.

That is the political realty that underlay the president's modest proposal of a "surge" to avert what he warns is a strategic disaster.

But Bush has to know the card he played is not going to save the pot into which he has plunged his legacy, the credibility of his country and America's standing as a superpower.

Which leads me to believe Bush has yet another card to play, an ace up his sleeve. What might that be?

Midway through his speech, almost as an aside, Bush made a pointed accusation at and issued a direct threat to -- Tehran.

Einstein

Well, blacks make up about 12% of the population and about 15% of the military so they are baring a little more of the burden. The average white family makes $44,000 and the average white recruit comes from a family that earns $33,000. So there is a little injustice there too. I admit it is not extreame however this is what the Democrat proposals for a draft are all about.

Well ... Maybe we should pass a law that would prohibit that last 3% from the privilege of serving in the military. That would make a lot more sense than what the Democrats are doing ... trying to start up the draft so we can have MORE military power. And what is to guarantee that there wouldn't still be an additional 3% .

I really don't like game playing ... and that seems to be what the Democrats are doing with this issue.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
But Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, a Kurd, contended the Iranians were working in a liaison office that had government approval and was in the process of being approved as a consulate.

Just think of it as a "late term diplomatic abortion."

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell