ClubAdventist is back!

WAYNE HOOPER, legendary Adventist Composer

Stan

WAYNE HOOPER, legendary Adventist Composer and King's Heralds Quartet Baritone died Wednesday evening, February 28 at 8:45 at his home at Newbury Park, California.

He was 86.

In lieu of flowers the world church family is invited to remember his incredible contribution to Adventist hymnody and the General Conference theme song by doing two things next Sabbath:

(1) Sing his trademark song, "We Have This Hope."

(2) Make a contribution to the Wayne Hooper Memorial Fund at the Voice of Prophecy.

Funeral arrangements are pending for a memorial service in approximately 3-4 weeks.

He leaves to mourn his loss his wife Harriet; and their four children and families: Jim Hooper, Mrs. Jan Lind, David Hooper and Dan Hooper.

Lonnie Melashenko

DIRECTOR-SPEAKER, Voice of Prophecy

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Administrators

Wow- now there's a legend!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

He did far more than most will ever know.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

WE HAVE THIS HOPE

We have this hope that burns within our hearts,

Hope in the coming of the Lord.

We have this faith that Christ alone imparts,

Faith in the promises of His Word.

We believe the time is here, When the nations far and near

Shall awake, and shout, and sing - Halellujah! Christ the King!

We have this hope that burns within our hearts,

Hope in the coming of the Lord. SDA Hymnal # 214

We have this Hope Click her to listen

hooper_w.jpg

(From http://www.whiteestate.org/sop/2006/hymns.asp )

Wayne Hooper (1920-2007 ) wrote both the words and music to this song. At the time, he was the baritone and arranger for the King’s Heralds Quartet of the Voice of Prophecy radio broadcast. He had been asked to serve on the committee that was preparing music for the General Conference session of 1962. The committee’s chairman, Charles Keymer, encouraged him to try writing a theme song based on the session’s motto, “We Have This Hope.” Hooper made it a matter prayer that the Holy Spirit would impress him with the right combination of words and music that would bless the people at the session. For several years he had been studying the Brahms symphonies. Now, four prominent notes of a portion of one of those symphonies came to him suddenly as fitting the session’s theme exactly. All of the words and most of the music followed in about a half hour’s time. Hooper would later write of the experience, “This is the one time in my life that I feel very certain that I was ‘given’ the musical ideas from the Lord.”

“We Have This Hope” was used again as the theme song for the General Conference sessions of 1966, 1975, 1995, and 2000. It has been translated into many languages and is heard in many parts of the Adventist world.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

• Moderators

I was privileged to attend the 2006 Adventist Teacher's Convention in Nashville, Tennessee (it was close enough this time). The theme song, both words and music, for that convention was written by Wayne Hooper, who came in person to direct us the first time we sang it.

We're on a Journey to Excellence,

A highway paved with love;

We're longing to experience

Close friendship with God above.

Lord, teach us to be growing

In the skills we use each day,

And help us to be showing

Your true character, we prayer.

We're on a Journey to Excellence,

A highway paved with love.

We're longing to experience

Close friendship with God above.

Give us, Lord, an open mind,

A 'seeing eye,' a 'willing hand.'

Show us how to live and serve

With an 'understanding heart.'

I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the last musical compositions he ever did.

I have really appreciated his work, especially with the 1985 Church Hymnal. In our men's worship at Laurelbrook, we have been going through the hymnal hymn by hymn, and it is interesting to see the influence Wayne Hooper had on that group of hymns.

Truly he will be missed.

James Brenneman

• Moderators

Composing music was something that came so naturally to Wayne Hooper. One year he composed music to each one of the weekly Sabbath School memory verses.

Each Christmas he and his wife Harriet sent out a family newsletter. On the reverse side of the page each year Wayne printed a new hymn which he'd composed as a gift to the ones receiving their Christmas letter.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....