ClubAdventist is back!

Strangled Toddler Found in SDA Church Basin

Key Guy

From International Herald Tribune, Dateline: Brazil

Full text: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/03/05/america/LA-GEN-Brazil-Church-Murder.php

Quote:
The body of a strangled toddler was found inside the baptismal basin of an evangelical church in southern Brazil, police and church officials said Monday.

Eighteen-month-old Gabrielli Cristina Eichholz was found dead Saturday during services at the recently inaugurated Seventh-day Adventist Church in the city of Joinville, 400 kilometers (250 miles) southwest of Sao Paulo, said police inspector Rubens Passos de Freitas.

"Gabrielli was raped and then strangled to death. Her killer or killers also hit her over the head with a heavy blunt object," Freitas said.

No one has been arrested, and Freitas said police have no suspects. Parishioners of the small two-story concrete church were filtering in and out Monday, saying they were praying for the girl's soul.

"Everyone is in shock," church spokesman Felipe Lemos said. "Nothing like this has ever happened in any of our churches anywhere in the world."

Relatives took her to the church Saturday morning and left her in a room with some 20 other children being cared for by four members of the church, Freitas said.

After the services, Gabrielli's relatives went to the room to look for her but she was not there.

Parishioners found her floating face down in the baptismal basin, which is next to the altar but placed in such a way that "no one could see the water or anything else inside," Freitas said.

That is absolutely horrible! The perpetrator of this crime may have come in off the street or may have been a member. Children's Division leaders need to watch the children like hawks, even in church.

Right now I am drawing up the Volunteer Screening Policy for our Conference. It is something that all churches need. Children are the most valuable gift that God has given to his church. We can never be too careful!

Where I live, ALL persons who have anything to do with children are having to obtain a police clearance. Not that it is a sure thing that a person can be fully trusted, but at least it is something.

Beryl

"Grace is God doing for us, in us and through us that which He requires of us but which is impossible for us to do in or for ourselves."

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9.

It is difficult to know who a parent is if you don't know them. Like it says, this was probably a premeditated act. Hopefully it wasn't a member of that church. Hopefully it was someone who walked in off the street though if that was the case then the leader who let the girl go with them could have a definite problem. Nothing is failproof. A very sad event.

Members are just human sinners like all of us. Whether it was a member or someone from the community ... it was a sinner.

David and Moses were leaders and members ... but they were also both murderers.

God will forgive this person if they come to Him ... and it doesn't matter if they were members or not members. If they were members then perhaps they are more likely to ask God for forgiveness and that would be a better victory for all of us to witness.

God rejoices with all who are repentant sinners ... no matter what the sin.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

This is so shocking. How far can our world go before the Lord will finally bring it to a close?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

It is shocking - but it is not new. Horrible deeds much worse than this have been done countless times in the past.

/Bevin

• Administrators

True, but it still sickens and horrifies me

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

How about some positive suggests for people like Darlene who are working on implementing a plan for preventing future horrible crimes?

Darlene, in a previous church I attended, we began to make ID tags for the children in our Sabbath Schools. The ID tag was to be worn at all times and had a picture of the child and his parent(s)/guardian(s). Under no circumstances were the children ever to be released to anyone but those on the tag.

That is absolutely horrible! The perpetrator of this crime may have come in off the street or may have been a member. Children's Division leaders need to watch the children like hawks, even in church.

Right now I am drawing up the Volunteer Screening Policy for our Conference. It is something that all churches need. Children are the most valuable gift that God has given to his church. We can never be too careful!

Yes ... I would agree ... This is very important work. I will pray that you are guided with good ideas to make this a success.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

We have to be a little careful not to go overboard based on an extremely rare event.

This event should cause us to reassess the protection we give children from ALL risks, and make sure we are prioritizing them correctly.

For instance: it would be really stupid to put a lot of effort into this in a country where the church members are not seat-belting their children, because the effort should be put into educating them to use seat-belts, because that will save a lot more children's lives.

/Bevin

Thank you all. About five minutes ago I finished typing our Volunteer Screening policy and put it on the desks of our administrators asking for their suggestions. The next step is to go to our lawyer and then put into policy.

Hopefully something like what happened in Brazil will not happen in our Conference...........but it could and we have to be ready for such an event.

Chris[ti(a)n](e) that is an excellent suggestion! I'll keep it in mind. It is something we could use.

I agree that we should not go overboard with precautionary measures. However, our churches especially should be safe-havens for people. An extra effort to ensure the protection of all is worthwhile in my opinion. (I'm glad that the previous church I attended made these decisions before this tragedy happened. It cannot be misconstrued as an overboard reaction to a rare instance.)

That being said, once we have the children in our classes (because the parents feel safe enough to bring them to us), we can begin to educate them in other matters of safety.

In the meantime, wear your seatbelt AND your helmet.