jbal7

Satan's Alien Agenda

This may sound silly, it's something I've been pondering. I've heard others talk about it on youtube and stuff. Seems like 'aliens' are a hot topic in the media right now. The more people watch these movies the more they become desensitized to the idea of an alien encounter. What are your thoughts on satan performing an alien encounter? Of course they'd be evil angels disguised as aliens. If he did this he could have them say stuff to dis credit God, or even say that they are god! I think people would go right along with it and believe any word they said and it wouldn't even be all that shocking to anyone considering all the movies we have. Don't get me wrong, I like sci fi and alien movies but I can see how the devil could twist and manipulate this to his will. Whatcha think?

Kevin H likes this

That statement has been used by the church for as long as I can remember. From the pulpit, to teachers, etc. It is a scare tactic.  [Substitute whatever topic about] anything you want, to scare people into not making their own decisions about the content of their lives.

Edited by Tom Wetmore
Quoted material removed

I didn't really mean it as scare tactics but rather a real possibility. I've never heard this from a teacher or pastor. 

Edited by Tom Wetmore

I have heard sermons preached on the subject, granted a long time ago, but in a college town. I may be mistaken, but I think the 'source' for the idea came from EGW writings, or least that is what we were told. It had to do with her warning about reading 'fiction'. Don't know where she came up with the idea, but I don't believe it. Much study has been done trying to make violent video games the reason for desensitized youth in the search for 'culprits' in mass murder by them. I see it as a crutch for taking away personal responsibility for our actions or thoughts. That is.....the devil made me do it!!

I really doubt that books or movies will make people any more likely to accept or reject 'alien encounter'. Well....there is a saying about never underestimating peoples ability to believe a lie! 

I agree with this. But desensitizing wasn't really the focal point behind the topic. What I was trying convey was the idea of satan creating an alien encounter. To lead be astray from God. The desensitizing comes in as way to slowly bring people to the idea that if it did happen it wouldn't be all that unbelievable. 

Edited by Tom Wetmore

I do think it's an interesting idea. There's value in thinking about whether, e.g., it might be more plausible to people in a more-secular world if Satan appeared as an advanced alien than as an 'angel of light'. If more people believe in extraterrestrial life than in angels, the Father of Lies may well draw on that belief as a way in.

One tricky question: how do we discern, so that we don't be those people who, when the real aliens come, assume they are demons? ;)

(FWIW, with my science hat on I think the chance that real aliens will come is extremely close to zero - space is just too big)

Naomi likes this

Good points. It's my personal belief that any life out there, and I believe there is, is un fallen to sin..only earth fell. Thus, they have perfect harmony/union with God. Therefore I think the whole universe is watching us, maybe not physically but at least being relayed messages via angels. So, I don't think we'll ever see any 'real' aliens. I don't know if God would want them to interfere with us. If one came down I'd be extremely skeptical. 

Edited by Tom Wetmore
Naomi likes this

Yes, I realised later that that's one implication of what I said: if it's vanishingly improbable that real aliens will appear, if aliens appear we would do well to be skeptical, or at least reserve judgment while we see what their agenda is.

JoeMo, jbal7, phkrause and 1 other like this

The other thing is, I very much doubt that aliens, if they did arrive, would look like us. (Or, as in Star Trek, us with an exciting array of bumpy foreheads!)

I guess that partly depends on whether (a) we think they evolved on different worlds under different selection pressures and with a different history or (b) how imaginative we think God the Creator is (and based on the evidence on earth, 'pretty creative' is a reasonable answer!)

jbal7 likes this

Most defiantly wouldn't look like us. After all were the only beings made in God's image, right? I also could see other worlds that don't even have self aware beings, say a world of animals. This makes me think, if we are the only ones made in God's image why us? I suppose it's safe to say He's made countless other worlds with intelligent beings, who probably stood the test of sin. Why choose then at some point to make a world with inhabitants of His image? Then of course were the ones to mess it all up and sin.

Edited by jballew7

Perhaps aliens from other inhabited moons or worlds have been sending drones (exploratory "vehicles") here for some time. If the drones are images, or, are visible from our dimension into theirs, that might explain the impossibly rapid changes in direction and speed.

As humans, we could be very susceptible to deception by extraterrestrial visitors misrepresenting reality.

jbal7 likes this

I am enjoying this thread .... it's refreshing and I believe is food for thought. 

jbal7 likes this

The useful function of science fiction and fantasy is to allow moral and ethical thought experiments that can take a variety of departures from the real world. Sometimes the point is to speculate about a situation that may be possible in the future; other times it's to take real-world situations, and repackage them in different costumes to get people to examine them without their normal prejudices. Sometimes the point of a story about aliens is to use them as a contrast to examine parts of human nature.  There are plenty of possible purposes that are not particularly satanic, although it is true that a lot of alien contact scenarios would be theologically troublesome if they actually happened. 

jbal7, The Wanderer, Raphael and 1 other like this

This started out as Satan trying to fool us,with an alien encounter.  It is turning into science fiction.  One poster said only unfallen beings were 'out there'.  Where do you think the Evil  one and his crew are?  They ARE out there and I believe some u f o sightings are from the devil.  We will not be fooled because we know what the true scenerio is period.

Just an aside, we do NOT know what the unfallen beings on the other worlds look like.  We know Jesus said let us make man in OUR image - which could mean this time it will be like Us, and the other times could be something different. 

jbal7 likes this

I agree Ellen :). The devil and his fallen angels Are out there, here, working every second to detour us from Jesus. But do we have any reason to believe they are anywhere besides Earth? I was always told that the evil ones are bound to this Earth. If this is the case, than we could assume that any true ufo was unevil. But then the question is, would God allow other beings to interfere with us and our dilemma? If not than Any ufo sighting is most definitely the Devils manifestation. I would love some scripture or egw on whether or not fallen angels or the devil can leave. This also makes me think of Revelation and when the devil is bound by the chain. Isn't this so he cannot leave? So maybe he currently can? I don't know but I think there's a lot of "what if's" that hinge on if they can or cannot leave. 

I tend more to assume there are those "dying" from boredom and would love a refreshing escape from this boring reality.. More towards just plain fun.. I don't think it's harmful, is it?

I posted in my FB about the groundless criticisms against Batman V Superman and said these critics are certainly in league and in a conspiracy with aliens & Lex Luthor againts our super heroes.. You agree?

Raphael, I saw the movie and I like it for the most part. Wasn't to big on the religious symbolism and comparisons to Christ. I don't understand your question though?

I saw a UFO once while traveling from Houston TX to Beaumont TX.  I was with my Step Dad. I was in the back seat and he was driving.  I was about ten years old.   We were traveling East and the thing was in the South, to our right.  It was about 3pm in the afternoon.  We were on highway Interstate 10.  Other cars were on the road.  I am sure they saw it too.  It came out from behind a large bank of clouds up in the sky.  It was rather large and circular in shape, like a saucer.  It had a edge and inside the edge was a superstructure.  Along the superstructure were windows or portals.  The portals were all aligned and uniform in size and shape.   The ship or thing was tilted toward us, at an angle.

I asked my Dad what is that?  He replied I don't know son.  So, he was seeing the same thing I was.   I kept looking at the large ship.  Eventually it began to sort of dissolve back into a cloud.  Soon it was nothing but clouds.  My Dad and I never spoke about this again.  I know this happened.  I saw what I saw.  it was not a dream. 

It was mentioned a few times in classes at Atlantic Union College.

About your comments re the purpose of science fiction and fantasy -  thats very well said! :)

I realize that what I described is a different issue from the programming that concentrates on present day UFO sightings and mythology of ancient visitors. Giorgio-Tsoukalos-hal-hefner-ancient-aliens.jpg