Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
james423

Lesson 3 - Global Rebellion and the Patriarchs

Patriarchs  

1. 1. Which patriarch contributed most to God's solution of Satan's global rebellion?

• Noah
    • Abraham
    • Joseph
    • Abel
    • Jacob
    • None of the above

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Overall Question: How did the early world leaders like Abel, Cain, Noah, Abraham, and Joseph fit into the history of Satan's and God's ongoing clash?

Memory Text: Genesis 28:15 I am with you now, I will protect you everywhere you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done everything that I have promised you.”

Sunday – Cain and Abel

Genesis 4:1-15 Contemporary English Version 1 Adam and Eve had a son. Then Eve said, “I’ll name him Cain because I got him with the help of the Lord.” 2 Later she had another son and named him Abel. Abel became a sheep farmer, but Cain farmed the land. 3 One day, Cain gave part of his harvest to the Lord, 4 and Abel also gave an offering to the Lord. He killed the first-born lamb from one of his sheep and gave the Lord the best parts of it. The Lord was pleased with Abel and his offering, 5 but not with Cain and his offering. This made Cain so angry that he could not hide his feelings.  6 The Lord said to Cain: What’s wrong with you? Why do you have such an angry look on your face? 7 If you had done the right thing, you would be smiling. But you did the wrong thing, and now sin is waiting to attack you like a lion. Sin wants to destroy you, but don’t let it! 8 Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go for a walk.” And when they were out in a field, Cain killed him. 9 Afterwards the Lord asked Cain, “Where is Abel?” “How should I know?” he answered. “Am I supposed to look after my brother?”  10 Then the Lord said: Why have you done this terrible thing? You killed your own brother, and his blood flowed onto the ground. Now his blood is calling out for me to punish you. 11 And so, I’ll put you under a curse. Because you killed Abel and made his blood run out on the ground, you will never be able to farm the land again. 12 If you try to farm the land, it won’t produce anything for you. From now on, you’ll be without a home, and you’ll spend the rest of your life wandering from place to place. 13 “This punishment is too hard!” Cain said. 14 “You’re making me leave my home and live far from you.  I will have to wander about without a home, and just anyone could kill me.” 15 “No!”  the Lord answered. “Anyone who kills you will be punished seven times worse than I am punishing you.” So the Lord put a mark on Cain to warn everyone not to kill him.

Genesis 4:5 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Cain noticed that absence of any visible sign of God’s pleasure and acceptance of his offering. A deeply burning anger was the result. The Hebrew phrase here used can be translated literally, “It burned with Cain exceedingly.” He felt fierce resentment against his brother and toward God. There was apparently no sorrow for sin, no spirit of self-examination, no prayer for light or pardon. Cain’s behavior is a typical example of a stubborn and unrepentant sinner whose heart does not melt under correction and reproof but becomes even more hard and rebellious. No attempt was made by Cain to hide feelings of disappointment, dissatisfaction, and anger. His face bespoke his resentment.

Genesis 3:9-10 Modern English Version 9 The Lord God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?”  10 He said, “I heard Your voice in the garden and was afraid because I was naked, so I hid myself.”

Genesis 4:9 Modern English Version The Lord said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?”  He said, “I do not know. Am I my brother’s keeper?”

Monday – The Flood

Genesis 6:1-13 God’s Word to the Nations “1 ¶ The number of people increased all over the earth, and daughters were born to them. 2 The sons of God saw that the daughters of other humans were beautiful. So they married any woman they chose. 3 ¶ Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not struggle with humans forever, because they are flesh and blood. They will live 120 years." 4 ¶ The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, as well as later, when the sons of God slept with the daughters of other humans and had children by them. These children were famous long ago. 5 The LORD saw how evil humans had become on the earth. All day long their deepest thoughts were nothing but evil. 6 ¶ The LORD was sorry that he had made humans on the earth, and he was heartbroken. 7 So he said, "I will wipe off the face of the earth these humans that I created. I will wipe out not only humans, but also domestic animals, crawling animals, and birds. I’m sorry that I made them." 8 ¶ But the LORD was pleased with Noah. 9 This is the account of Noah and his descendants. Noah had God’s approval and was a man of integrity among the people of his time. He walked with God. 10 He had three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth. 11 ¶ The world was corrupt in God’s sight and full of violence. 12 God saw the world and how corrupt it was because all people on earth lived evil lives. 13 ¶ God said to Noah, "I have decided to put an end to all people because the earth is full of their violence. Now I’m going to destroy them along with the earth.”

Genesis 6:2 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY the Sethites did not heed the warnings they surely must have received. Guided by sense attractions, they were not content with the beautiful daughters of the godly race, and often preferred Cainite brides. Moreover, the prevalence of polygamy seems to be suggested by the plural expression used, they took “wives.”

Genesis 7:4 Holman Christian Standard Bible “Seven days from now I will make it rain on the earth 40 days and 40 nights, and I will wipe off the face of the earth every living thing I have made.””

Isaiah 25:8 Bible in Basic English “He has put an end to death for ever; and the Lord God will take away all weeping; and he will put an end to the shame of his people in all the earth: for the Lord has said it.”

Tuesday – Abraham

Genesis 22:1-19 New English Translation 1 Some time after these things God tested Abraham. He said to him, “Abraham!” “Here I am!” Abraham replied. 2 God said, “Take your son—your only son, whom you love, Isaac—and go to the land of Moriah! Offer him up there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains which I will indicate to you.” 3 Early in the morning Abraham got up and saddled his donkey. He took two of his young servants with him, along with his son Isaac. When he had cut the wood for the burnt offering, he started out for the place God had spoken to him about. 4 On the third day Abraham caught sight of the place in the distance. 5 So he said to his servants, “You two stay here with the donkey while the boy and I go up there. We will worship and then return to you.” 6 Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and put it on his son Isaac. Then he took the fire and the knife in his hand, and the two of them walked on together. 7 Isaac said to his father Abraham, “My father?” “What is it, my son?” he replied. “Here is the fire and the wood,” Isaac said, “but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” 8 “God will provide for himself the lamb for the burnt offering, my son,” Abraham replied. The two of them continued on together. 9 When they came to the place God had told him about, Abraham built the altar there and arranged the wood on it. Next he tied up his son Isaac and placed him on the altar on top of the wood. 10 Then Abraham reached out his hand, took the knife, and prepared to slaughter his son. 11 But the Lord’s angel called to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!” “Here I am!” he answered. 12 “Do not harm the boy!” the angel said. “Do not do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God because you did not withhold your son, your only son, from me.” 13 Abraham looked up and saw behind him a ram caught in the bushes by its horns. So he went over and got the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 And Abraham called the name of that place “The Lord provides.” It is said to this day, “In the mountain of the Lord provision will be made.” 15 The Lord’s angel called to Abraham a second time from heaven 16 and said, “‘I solemnly swear by my own name,’ decrees the Lord, ‘that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will indeed bless you, and I will greatly multiply your descendants so that they will be as countless as the stars in the sky or the grains of sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the strongholds of their enemies. 18 Because you have obeyed me, all the nations of the earth will pronounce blessings on one another using the name of your descendants.’” 19 Then Abraham returned to his servants, and they set out together for Beer Sheba where Abraham stayed.

Genesis 22:3 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY As a noble hero of faith, his training complete, Abraham responded immediately when called upon to meet his supreme hour of test. This was the climax of his spiritual experience. He serenely rose to a height never surpassed by mortal man, and qualified for the honor of being called “father of the faithful.”

Wednesday – Jacob and Esau

Genesis 28:12-15 Good News Bible 12 He dreamed that he saw a stairway reaching from earth to heaven, with angels going up and coming down on it. 13 And there was the Lord standing beside him. “I am the Lord, the God of Abraham and Isaac,” he said. “I will give to you and to your descendants this land on which you are lying. 14 They will be as numerous as the specks of dust on the earth. They will extend their territory in all directions, and through you and your descendants I will bless all the nations.15 Remember, I will be with you and protect you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done all that I have promised you.”

Genesis 28:15 COMMENTARY JOHN WESLEY’S NOTES Wherever we are, we are safe, if we have God's favourable presence with us.  He knew not, but God foresaw what hardships he would meet with in his uncle's service, and therefore promiseth to preserve him in all places.  God knows how to give his people graces and comforts accommodated to the events that shall be, as well as to those that are.  He was now going as an exile into a place far distant, but God promiseth him to bring him again to this land.  He seemed to be forsaken of all his friends, but God gives him this assurance, I will not leave thee.

Thursday – Joseph and His Brothers

Genesis 45:4-11 New Century Version 4 So Joseph said to them, “Come close to me.” When the brothers came close to him, he said to them, “I am your brother Joseph, whom you sold as a slave to go to Egypt. 5 Now don’t be worried or angry with yourselves because you sold me here. God sent me here ahead of you to save people’s lives. 6 No food has grown on the land for two years now, and there will be five more years without planting or harvest. 7 So God sent me here ahead of you to make sure you have some descendants left on earth and to keep you alive in an amazing way. 8 So it was not you who sent me here, but God. God has made me the highest officer of the king of Egypt. I am in charge of his palace, and I am the master of all the land of Egypt. 9 “So leave quickly and go to my father. Tell him, ‘Your son Joseph says: God has made me master over all Egypt. Come down to me quickly. 10 Live in the land of Goshen where you will be near me. Your children, your grandchildren, your flocks and herds, and all that you have will also be near me. 11 I will care for you during the next five years of hunger so that you and your family and all that you have will not starve.’

Genesis 45:5 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Instinctively they shrank from Joseph’s presence, at the alarming truth that the mighty lord of Egypt was their brother. He assured them in the kindest of words that he had no intention of taking revenge on them. He could not avoid allusion to their former wickedness, but this was done in a spirit of charity and forgiveness.