ClubAdventist is back!

We don't talk about making the Sabbath

Stan

• Administrators

Quote:
How to do it ...

In private ... can't become a stumbling block for someone if they don't know you went for a walk by a nice warm waterfall.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Actually, our restrictive views on Sabbath keeping are themselves a stumbling block.

My newest son-in-law, raised in an Adventist community near one of our colleges, after 4 months attending our church plant, surprised me one day.

"This place has totally changed my attitude toward Sabbath," he said. "Where I grew up, Sabbath was something to be endured until Saturday night. We slept if possible. Now I look forward to Sabbath every week. I just can't wait to get to church again. And when we're gone, I miss it."

Now, they had "Sabbath activities" galore in that college town. We don't. But we approach the Sabbath as a day for family, a day for building relationships, a day for celebration.

Would our practices be a "stumbling block" for traditional Adventists? They would no doubt say so. But the way most people 'keep' the Sabbath, it's funereal and boring. How could time with God actually be boring? It couldn't be. So, what are they actually doing?

Is the Sabbath less full of life--real life--or more?

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

It is even hard to organize church activities on Sabbath afternoon for our families or youth because there are always elements in the church that are so restrictive on what can be done.

My wife and I have a 1/2 of property we are living on and developing with Sabbath afternoon socials in mind. We hope to make it a Sabbath afternoon retreat we can invite others to.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Administrators

OK, having been chased off another Sabbath topic, I am here to pick up on my last thought posted over yonder... but I may just start a revolt rather than a revolution...

:SO

You ask how we can fix it so Sabbath is an unqualified delight?

1.) Stop going to church. tomato

Why, you ask? If going to church is the high point of your Sabbath, you may have missed the point of Sabbath. Does spending 3+ hours in church make you wish there were more hours in the day to do more Sabbath stuff? Or do you feel relieved that you are now 3+ hours closer to Saturday night? Is Sabbath just a diversion from spending time giving a Sabbath blessing to someone else that needs help/relief/encouragement, etc.?

Read Isaiah 58 to find out what brings delight to God. Apply those delightful activities to Sabbath keeping and make them your acts of Sabbath worship. And then compare them to Jesus' proclamation of his mission (Luke 4:18-19) and his picture of the final test at the end of time (Matthew 25:31-46).

OK here is a revolutionary idea of meeting together by true Sabbath keepers - a time to inspire and plan the above acts of worship for the rest of the day. Maybe a quick intense meeting on Friday evening so as to leave the whole next day to spreading Sabbath joy. Get a good nights sleep, because we have a lot to get accomplished tomorrow...

What if what we did on Sabbath was so delightful, that we cheated ourselves out of our own time the rest of the week (The commandment says the other 6 days are ours to do our thing and take care of ourselves...) by sneaking an opportunity to Sabbath someone else during the week. Would we call that non-Sabbath breaking?

OK everybody, out of the box we call church! What do you think?

Tom

Wahoo!! :---)

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

I am with you TOM.

Thank you for your fresh approach.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

If being at church on the Sabbath there is either something wrong with the church or the individual member.

If it is the church, the member needs to get more involved and change things (this is a slow process). If after sometime (3 to 5 years) the church seems resistant to change, the member should start their own company. If there are other Adventist churches in the area, they may just move their membership to one of them.

However often times it is easier for the individual member to adapt to the congregation than get the congregation to adapt to the individual member.

Fellowshipping and studying the Bible with fellow believers most certainly should be called a delight. I was a member of a Hispanic church once that had potluck every week. We all knew each other well. We knew what was happening in each of our lives. We shared each other joys and sorrows.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• 2 months later...

How about instead of having a list of things we CAN'T do, we have in our teachings a list of things we CAN do - more than a hike or sunshine bands, too. Having been raised an Adventist from the age of 11, I was always hit with what we can't do. I felt, like the person above, that it was a time to sleep or pass or get through until sundown Saturday and then you could have fun!!

My wife and I have a pass to the Nashville zoo, so it's free for us on Sabbaths. We also enjoy hiking our greenways and parks in the middle TN area. One natural area has canoe floats at dusk to get closer to the ducks and geese that inhabit the lake.

And then there are the occasions (like today) when my wife is working that I get on Club Adventist to help spend part of my Sabbath. :-)

Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

Yesterday I had a most delightful Sabbath! I spent it in a shopping centre!

OK, OK -- before I get censored -- I was there as part of our Adventist Health Association's outreach program, conducting health assessments and talking with the people. Yes, I missed church, Sabbath School, potluck lunch, and all the other "sabbath goodies", but I came home tired, happy, and praising God for a wonderful Sabbath.

We met so many people who actually ASKED - where was our church, because they would like to get to know a bit more about us!! Yes, we also promoted a coming evangelistic series, when the opportunity was there.

Basically, we were there promoting a good healthy lifestyle aided by the computer-based Health Age Assessment, but we also had some wonderful talks with the people. Your immediate vicinity (unless it is a little heaven) is full of people who are tired, stressed, and in need of someone who will just listen to them, let them unburden themselves, without condemnation or even pushing religion. When they know that we are there to help them, they will feel confident about taking just one more step closer to God.

Yes, I enjoy church, and would not want to miss too many weeks of being away from my church family -- but, if you want a "Sabbath buzz" -- get out and work for Him!

Beryl

"Grace is God doing for us, in us and through us that which He requires of us but which is impossible for us to do in or for ourselves."

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9.

Yes, I enjoy church, and would not want to miss too many weeks of being away from my church family -- but, if you want a "Sabbath buzz" -- get out and work for Him!

Beryl

Lift Jesus up!!

• 2 weeks later...

(31) And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days. (32) And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power. (33) And in the synagogue there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice, (34) Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God. (35) And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him, and hurt him not. (36) And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out. (37) And the fame of him went out into every place of the country round about. (38) And he arose out of the synagogue, and entered into Simon's house. And Simon's wife's mother was taken with a great fever; and they besought him for her. (39) And he stood over her, and rebuked the fever; and it left her: and immediately she arose and ministered unto them. Luke 4:31-39

What Jesus did on the first Sabbath of His ministry is to signal an attack against the forces of evil. He began a holy war to free mankind from the Adversary, His minions, and sin. The demon knew it, which is why it reacted the way it did. It threw a tantrum. If we would put what the demon said into modern, colloquial terms, it snapped at Jesus, "Why are You interfering here?" And Jesus came right back, with authority, "Shut your mouth! And come out of him."

The demon was not about to give up easily. It was probably a strong demon, but it did obey its Master and came out—yet not without thrashing the man around. Fortunately, the man was not hurt.

So the first shot that was fired in this war was a spiritual healing: Jesus liberated a man from a demon on the Sabbath day. He may have done a few other things before, but this was the first public act as part of His ministry.

This began the war for control of the earth, for the right to rule over it after He had defeated the demons' master, Satan. Jesus was showing that the demons would not fare any better than he. By casting out the demon, He restored order and peace to the congregation, as the possessed man had been causing trouble.

The second thing He did, then, was a physical healing that resulted in service to others. This unfortunate woman, who was bound by a disease, is relieved of it by Jesus Christ. Then she rose and immediately served everybody else. This ought to give us a clue—those of us who receive healing—as to what we are supposed to do with our healing. We are to rise and serve.

Here, in a nutshell, are major principles by which our Sabbath activities can be judged. The Sabbath is for redemption, liberty, joy, peace, and service that comes through fellowship and instruction that reorients our devotion to the right direction.

A heart where He alone has first place.

Quote:
Here, in a nutshell, are major principles by which our Sabbath activities can be judged. The Sabbath is for redemption, liberty, joy, peace, and service that comes through fellowship and instruction that reorients our devotion to the right direction.

So, if someone, like Beryl were to go to a mall, promoting the church by advertising the activities of the church [cooking schools, singles groups, stop smoking clinics, Christian grief counseling, vacation bible school, ect], how does this fit into your paradime [sp]?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

There's a vcrse in leviticus that says the sabbath is for convocation. This is backed up by the verses that state that it was Jesus' custom to be in the synagogue on the sabbath. Same with Paul. If someone wants to perform good works on sabbath afternoons, cool.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

There's a vcrse in leviticus that says the sabbath is for convocation. This is backed up by the verses that state that it was Jesus' custom to be in the synagogue on the sabbath. Same with Paul. If someone wants to perform good works on sabbath afternoons, cool.

Consider what the dictionary says is the definition of "convocations"-

American Heritage Dictionary -

n.

a]The act of convoking.

b]A group of people convoked, especially the members of a college or university community who are assembled for a ceremony.

c]An assembly of the clergy and representative laity of a section of a diocese of the Episcopal Church.

d]The district represented at such an assembly.

A clerical assembly of the Anglican Church similar to a synod but assembling only when called.

a]An assembly of the clergy and representative laity of a section of a diocese of the Episcopal Church.

b]The district represented at such an assembly.

con·voke-

To cause to assemble in a meeting; convene.

And here is what Easton bible dictionary says about the word-

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary -

Convocation

a meeting of a religious character as distinguished from congregation, which was more general, dealing with political and legal matters. Hence it is called an "holy convocation." Such convocations were the Sabbaths (Lev. 23:2, 3), the Passover (Ex. 12:16; Lev. 23:7, 8; Num. 28:25), Pentecost (Lev. 23:21), the feast of Trumpets (Lev. 23:24; Num. 29:1), the feast of Weeks (Num. 28:26), and the feast of Tabernacles (Lev. 23:35, 36). The great fast, the annual day of atonement, was "the holy convocation" (Lev. 23:27; Num. 29:7).

What do you mean?

I ask this because what you seem to be saying and what the dictionary says seem to be 2 different meanings.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

what I meant is consistent with what the definition given in the dictionary. The sabbath is for convocation, holy convocation. when people gather at church for worship, be it on saturday or whatever, that is considered holy convocation.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

what I meant is consistent with what the definition given in the dictionary. The sabbath is for convocation, holy convocation. when people gather at church for worship, be it on saturday or whatever, that is considered holy convocation.

Of course...You use convocation as a gathering for worship...But the dictionary usage, while inclusive of worship, places greater emphasis on political meetings, not a holy gathering for worship. And we don't use the Sabbath for political convocations in the strictist sense. We typically don't vote on the Sabbath, nor make our will known among the leadership unless we do so thru potlucks and other hobnobbing means, but NEVER for formal political meetings. We have board meeting on some other night for that....

George Bernard Shaw

• 2 months later...

Sometimes I feel like I get my true rest and spiritual refreshing on Sunday when there are no agendas, obligations, expectations... When I can truely fulfill Psalm 46:10

I need to change this but am not sure how. I'm going to spend some time reflecting, praying and studying this.

• 1 year later...

Sabbath is to be a delight to us.

So what makes for delight?

Sitting in my beautiful garden today with 3 lovely friends. Sharing a meal together, enjoying the birds in the avery, loving the cloud formations, the colours of the tuberous begonias dripping from the back wall.

Some of us, for physical reasons, can't get to church camp, so you find the next best thing and have SS lesson on the Hope channel, divine service on 3abn, and a delightful afternoon amongst nature.

Morepork

Quote:
Sometimes I feel like I get my true rest and spiritual refreshing on Sunday when there are no agendas, obligations, expectations... When I can truely fulfill Psalm 46:10

I need to change this but am not sure how. I'm going to spend some time reflecting, praying and studying this.

Amen to that...

There is a saying "You know you're an Adventist if Friday night and Saturday are the busiest times in your week."

I can just imagine Satan coming up with a plot..."those Adventists are very conscientious on the subject of the Sabbath - I'm not going to convince them that Sunday is the day of rest, they know their Bibles too well - but if I can make their Sabbath so busy that they are exhausted and long for Sunday, and get the rest and refreshment on Sunday that they should be getting on Sabbath, then I've won!"

aldona

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

Sundays are reserved for FOOTBALL.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

There is a saying "You know you're an Adventist if Friday night and Saturday are the busiest times in your week."

I can just imagine Satan coming up with a plot..."those Adventists are very conscientious on the subject of the Sabbath - I'm not going to convince them that Sunday is the day of rest, they know their Bibles too well - but if I can make their Sabbath so busy that they are exhausted and long for Sunday, and get the rest and refreshment on Sunday that they should be getting on Sabbath, then I've won!"

I think Satan has already come up with the plot.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• 4 weeks later...

The thing I don't like about Nature Walks on Saturday is because people tend to get carried away. They stop going to church and start going only on Nature Walks.

k3ur8n.gif

• Members

People usually go for nature walks AFTER church. But even if they didn't, you can see God's majesty in nature. Church isn't necessary to be saved. IMHO

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

True. But I go to a Romanian church and we go to church 2 times on Saturday. One in the morning and one in the afternoon at about 5 or 6 depending on time change. And normally if they have a Nature Walk habit then they will only go in the morning. I am not saying this as a bad thing. But spending more time with God is more important then spending time with what God made. ROFL

k3ur8n.gif

Quote:
spending more time with God is more important then spending time with what God made.

That can be taken either way - there are many of us who get much, much closer to God in nature than we ever can in a church with crowds of people getting in the way.

Especially those of us who are naturally shy or introverted, and find interacting with lots of people emotionally draining, and need solitary time in order to "recharge our batteries".

I come from a Polish background so I am familiar with the European "all day church" customs - and if Romanian churches are anything like Polish churches, I would be suffocating mentally by the end of the afternoon and looking longingly out of the window at the trees and flowers, as the glorious Sabbath day passes by...

...maybe I would slip out and go and meet God out in the forest...I think if He appeared in human form, He would be sitting under a tree and would say to me "I just couldn't take any more meetings, either! I had to get away!"

One size definitely does not "fit all", when it comes to worship!

aldona

aldona

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!