ClubAdventist is back!

We don't talk about not having a purpose and ....

Stan

We don't talk about not having a purpose and mission.

It is easy to be a nominal Adventist, existing, but not making a difference...

AND if a person does, they become the target for those who have done little, explaining how they would do things so much better.

The Church will not be a safe place to succeed until it becomes a safe place to fail.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Administrators

AND if a person does, they become the target for those who have done little, explaining how they would do things so much better.

The Church will not be a safe place to succeed until it becomes a safe place to fail.

:) It probably will not become a safe place to succeed ...

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

I am trying to consider how to make this comment without sounding repititious and critical. I can only say what is on my mind and hope it is taken in the love that I have for the church.

Stan ... you said ... "The Church will not be a safe place to succeed until it becomes a safe place to fail."

Our church structure is designed to judge when the member "fails". And then there is church discipline. Some say it is loving. I do not find this to be true. I think you love by example. And to comdemn another because of their "failing" just causes them to go elsewhere.

I would propose that when we see someone fall short and fail ... that we put our arms around them in love and say God loves you. We can point them in a better way by our example but to criticize and discipline does not seem to work from my experience.

To say we need a safe place to fail means just that ... tell the person it is Okay. WE LOVE YOU.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Agreed.

Often even with arms around a person and the words spoken in "love" we tend to come across as critical.

We come across as casting stones ... "he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

• Administrators

Or control them with guilt, "because I love you so much"

Sometimes it seems the price of being loved is just too high (:

• Moderators

Quote:

I would propose that when we see someone fall short and fail ... that we put our arms around them in love and say God loves you. We can point them in a better way by our example but to criticize and discipline does not seem to work from my experience.

Perhaps you have a misunderstanding of what discipline is? You might want to check what the Bible says about discipline. It is part of God's methods. The object of discipline is NOT criticism or punishment. It is restoration, Gal 6:1.

Gerry

The Bible gives us our purpose and mission. "Go and tell the world!"

Is that directive just for the church or for the followers or perhaps both?

Evangelist series is done by the church body...the whole body. The Church is a people not a building.

Since we are each a minister or servant of God, does that mean we cannot witness without the whole church fitting into the car as we take a mother with sick child to the doctors? Or have neighbors over for a healthy meal without every church member being there?

NO. We witness one on one. Are there times we will as one-- fail? Perhaps, but not if we go into the venture with a humble heart. The Holy Spirit will take up the slack.

Having a destination in mind is important for any journey. Whether we go on vacation or into our life long career.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

This thread seems to have gotten a little side-tracked.

backtopic

The Adventist church is more than a denomination. It is a movement. One of the wonderful things about having Adventist TV or radio in the home is being able to see the great things being accomplished by the church in all parts of the world. 3ABN Today regularly has guests on it that are doing fantastic things and it is not all work far away.

We are to prepare the way for the Lord. Consider opportunities available in most every local church.

• Sing at a local nursing home on Sabbath afternoon
  • Volunteer to do Bible studies in the local jail.
  • Volunteer to grade corrispondance Bible studies
  • Volunteer to work with youth groups like Pathfinders, Adventurers, AY, etc.
  • Work with Community Services
  • Volunteer to work with Family Ministries
  • Mentor a child in a single-parent home

Too often those doing this type of work are criticized by the "sofa quarterbacks" or "backseat drivers". However our attitude must be to ignore these agents of Satan. We have a wall to build.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity