Gail

Matching Game

32 posts in this topic

Who said it first?

Much of what is said in the New Testament is quoted or referred to in the Old.

For example: In Matthew 21:33 Jesus begins His parable about the wicked husbandmen:

33 “Hear another parable: There was a certain landowner who planted a vineyard and set a hedge around it, dug a winepress in it and built a tower. And he leased it to vinedressers- NKJV

He is referring back to Isaiah 5:1:

My Well-beloved has a vineyard
On a very fruitful hill.

He dug it up and cleared out its stones,
And planted it with the choicest vine.
He built a tower in its midst,
And also made a winepress in it;
So He expected it to bring forth good grapes,
But it brought forth wild grapes- NKJV

He brings up a Scripture that is familiar with the people. But then He changes the story. He shows what God intended, and what indeed turned out in the end.

There is much wealth in the Old Testament. See what matches you can find as you make your way through your studies.

Liz, The Wanderer, LifeHiscost and 1 other like this

Lets see if I understand the matching game:

Daniel 12:2 NKHV 2. And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, some to shame and everlasting contempt. 
Matthew 25:46 New King James Version (NKJV) 46. And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Liz, The Wanderer and Gail like this

Looking good!

The Wanderer and Naomi like this

Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else  Isaiah 45:22

And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. John 12:32

i know it was not a quoting and citing of the previous text, but it is an echo of the same thought.

Gail, Liz, Naomi and 2 others like this

Deuteronomy 6:5

And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Luke 10:27 

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; 

Naomi, Liz, Gail and 1 other like this

The shema, I think that is called. Well done!

The Wanderer and Naomi like this

47  And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour....Luke 1

3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence....2 Samuel 22

God is Love!~Jesus saves!  :D   Hope you all have a :happysabbath:  :prayer:   :offtobed:
The Wanderer likes this

Predicting the APPEARANCE OF JOHN THE BAPTIST

(Matthew 3:3NIV) - 'The voice of one crying in the wilderness: Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight'

(Isaiah 40:3NIV) A voice of one calling: "In the wilderness prepare the way for the LORD; make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

Gail and The Wanderer like this

Excellent! Keep it up!

The Wanderer likes this

Gen 1:27 Made them male and female

Mark 10:6 Made them male and female

Gail, LifeHiscost and The Wanderer like this

Wherefore come out from among them and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing: and I will receive you- 2 Corinthians 6:17, KJV

This matches up with:

Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the Lord- Isaiah 52:11, KJV

The Wanderer and debbym like this

Excellent!!

The Wanderer likes this

Matthew 27:46b - 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'

and King David says in Psalm 22:1 - "My God, my God why have you forsaken me?"

The Wanderer and Gail like this

On 2/6/2016 at 3:51 AM, Gail said:

On a very fruitful hill.

But it brought forth wild grapes- NKJV

You can possibly also match Isaiah 5:1-5 with Christ's parable in Luke 13:6-9

Isaiah 5:1-5, NKJV

Now let me sing to my Well-beloved
A song of my Beloved regarding His vineyard:

On a very fruitful hill.
But it brought forth wild grapes.

“And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah,
Judge, please, between Me and My vineyard.
What more could have been done to My vineyard
That I have not done in it?
Why then, when I expected it to bring forth good grapes,
Did it bring forth wild grapes?
And now, please let Me tell you what I will do to My vineyard:
I will take away its hedge, and it shall be burned;
And break down its wall, and it shall be trampled down.

Luke 13:6-9, NKJV

He also spoke this parable: “A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. 

Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, ‘Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?’ 

But he answered and said to him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it. 

And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that[a] you can cut it down.’”

Or match it with John 15: 1-7, NKJV

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Gail and The Wanderer like this

Psalm 103:4  

"He redeems me from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies. "

Revelation 3:11 Easy to read version ERV

“I am coming soon. Hold on to the faith you have, so that no one can take away your crown.

The Wanderer and Gail like this

Excellent! I marked that in my Bible. Nice to see the Easy-to-Read Version! Sometimes I find the most amazing things in some of those dynamic translations.

The Wanderer likes this

I am not going to quote all the verses but I remember a vespers program where Psalms 22-24 were shown as predicting the

death, time in grave and resurrection and ascension of Jesus into heaven....just amplifying Naomi's original quote.  Going through Psalm 22 expresses a lot of what He said and felt...v 14 all my bones are out of joint...v 18 They part my garments among them and cast lots upon my vesture....(Matt 27:35)

The same speaker suggested that "He hath done this"    v Ps 22:31 was another way of expressing "It is finished."

On the Sabbath His resting in the grave was related to the Shepherd Psalm.

And the magnificent words of Ps 24 :7-10 show the joy and triumph of Jesus returning to heaven.

(sorry if this is not quite in the spirit of the original plan for this thread...but it is something I enjoy considering.)

The Wanderer, Naomi, phkrause and 2 others like this

I can consider it in the spirit of the OP!

Old Testament: "The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;" Isaiah 61: 1 & 2, KJV

New Testament: "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord." Luke 4: 18 & 19, KJV

The Wanderer likes this

I know it's not a perfect match, because they represent different things, but when this verse was discussed in church today, I thought about the other one, too...

"Thus saith the LORD unto me, Go and get thee a linen girdle, and put it upon thy loins, and put it not in water." (Jeremiah 13:1, KJV)

"Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth...(and having on the breastplate of righteousness)" (Ephesians 6:14, KJV-punctuation edited for emphasis)

In Jeremiah the belt represented the pride of the Israelites, but if you look at verse 11, "For as the girdle cleaveth to the loins of a man, so have I caused to cleave unto me the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah, saith the Lord; that they might be unto me for a people, and for a name, and for a praise, and for a glory: but they would not hear." and consider John 4:24 "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." and also take into consideration that the reason for Israel's falling away and becoming marred was because of their idolatry (back to Jeremiah 13: 10, 11), it seems that they can have some reasonable connection, because Jesus said He is the truth (See John 14:6), so then the Israelites (or their pride, represented by this girdle), became marred because they turned from the Truth.

Is there a connection, or am I working with it too much? 

The Wanderer likes this

Yes! I see a definite connection. Having the loins girt about with truth is the point of the illustration in the OT. That is an excellent object lesson! Thank you for sharing that!

The Wanderer likes this

Mind if I use the apocrypha? This is one of the books that was purportedly discovered amongst the dead sea scrolls, which most likely means that it's possible the apostles had it amongst their collection of Scripture, and thus it is possible that it is part of the old testament? 

"Winnow not with every wind, and go not into every way: for so doth the sinner that hath a double tongue." -Ecclesiasticus 5: 10, KJV

"That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;" -Ephesians 4:14, KJV

And this one:

"My son, sow not upon the furrows of unrighteousness, and thou shalt not reap them sevenfold." -Ecclesiasticus 7:3, KJV

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." -Galatians 6:7, KJV

And this:

"Seek not to be judge, being not able to take away iniquity; lest at any time thou fear the person of the mighty, an stumblingblock in the way of thy uprightness." -Ecclesiasticus 7:6, KJV

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? " -Matthew 7:1 & 2, KJV

Here's another one:

"Say not, God will look upon the multitude of my oblations, and when I offer to the most high God, he will accept it." -Ecclesiasticus 7:9, KJV

"But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking." -Matthew 6:7, KJV

Edited by Jessie-Jess
They just keep coming!
The Wanderer likes this

New Testament: " Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth"  Matthew 5:5

Old Testament: "But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace." Psalm 37:11

The Wanderer likes this