ClubAdventist is back!

Hillary: New Thatcher?

Dr. Shane

Hillary runs for the White House as ‘new Thatcher’

Quote:
HILLARY CLINTON is to be presented as America’s Margaret Thatcher as she tries to become the first woman to win the White House. As she entered the 2008 presidential race yesterday, a senior adviser said that her campaign would emphasise security, defence and personal strengths reminiscent of the Iron Lady.

“Their policies are totally different but they are both perceived as very tough,” said Terry McAuliffe, Clinton’s campaign chairman. “She is strong on foreign policy. People have got to know you are going to keep them safe.”

Quote:
The Clinton campaign intends to paint the Republican nominee as President George W Bush’s political heir, particularly over the war in Iraq. “George Bush is going to be on the ticket whether they like it or not,” McAuliffe added.

So their plan is to run against Bush even though Bush isn't running. adoh I know a lot of Republicans tried to tie Gore to Clinton in 2000 and that didn't work too well. I think this will all depend on the Republican canidate's position on Iraq. I certainly don't think the Clinton campaign can count on laying the Iraq problem on the Repubican canidate like they seem to be hoping.

I hope they get something better together. If Clinton were to get elected it would be bad for the Supreme Court, as she is so liberal. However if she was elected with coattails and brought in a larger Democrat majority with her, if could mean Americans would get universal health coverage. In my mind, that would be a good thing.

I will post a poll question in the poll section about it.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Shane

• lazarus

• David Koot

• Woody

Let us not insult Thatcher. She would turn over in her grave if she was dead ... at the thought of being compared with Hillary.

Please please ... Iron Thatcher had far more integrity than Hillary.

Just look at how Hillary has remade herself and her beliefs. She is a wolf in sheeps clothing. What she says now is nothing close to what she said as First Lady. And it is for political reasons. Don't tell me she has seen the light.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
Please please ... Iron Thatcher had far more integrity than Hillary.Just look at how Hillary has remade herself and her beliefs. She is a wolf in sheeps clothing. What she says now is nothing close to what she said as First Lady. And it is for political reasons. Don't tell me she has seen the light.

Explain what you mean here..."...far more integrity than Hillary"...

I can understand that being said of Former President Clinton....But Hillary?....PLease explain what you mean here, Redwood.....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

I wouldn't want to wish that on Laura. She is to good for that.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
Please please ... Iron Thatcher had far more integrity than Hillary.Just look at how Hillary has remade herself and her beliefs. She is a wolf in sheeps clothing. What she says now is nothing close to what she said as First Lady. And it is for political reasons. Don't tell me she has seen the light.

Explain what you mean here..."...far more integrity than Hillary"...

I can understand that being said of Former President Clinton....But Hillary?....PLease explain what you mean here, Redwood.....

If you read the entire post ... I explained why Hillary does not have integrity. She has remade herself politically. She has in another word .... FLIP FLOPPED. And like I said ... I don't think she has all of a sudden "seen the light". She has flipped on her beliefs for political reasons. She was to liberal to be elected and had to move more to the center. She has done this. But, like I said ... she is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

I believe in Hematology.

If you read the entire post ... I explained why Hillary does not have integrity. She has remade herself politically. She has in another word .... FLIP FLOPPED. And like I said ... I don't think she has all of a sudden "seen the light". She has flipped on her beliefs for political reasons. She was to liberal to be elected and had to move more to the center. She has done this. But, like I said ... she is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Ok, let me ask it a bit differently...

SHOW ME examples where she has not the integrity you claim that she has....

As for politicians remaking themselves, ummmmm...seems to me that they all are remaking themselves when they have a goal...So I don't see a real earthshaking disaster from this...I wonder what it is that you don't like about her...and why her "liberal policies" would be devistating to the US? After all, when her hubby was president, we had far less of a defict, and our reputation was not shot as it is now, and we had all sort of medical research going on in THIS country, instead of it being farmed out to other countrys....

Again, explain to me why these liberal policies would be bad for our country?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

One reason I don't think Hillary should become President, although I think she'd make a good one, is that the right wing has such a rabid, unreasoning, extreme hate for her that it would be sentencing the country to even *more* division and unproductive partisanship.

(I'm not including Redwood in this statement, but I hope s/he will be willing to, as Shane suggested, share more of the reasons for the dislike of Hillary that has been expressed here.)

Truth is important

If you are attracted by good economics then President Bush is your man He has improved things even more than Clinton.

However ... Back to your question.

What has Hillary done. What she has done is to move herself towards the way I personally believe. So ... I really can't criticize her as you have asked for.

I would simply point out that I do not feel she has integrity. I do not believe she has HONESTLY changed.

I will point out her support for the war. I feel this was a political move at the time. I do not believe she really did or does support the war. Now ... with the current atmosphere ... that may be a good thing. But ... personally I support the war. So if I believed her ... that would be a good thing.

I do not believe her. I do not trust her. Her only attempt at working for her president husband was a big disaster. If you recall her Health Care inititive was a big failure. She tried to hold secret meetings and would not disclose those who were participating. If you want secret government ... Vote Hillary. Obviously her Health care plan got NO Where. She wanted to impose big government on your ability to control your own Health Care. You would not have been able to go to the Physician of your choice.

So ... if you like Hillary making your choices for you ... then vote for Hillary.

Well .... I could go on and on. But,I think you get the picture.

I believe in Hematology.

Bravus ... One reason I would support Hillary being president .... is because of the very reasons you have outlined.. Because Hillary is so hated ... there would be gridlock. She would not accomplish much. The Republicans would fight her all the way.

I feel this gridlock would be good for America. The last thing we need is more Big Government. The less laws that are made the less freedoms we will lose. I strongly support gridlock.

If the Demos nominate someone else then the Republicans will cooperate more and I do not view that as positive.

I am sure you have your agenda that would be different than mine. But that is where I stand. I am opposed to Big Government telling me what I can do. And Hillary stands for Big Government.

I believe in Hematology.

I think Hillary is far better qualified for the office than wet-behind-the-ears Obama. She obviously knows how Washington works and knows how the White House works. She would have virtually no learning curve once she took over the job.

It is hard to say how she would handle the economy. Bill Clinton was blessed with Alan Greenspan and a strong, conservative Congress. If Hillary is elected and the Democrats maintain control it will be a different scene. The Democrats in control of Congress are more liberal than those that were in power the first two years of Bill's presidency. They could tax the country into a recession like what happened during the Carter presidency. This is certainly an area she needs to be clear on. I serious doubt she can get elected by running against the ghost of George Bush.

I think the far-right wing is into the Hillary hate thing. Unlike those that oppose Bush and can't see the Bush hatred out there, I can see the Hillary hatred clearly. However I don't think that most of the Republicans in Congress fall into that category. Politics is a give and take profession and I think Hillary would be able to work with most Republicans on the Hill.

• Moderators

Bush has done well on the economy only if you think living large on a huge number of credit cards is good personal finance management. Sure, the widescreen TV and all the toys look great, but the sky will soon be black with chickens coming home to roost.

Truth is important

The same thing was said of the 1980s. Reagon's tax cuts were called "Voodoo economics". We had a slight recession the first couple years in the '90s, which actually followed the tax increase where Bush the elder broke his "no new taxes" promise. The economy started picking up again in 1992 just in time for Clinton to take credit for it when he took office in '93. And the rest of the '90s were a boom up until the tech sector crashed at the very end.

Home ownership is up, including minories. Unemployment is low. I tip my hat to him. I was not honestly able to criticise President Clinton over his handling of the economy, nor can I with President Bush.

I would like to go back on topic.

The topic is Hillary.

I think that Hillary follows the Demo mantra which is "WELL ... I supported it before I opposed it"

What happens is in one town she will support it and the next town she says she is opposed to it and when asked about the previous night she will say ... Well I supported it before I opposed it.

I do not find integrity in this type of politics.

She opposed the war ... then she supported it and now she is back at opposing it. Give me a break.

I do have to give her credit. She has CONsistantly supported abortion, affirmation action, and gay marriage.

I believe in Hematology.

She has wiggled around on abortion. She has, at times, stated that abortion does more harm to women than may be commonly believed.

Could you be a little more specific than that Dave?

I look forward to the end ... so perhaps I SHOULD vote for her.

I've read the end of the book and I know who wins.

I believe in Hematology.

Hey ... I may have to amend what I've said.

On the news just now they said that Gov. Richardson has entered the race. Now ... of all the Democratic options ... I think he is the most experienced and skilled.

Don't worry ... I am not being converted to become a DEMO ... but I will point out that he is the best qualified.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I pray that Hillary doesn't seek to emulate Thatcher.

She was a disaster in many ways for the UK. Massive unemployment, destruction of the mining industry, a crumbling national health service, political isolation in europe etc.

She is the main reason why the Conservatives have lost the last 3 general elections. She destroyed the party with her shift to the right.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

I remember Hillary's statement belittling mother's staying home to "bake cookies" and I don't remember much of a vocal voice claiming innocent during those "white water" investigations. I seem to remember very little verbal exchange in the media until after this visit to Afghanistan oh and wouldn't you just know it she suddenly announces her intensions to run for president. Oh please........ and do you recall that she often went up on the roof and had exchanges with the "ghost" of Eleanor Roosevelt during the prior Clinton white house years? I wonder what is really in the hearts of those men in Afghanistan having to deal with Hillary and Condeleeza after keeping their own women in burlap bags with a small cellaphane window for peeping through.

I bet deep down they're just ecstatic don't you?!

annie, Just a few reminders.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Having grown up under the leadership of Thatcher I think that Hillary would have been able to sit quite comfortably in a Thatcher cabinet. The left in the USA is UK center/right even right on some issues.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

The Left in the US has only become an Anti-War party in the shadow of Vietnam. Historically the Left in the US has started more wars than the Right. Bill Clinton wasn't even all that Anti-War (i.e. Bosnia). It has really only been since the 9/11 attacks that the Anti-War wing of the Left has gained a lot of power in the Democrat party. That is primarily because the Democrats have been in the minority and the party saw the Anti-War movement as an opportunity to gain power. And, of course, that seems to have worked.

• Moderators

Probably best not to confuse 'anti-war' generally with 'anti this war' specifically. It's possible to think this Iraq war is the wrong war, fought for the wrong reasons, and still not be a blanket pacificist.

Truth is important

• Moderators

That is primarily because the Democrats have been in the minority and the party saw the Anti-War movement as an opportunity to gain power. And, of course, that seems to have worked.

I think your denying the overwhelming sentiment in the country that against this war. Most people have come to the conclusion, Democrats and Republicans, that this was the wrong war at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. I dont think there's much political opportunism involved here. Its simply facing reality. Bush will get there too!

Einstein