Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
james423

Lesson 2 (1st 2016) Crisis in Eden

Overall Question:  What really caused the crisis in Eden?

Memory Text: Genesis 3:15 New International Reader’s Version I will put hatred between you and the woman. Your children and her children will be enemies. Her son will crush your head. And you will crush his heel."

Sunday – Three Blessings

Genesis 1:22 Common English Bible Then God blessed them: "Be fertile and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let the birds multiply on the earth."

Genesis 1:28 Common English Bible God blessed them and said to them, "Be fertile and multiply; fill the earth and master it. Take charge of the fish of the sea, the birds in the sky, and everything crawling on the ground."

Genesis 1:28 COMMENTARY BY JAMIESON, FAUSSET, AND BROWN The human race in every country and age has been the offspring of the first pair. Amid all the varieties found among men, some black, some copper-colored, others white, the researches of modern science lead to a conclusion, fully accordant with the sacred history, that they are all of one species and of one family.

Monday – The Test at the Tree

Genesis 1:4 Modern English Version God saw that the light was good, and God separated the light from the darkness.

Genesis 1:6-7 Modern English Version 6 Then God said, “Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.” 7 So God made the expanse and separated the waters which were under the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse.

Genesis 1:14 Holman Christian Standard Bible “Then God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night. They will serve as signs for festivals and for days and years.”

Genesis 1:18 Holman Christian Standard Bible “to dominate the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good.”

Genesis 1:21 Holman Christian Standard Bible “So God created the large sea-creatures and every living creature that moves and swarms in the water, according to their kinds. /He also created/ every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.”

Genesis 1:24-25 New Century Version 24 Then God said, “Let the earth be filled with animals, each producing more of its own kind. Let there be tame animals and small crawling animals and wild animals, and let each produce more of its kind.” And it happened. 25 So God made the wild animals, the tame animals, and all the small crawling animals to produce more of their own kind. God saw that this was good.

Genesis 2:15-17 New Revised Standard Version “15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to till it and keep it. 16 ¶ And the LORD God commanded the man, "You may freely eat of every tree of the garden; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die."”

Genesis 2:17 COMMENTARY BY ADAM CLARKE As God is sovereign, he has a right to give to his creatures what commands he thinks proper. An intelligent creature, without a law to regulate his conduct, is an absurdity; this would destroy at once the idea of his dependency and accountableness.  Man must ever feel God as his sovereign, and act under his authority, which he cannot do unless he have a rule of conduct.

Genesis 2:17 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY “In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die,” literally, “dying thou shalt die,” means that upon the day of transgression sentence would be pronounced. Man would pass from the status of conditional immortality to that of unconditional mortality. Just as prior to his fall Adam could be certain of immortality, vouchsafed to him by the tree of life, so now, subsequent to that catastrophe, his mortality was just as certain. This, more than immediacy of physical death, is what the language implies.

Tuesday – The Fall, Part 1

Genesis 3:1-5 New English Translation 3 Now the serpent was more shrewd than any of the wild animals that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Is it really true that God said, ‘You must not eat from any tree of the orchard’?” 2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit from the trees of the orchard; 3 but concerning the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the orchard God said, ‘You must not eat from it, and you must not touch it, or else you will die.’” 4 The serpent said to the woman, “Surely you will not die, 5 for God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will open and you will be like divine beings who know good and evil.”

Genesis 3:5 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Satan proceeded to give a plausible reason for God’s prohibition. He charged God with: (1) Envy of His creatures’ happiness. Satan said in effect, “Depend upon it, it is not through any fear of your dying from its fruit that the tree has been prohibited, but through fear of your becoming rivals of your Master Himself.” (2) Falsehood. Satan charged that God lied when He said death would follow the eating of the fruit.

Wednesday – The Fall, Part 2

Genesis 3:4-7 Easy-to-Read Bible 4 But the snake said to the woman, “You will not die. 5 God knows that if you eat the fruit from that tree you will learn about good and evil, and then you will be like God!”  6 The woman could see that the tree was beautiful and the fruit looked so good to eat. She also liked the idea that it would make her wise. So she took some of the fruit from the tree and ate it. Her husband was there with her, so she gave him some of the fruit, and he ate it. 7 Then it was as if their eyes opened, and they saw things differently. They saw that they were naked. So they got some fig leaves, sewed them together, and wore them for clothes.

Genesis 3:6 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY After doubt and unbelief in God’s word had been awakened in the woman, the tree seemed vastly different to her. Three times mention is made of how charming it was; it appealed to her taste, to her eye, and to her longing for increased wisdom.

Genesis 3:6-8 COMMENTARY BY MATTHEW HENRY Observe the steps of the transgression: not steps upward, but downward toward the pit. 1. She saw. A great deal of sin comes in at the eye. Let us not look on that which we are in danger of lusting after, Mt 5:28. 2. She took. It was her own act and deed. Satan may tempt, but he cannot force; may persuade us to cast ourselves down, but he cannot cast us down, Mt 4:6. 3. She did eat. When she looked perhaps she did not intend to take; or when she took, not to eat: but it ended in that. It is wisdom to stop the first motions of sin, and to leave it off before it be meddled with. 4. She gave it also to her husband with her. Those that have done ill, are willing to draw in others to do the same. 5. He did eat. In neglecting the tree of life, of which he was allowed to eat, and eating of the tree of knowledge, which was forbidden, Adam plainly showed a contempt of what God had bestowed on him, and a desire for what God did not see fit to give him.

Thursday – The Consequences

Genesis 3:10-19 Common English Bible 10 The man[a] replied, “I heard your sound in the garden; I was afraid because I was naked, and I hid myself.” 11 He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat from the tree, which I commanded you not to eat?” 12 The man said, “The woman you gave me, she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate.” 13 The Lord God said to the woman, “What have you done?!” And the woman said, “The snake tricked me, and I ate.” 14 The Lord God said to the snake, “Because you did this, you are the one cursed out of all the farm animals, out of all the wild animals. On your belly you will crawl, and dust you will eat every day of your life. 15 I will put contempt    between you and the woman, between your offspring and hers. They will strike your head, but you will strike at their heels.” 16 To the woman he said, “I will make your pregnancy very painful; in pain you will bear children. You will desire your husband, but he will rule over you.” 17 To the man he said, “Because you listened to your wife’s voice and you ate from the tree that I commanded, ‘Don’t eat from it,’ cursed is the fertile land because of you; in pain you will eat from it every day of your life.18 Weeds and thistles will grow for you, even as you eat the field’s plants;

19 by the sweat of your face you will eat bread—until you return to the fertile land, since from it you were taken; you are soil, to the soil you will return.”

Genesis 3:12 COMMENTARY BY ADAM CLARKE Adam is obliged to acknowledge his transgression; but he does this in such a way as to shift off the blame from himself, and lay it upon God and upon the woman!

Genesis 3:13 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Neither Adam nor his wife denied the facts, but each sought to escape blame by incriminating someone else. Neither gave evidence of contrition. One noteworthy difference, however, exists between their confessions. The woman protested that she had been deceived; Adam tacitly admitted his act had been deliberate, in full knowledge of its consequences.

Genesis 3:14-15 COMMENTARY BY MATTHEW HENRY God passes sentence; and he begins where the sin began, with the serpent. The devil's instruments must share in the devil's punishments. Under the cover of the serpent, the devil is sentenced to be degraded and accursed of God; detested and abhorred of all mankind: also to be destroyed and ruined at last by the great Redeemer, signified by the breaking of his head.

Genesis 3:16 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Though oppressed by man and tortured by the pains of childbirth, the woman would still feel an intense desire for her husband. Commentators have been divided in their opinion as to whether this is part of the punishment. It seems reasonable to conclude that this “desire” was given to alleviate the sorrows of womanhood and to bind the hearts of husband and wife ever more closely together.

Genesis 3:16-19 COMMENTARY BY MATTHEW HENRY God put marks of displeasure on Adam. 1. His habitation is cursed. God gave the earth to the children of men, to be a comfortable dwelling; but it is now cursed for man's sin. Yet Adam is not himself cursed, as the serpent was, but only the ground for his sake. 2. His employments and enjoyments are embittered to him. Labour is our duty, which we must faithfully perform; it is part of man's sentence, which idleness daringly defies. Uneasiness and weariness with labour are our just punishment, which we must patiently submit to, since they are less than our iniquity deserves. Man's food shall become unpleasant to him. Yet man is not sentenced to eat dust as the serpent, only to eat the herb of the field. 3. His life also is but short; considering how full of trouble his days are, it is in favour to him that they are few. Yet death being dreadful to nature, even when life is unpleasant, that concludes the punishment. Sin brought death into the world: if Adam had not sinned, he had not died. He gave way to temptation, but the Saviour withstood it.

dgrimm60 and Jeannieb43 like this