Jessie-Jess

Boiling oatmeal on Sabbath...

62 posts in this topic

I guess I'm just very liberal when it comes to the Sabbath.  I do not recognize the Sabbath as related to the law, but rather as it is related to Christ's finished work. Therefore I refrain from all unnecessary, routine work (mostly employment) because about 2000 years ago God rested from His finished work of redemption in His Son, Jesus Christ.  See Hebrews 4:1-10.  I rest as a sign that I can add nothing to that perfect work. From my point of view the Sabbath is a sign of justification by faith.  That makes it very simple for me.

When we keep rules (in my opinion) we are forgetting what the Sabbath is really about.  Keeping rules, to me, gets one sidetracked into subtle legalism.  

Jessie-Jess likes this

35 minutes ago, Tom Wetmore said:

Did I break the Sabbath?

Paul, in his letter to the Hebrews, told the Jews of his day that "there still remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God".  

Weren't the Jews of Paul's day keeping the Sabbath?  Yes, they were keeping the day, but they weren't resting in the Lord of the Sabbath for their ticket to heaven.  Instead they, through their many Sabbath regulations, were busy keeping their numerous rules in order to obtain salvation.  That's why Paul encouraged them to enter God's Rest because in reality they were breaking the Sabbath. 

Jessie-Jess likes this

I keep rules for my Sabbath Keeping .... not to be in good favor with God. But for God to remain my Savior .
The Sabbath is just for that purpose. If we get sidetracked into the things of the world - how soon we forget God.
I've made strict rules to not compromise the Sabbath. Because I know if you give me an inch - I'll take a mile.
The part of the commandment that says to 'Remember' is the key word.

Jeannieb43, Jessie-Jess and Robert like this

4 hours ago, Tom Wetmore said:

It is Sabbath afternoon and I just now made the bed.  A bit rushed this morning with shower and shave, getting dressed,  breakfast and getting to church in time for parking lot duty starting with early service...  My wife was busy with other multiple things at church (graduation weekend and all that...)  So I came home a bit early and put some potatoes in the oven so we could have baked potatoes for lunch.  When they were about ready, I heated up some frozen salmon patties which really took less than 10 minutes.  A simple lunch really that required no more than 20 minutes of preparation effort (the oven worked longer than I did...) and maybe 5-10 minutes of cleanup afterwards. 

Did I break the Sabbath?

Why are you asking us? 

Tom, there are those that would probably say yes, and there are others that would say no!!

Jessie-Jess likes this

"Nature must continue its work, or mortals would die. And they also have a work to do on this day. The necessities of life must be attended to, the sick must be cared for, the wants of the needy must be supplied. God does not desire His creatures to suffer an hour's pain that may be relieved on the Sabbath or any other day.

Heaven's work never ceases, and we should never rest from doing good. Our own work the law forbids us to do on the rest day of the Lord. The toil for a livelihood must cease; no labor for worldly pleasure or profit is lawful upon that day. But the Sabbath is not to be spent in useless inactivity. As God ceased from His labor of creating, and rested upon the Sabbath, so we are to rest. He bids us lay aside our daily occupations, and devote those sacred hours to healthful rest, to worship, and to holy deeds." -Ellen G. White, The Story of Jesus p. 74

It's good to remember those wise words. Jesus called them blind that strained at gnats in order to swallow camels (Matt.23:24)

I thought you people would find it interesting to see documentation of how adventists dealt with cooking on the Sabbath in the 1890's. As you'll see, "preparing food on Friday" did also require some preparation of the food on the Sabbath:

-

SCIENCE IN THE KITCHEN.

A SCIENTIFIC TREATISE ON FOOD SUBSTANCES AND THEIR DIETETIC PROPERTIES, TOGETHER WITH A PRACTICAL EXPLANATION OF THE PRINCIPLES OF HEALTHFUL COOKERY,
AND A LARGE NUMBER OF ORIGINAL, PALATABLE, AND WHOLESOME RECIPES.

BY
MRS. E.E. KELLOGG, A.M.Superintendent of the Sanitarium School of Cookery and of the Bay View Assembly School of Cookery, and Chairman of the World's Fair Committee on Food Supplies, for Michigan

[...]

SABBATH BILL OF FARE.

BREAKFAST

Fresh Fruit
Rolled Wheat with Cream
Prune Toast
Whole-Wheat Bread
Toasted Waters
Buns
Fresh Strawberries

DINNER

Canned Green Corn Soup
Creamed Potato
Green Peas
Tomato and Macaroni
Rice
Toasted Wafers
Beaten Biscuit
Buns
Canned Peaches
Fruit and Nuts

Both the rolled wheat and rice may be prepared the day previous, as may also the prune sauce for the toast, the buns, bread, and nearly all the other foods. The potatoes can be boiled and sliced, the corn for the soup rubbed through the colander and placed in the ice chest, the green peas boiled but not seasoned, and the macaroni cooked and added to the tomato but not seasoned. The berries may be hulled, the nuts cracked, and the canned fruit opened. If the table is laid over night and covered with a spread to keep off dust, a very short time will suffice for getting the Sabbath breakfast. Heat the rolled wheat in the inner dish of a double boiler. Meanwhile moisten the toast; and heat the prune sauce.

To prepare the dinner, all that is necessary is to add to the material for soup the requisite amount of milk and seasoning, and heat to boiling; heat and season the peas and macaroni; make a cream sauce and add the potatoes; reheat the rice, which should have been cooked by steaming after the recipe given on page 99.

All may be done in half an hour, while the table is being laid, and with very little labor.

---

source: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12238/12238-h/12238-h.htm#Page_548

rudywoofs (Pam) and Stan like this

Romans 14:

Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

we are not living in a time when to bathe you may have had to hitch up the wagon to haul some water, chop some wood, fire up the stove,  heat up the water, drag in the tub, block out the bathing area for privacy, which was often near the stove, and fill up a tub, bathe and then dress and then have several more family members bathe to save resources and energy, take down the privacy blankets and put them away and then do some wash in the bath water, things like blankets and such. then empty the tub.

no wonder it was advised to not bathe on Sabbath.

but we have such conveniences and ease of cooking, we spend so much less time doing any of the kitchen or bathing tasks.  

but i say it is lovely to have food prepared in advance, especially if there is company so we can relax and chat waiting for delicious food to warm, and maybe cut a fresh salad.  it's great to bake on Friday or during the week and freeze to have nice dessert ready to pull warmed from the oven.

i like preparing a nice pot of black bean tortilla soup, or lentil soup on Friday for Sabbath.  Throwing potatoes in the oven Sabbath morning in a timed oven is quick and so easy.

In my view, the Sabbath is not to be so cumbered with rules that we are distracted from our fellowship to follow rules.

The Wanderer and Tom Wetmore like this

I know a couple who will wash dishes on Sabbath; but they say it is "Sabbath-breaking" to dry them on Sabbath. lol

Edited by The Wanderer

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Mega Footer

You can configure this content inside your ACP under Customization > Edit > Mega Footer.

Mega Footer

You can configure this content inside your ACP under Customization > Edit > Mega Footer.