Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
james423

Jesus' Teachings and the Great Controversy

Overall Question:  What do Jesus' own teachings tell us about the Great Controversy?

Memory Text: Matthew 11:28 New International Version “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

Sunday – Many Kinds of Rest

Matthew 11:29 Lexham English Bible Take my yoke on you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Matthew 11:29 COMMENTARY FAMILY BIBLE NOTES None need to be miserable. By submission to Jesus Christ, trust in him, and obedience to his commands, all may be happy in life, in death, and for ever.

Genesis 2:2 Modern English Version On the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

Leviticus 16:29-31 Modern English Version 29 This shall be a perpetual statute for you so that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, you shall humble yourselves, and do no work of any kind, whether it is the native citizen or the stranger who sojourns among you. 30 For on that day the priest shall make atonement for you to cleanse you, so that you may be clean from all your sins before the Lord. 31 It shall be a sabbath, a solemn rest for you, and you shall humble yourselves. It is a perpetual statute.

Exodus 33:12-14 Holman Christian Standard Bible 12 Moses said to the Lord, “Look, You have told me, ‘Lead this people up,’ but You have not let me know whom You will send with me. You said, ‘I know you by name, and you have also found favor in My sight.’ 13 Now if I have indeed found favor in Your sight, please teach me Your ways, and I will know You and find favor in Your sight. Now consider that this nation is Your people.” 14 Then He replied, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

Ruth 1:9 Common English Bible May the Lord provide for you so that you may find security, each woman in the household of her husband.” Then she kissed them, and they lifted up their voices and wept.

Lamentations 1:3 Common English Bible Judah was exiled after suffering and hard service. She lives among the nations; she finds no rest. All who were chasing her caught her—right in the middle of

her distress.

Isaiah 57:20-21 Common English Bible 20 But the wicked are like the churning sea that can’t keep still. They churn up from their waters muck and mud. 21     There is no peace, says my God, for the wicked.

Monday – Planting and Harvesting

Matthew 13:3-8 Common English Bible 3 He said many things to them in parables: “A farmer went out to scatter seed. 4  As he was scattering seed, some fell on the path, and birds came and ate it. 5  Other seed fell on rocky ground where the soil was shallow. They sprouted immediately because the soil wasn’t deep. 6  But when the sun came up, it scorched the plants, and they dried up because they had no roots. 7  Other seed fell among thorny plants. The thorny plants grew and choked them. 8  Other seed fell on good soil and bore fruit, in one case a yield of one hundred to one, in another case a yield of sixty to one, and in another case a yield of thirty to one.

Matthew 13:18-23 Common English Bible 18 Consider then the parable of the farmer. 19 Whenever people hear the word about the kingdom and don’t understand it, the evil one comes and carries off what was planted in their hearts. This is the seed that was sown on the path. 20 As for the seed that was spread on rocky ground, this refers to people who hear the word and immediately receive it joyfully. 21  Because they have no roots, they last for only a little while. When they experience distress or abuse because of the word, they immediately fall away. 22  As for the seed that was spread among thorny plants, this refers to those who hear the word, but the worries of this life and the false appeal of wealth choke the word, and it bears no fruit. 23  As for what was planted on good soil, this refers to those who hear and understand, and bear fruit and produce—in one case a yield of one hundred to one, in another case a yield of sixty to one, and in another case a yield of thirty to one.”

Matthew 13:19 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES The gospel is preached to men hardened in sin. It makes no impression. It lies like seed in the hard path; it is easily taken away, and never suffered to take root.

Matthew 13:20-21 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES Into stony places. Jesus explains this as denoting those who hear the gospel; who are caught with it as something new or pleasing; who profess themselves greatly delighted with it, and who are full of zeal for it. Yet they have no root in themselves. They are not true Christians. Their hearts are not changed. They have not seen their guilt and danger, and the true excellency of Christ. They are not really attached to the gospel; and when they are tried and persecution comes, they fall--as the rootless grain withers before the scorching rays of the noon-day sun.

Matthew 13:22 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES The thorns. These represent cares, anxieties, and the deceitful lure of riches, or the way in which a desire to be rich deceives us. They take the time and attention. They do not leave opportunity to think and examine the state of the soul. Besides, riches allure, and promise what they do not yield. They promise to make us happy; but, when gained, they do not do it. The soul is not satisfied. There is the same desire to possess more wealth. And to this there is no end--but death. In doing it, there is every temptation to be dishonest, to cheat, to take advantage of others, to oppress others, and to wring their hard earnings from the poor. Every evil passion is therefore cherished by the love of gain; and it is no wonder that the word is choked, and every good feeling destroyed, by this "execrable love of gold."

Tuesday – Building on Rock

Matthew 7:21-27 New Life Version 21 Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will go into the holy nation of heaven. The one who does the things My Father in heaven wants him to do will go into the holy nation of heaven. 22 Many people will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not preach in Your Name? Did we not put out demons in Your Name? Did we not do many powerful works in Your Name?’ 23 Then I will say to them in plain words, ‘I never knew you. Go away from Me, you who do wrong!’ 24 “Whoever hears these words of Mine and does them, will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. 25 The rain came down. The water came up. The wind blew and hit the house. The house did not fall because it was built on rock. 26 Whoever hears these words of Mine and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down. The water came up. The wind blew and hit the house. The house fell and broke apart.”

Matthew 7:24 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES Jesus closes the Sermon on the Mount by a beautiful comparison, illustrating the benefit of attending to his words. It was not sufficient to hear them; they must be obeyed. He compares the man who should hear, and obey him, to a man who built his house on a rock. Palestine was, to a considerable extent, a land of hills and: mountains. Like other countries of that description, it was subject to sudden and violent rains. The Jordan, the principal stream, was annually swollen to a great extent, and became rapid and furious in its course. The streams which ran among the hills, whose channels might have been dry during some months of the year, became suddenly swollen with the rain, and would pour down impetuously into the plains below. Everything in the way of these torrents would be swept off.  Even a house erected within the reach of these sudden inundations, and especially if founded on sand, or any unsolid basis, would not stand before them. The rising, bursting stream would shake it to its foundation; the rapid torrent would gradually wash away its base; it would totter and fall, and be swept away. Rocks in that country were common, and it was easy to secure for their houses a solid foundation. No comparison could, to a Jew, have been more striking. So tempests, and storms of affliction and persecution, beat around the soul. Suddenly, when we think we are in safety, the heavens may be overcast; the storm may lower; and calamity beat upon us. In a moment, health, friends, comforts, may be gone. How desirable then to be possessed of something that the tempest cannot reach! Such is an interest in Christ; attention to his words; reliance on his promises; confidence in his protection; and a hope of heaven through his blood. Earthly calamities do not reach these; and, possessed of religion, all the storms and tempests of life may beat harmlessly around us.

Matthew 7:22-23 New Living Translation 22 On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’

Matthew 7:23 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES Whatever might have been their pretended joys, their raptures, their hopes, their self-confidence, their visions, their zeal, they had never been regarded by the Saviour as his true friends.

Wednesday – Do Not Judge

Matthew 7:1-5 New English Translation “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2 For by the standard you judge you will be judged, and the measure you use will be the measure you receive. 3 Why do you see the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to see the beam of wood in your own? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye,’ while there is a beam in your own? 5 You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Matthew 7:1 COMMENTARY BY ADAM CLARKE This is one of the most important exhortations in the whole of this excellent sermon.  By a secret and criminal disposition of nature, man endeavours to elevate himself above others, and, to do it more effectually, depresses them.  His jealous and envious heart wishes that there may be no good quality found but in himself, that he alone may be esteemed.  Such is the state of every unconverted man; and it is from this criminal disposition, that evil surmises, rash judgments, precipitate decisions, and all other unjust procedures against our neighbour, flow.

Thursday – I Am With You Always

Matthew 28:20 New English Translation teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

Matthew 28:20 PEOPLE’S NEW TESTAMENT COMMENTARY It was an arduous work he had commanded his disciples to undertake; a few uninfluential and unlettered laboring men to undertake the moral and religious conquest of a world that had just crucified their Master. There was, however, an assurance that they should be equal to the task, for, (1) All power, or authority, in heaven and earth was in the hands of their crucified Lord. (2) He now declares, I am with you always. He who has all power will be present with them, a help in time of need. He is a mighty, present and helping Savior.