Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
james423

Lesson 1, 2016 - Crisis in Heaven

Crisis in Heaven   3 members have voted

1. 1. The epic fight we call the Great Controversy started because:

• Satan wanted everything for himself.
    • Earthly humans and heavenly angels were alike oppressed by God.
    • Satan became jealous of Christ because Christ was part of the Godhead.
    • All of above answers are correct.
    • None of the above answers are correct.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Overall Question: How did Christ and Satan come to locked into a fight?

Memory Text: Revelation 7:10 New King James Version “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”

Sunday – The Fall in Heaven

Isaiah 14:4 New Century Version On that day Israel will sing this song about the king of Babylon: The cruel king who ruled us is finished; his angry rule is finished!

Isaiah 14:12-15 New Century Version 12 King of Babylon, morning star, you have fallen from heaven, even though you were as bright as the rising sun!  In the past all the nations on earth bowed down before you,but now you have been cut down. 13 You told yourself, “I will go up to heaven. I will put my throne above God’s stars. I will sit on the mountain of the gods, on the slopes of the sacred mountain. 14 I will go up above the tops of the clouds. I will be like God Most High.” 15 But you were brought down to the grave, to the deep places where the dead are.

Isaiah 14:13 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY The “king of Babylon” was a heathen, and in heathen mythology the gods held their council meetings on a high mountain, where they determined the affairs of earth. The literal “king of Babylon” would thus presume to usurp the control of the gods—that is, supreme authority—over the affairs of earth. As king of mystical Babylon. Satan would similarly aspire to control the councils of heaven, that is, to rule the universe of God.

Ezekiel 28:2 English Standard Version “Son of man, say to the prince of Tyre, Thus says the Lord God: “Because your heart is proud, and you have said, ‘I am a god, I sit in the seat of the gods,in the heart of the seas,’ yet you are but a man, and no god, though you make your heart like the heart of a god.

Monday – The Prince of This World

John 12:31 Common English Bible Now is the time for judgment of this world. Now this world’s ruler will be thrown out.

John 12:31 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES The death of Christ was to be the most grand and effectual of all means that could be used to establish the authority of the law and the government of God. This it did by showing the regard which God had for his law; by showing his hatred of sin, and presenting the strongest motives to induce man to leave the service of Satan; by securing the influences of the Holy Spirit, and by his putting forth his own direct power in the cause of virtue and of God. The death of Jesus was the determining cause, the grand crisis, the concentration of all that God had ever done, or ever will do, to break down the kingdom of Satan, and set up his power over man.

John 14:30 Common English Bible I won’t say much more to you because this world’s ruler is coming. He has nothing on me.

John 16:31 Good News Bible and they are wrong about judgement, because the ruler of this world has already been judged.

Job 1:6-7 Holman Christian Standard Bible 6 One day the sons of God  came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them. 7 The Lord asked Satan, “Where have you come from? ”

“From roaming through the earth,” Satan answered Him, “and walking around on it.”

Job 2:1-2 Holman Christian Standard Bible 1 One day the sons of God  came again to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them to present himself before the Lord. 2 The Lord asked Satan, “Where have you come from? ” “From roaming through the earth,” Satan answered Him, “and walking around on it.”

Job 2:1 COMMENTARY BY ADAM CLARKE Satan pursues man with implacable enmity, and that he can do no man hurt, either in his person or property, but by the especial permission of God; and that God gives him permission only when he purposes to overrule it for the greater manifestation of his own glory, and the greater good of his tempted followers.

Tuesday – War in Heaven

Revelation 12:7-16 English Standard Version 7 Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, 8 but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. 10 And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. 11 And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death. 12 Therefore, rejoice, O heavens and you who dwell in them! But woe to you, O earth and sea, for the devil has come down to you in great wrath, because he knows that his time is short!” 13 And when the dragon saw that he had been thrown down to the earth, he pursued the woman who had given birth to the male child. 14 But the woman was given the two wings of the great eagle so that she might fly from the serpent into the wilderness, to the place where she is to be nourished for a time, and times, and half a time. 15 The serpent poured water like a river out of his mouth after the woman, to sweep her away with a flood. 16 But the earth came to the help of the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed the river that the dragon had poured from his mouth.

Revelation 12:9 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY The controversy in heaven began over plans for the creation of man. When the earth was created and Adam was appointed its vicegerent, Satan directed his efforts at overthrowing the newly created man. When he succeeded in bringing about the downfall of Adam and Eve he claimed the earth as his domain. However, he did not confine his efforts to this earth but tempted also the inhabitants of other worlds. Not until the second coming of Christ will Satan be completely confined to this earth.

Wednesday – Satan Evicted

Luke 10:1-21 Modern English Version 1 After this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them two by two ahead of Him into every city and place where He Himself was about to come. 2 He said to them, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Pray therefore the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 Go your ways. Listen, I am sending you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Carry no purse, no bag, no shoes, and greet no one on the road. 5 “When you enter a house, first say, ‘Peace be to this house.’ 6 If a son of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him; but if not, it will return upon you. 7 Remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they give, for the laborer is worthy of his hire. Do not go from house to house. 8 “When you enter a city and they receive you, eat what is set before you. 9 Heal the sick who are there and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ 10 But when you enter a city and they do not receive you, go your way out into their streets and say, 11 ‘Even the dust of your city which clings to us, we wipe off against you. Yet be sure of this, that the kingdom of God has come near to you.’ 12 But I say to you, it will be more tolerable on that Day for Sodom than for that city. 13 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon which have been done for you, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. 14 But it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the judgment than for you. 15 And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? You will be thrust down to hell.

16 “He who listens to you listens to Me, he who rejects you rejects Me, and he who rejects Me rejects Him who sent Me.”17 The seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us through Your name.” 18 He said to them, “I saw Satan as lightning fall from heaven. 19 Look, I give you authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy. And nothing shall by any means hurt you. 20 Nevertheless do not rejoice that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”

21 At that time Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I thank You, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, for it was Your good pleasure.

Luke 10:18 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Satan was a conquered foe. In this statement Jesus looked forward to the crucifixion, when the power of Satan would be broken. He saw also the time when sin and sinners would be no more. The Seventy had witnessed the expulsion of Satan from the lives of individual men; Jesus “beheld” his complete downfall.

Thursday – The Continuing Battle

John 16:33 New English Translation I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In the world you have trouble and suffering, but take courage – I have conquered the world.”

John 16:33 PEOPLE’S NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARY In this world his disciples would be persecuted and have sorrow, but he bids them be of good cheer. The world can only afflict for a season; it is a conquered world; Christ has overcome it.

Hebrews 12:1-2 New English Translation 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, we must get rid of every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and run with endurance the race set out for us, 2 keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith. For the joy set out for him he endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:1 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY The metaphor of v. 1 imagines the Christian to be an athlete making final preparations to run a race in an ancient stadium, with the spectators seated on benches rising tier above tier on all sides. The athlete, intent upon winning the race, glances momentarily at the mass of faces that surrounds him like a cloud. Here, the “witnesses” are the uncounted worthies of faith mentioned in ch. 11, each of whom, despite handicaps and hindrances of every kind, finished his course with joy. Their faithfulness and endurance brought them victory in the race of life. Conscious that the eyes of the faithful of all ages are now intently fixed upon him, as it were, the Christian athlete experiences an urgent impulse to put forth every effort to win the race that has been marked out for him.

Hebrews 11:4-7 New International Reader’s Version 4 Abel had faith. So he offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain did. Because of his faith Abel was praised as a godly man. God said good things about his offerings. Because of his faith Abel still speaks. He speaks even though he is dead. 5 Enoch had faith. So he was taken from this life. He didn't die. He just couldn't be found. God had taken him away. Before God took him, Enoch was praised as one who pleased God. 6 Without faith it isn't possible to please God. Those who come to God must believe that he exists. And they must believe that he rewards those who look to him.

7 Noah had faith. So he built an ark to save his family. He built it because of his great respect for God. God had warned him about things that could not yet be seen. Because of his faith he showed the world that it was guilty. Because of his faith he was considered right with God.

Hebrews 11:8-13 New Revised Standard Version “8 By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for a place that he was to receive as an inheritance; and he set out, not knowing where he was going. 9 By faith he stayed for a time in the land he had been promised, as in a foreign land, living in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise.