james423

Crucified and Risen

Crucified and Risen   3 members have voted

1. 1. Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection were the two most important events in this world's history.

• True
    • False
    • Maybe

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Overall Question:   How crucial to the universe was Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection?

Memory Text: Matthew 28:18 Common English Bible (in part) “I’ve received all authority in heaven and on earth.”  

Sunday – Jesus or Barabbas

Matthew 27:11-26 Easy-to-Read Version 11 Jesus stood before Pilate, the governor, who asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?” Jesus answered, “Yes, that’s right.” 12 Then, when the leading priests and the older Jewish leaders made their accusations against Jesus, he said nothing. 13 So Pilate said to him, “Don’t you hear all these charges they are making against you? Why don’t you answer?” 14 But Jesus did not say anything, and this really surprised the governor. 15 Every year at Passover time the governor would free one prisoner—whichever one the people wanted him to free. 16 At that time there was a man in prison who was known to be very bad. His name was Barabbas. 17 When a crowd gathered, Pilate said to them, “I will free one man for you. Which one do you want me to free: Barabbas or Jesus who is called the Messiah?” 18 Pilate knew that they had handed Jesus over to him because they were jealous of him. 19 While Pilate was sitting there in the place for judging, his wife sent a message to him. It said, “Don’t do anything with that man. He is not guilty. Last night I had a dream about him, and it troubled me very much.” 20 But the leading priests and older Jewish leaders told the people to ask for Barabbas to be set free and for Jesus to be killed. 21 Pilate said, “I have Barabbas and Jesus. Which one do you want me to set free for you?” The people answered, “Barabbas!” 22 Pilate asked, “So what should I do with Jesus, the one called the Messiah?” All the people said, “Kill him on a cross!” 23 Pilate asked, “Why do you want me to kill him? What wrong has he done?” But they shouted louder, “Kill him on a cross!” 24 Pilate saw that there was nothing he could do to make the people change. In fact, it looked as if there would be a riot. So he took some water and washed his hands in front of them all. He said, “I am not guilty of this man’s death. You are the ones who are doing it!” 25 The people answered, “We will take full responsibility for his death. You can blame us and even our children!” 26 Then Pilate set Barabbas free. And he told some soldiers to beat Jesus with whips. Then he handed him over to the soldiers to be killed on a cross.

Matthew 27:22 COMMENTARY JOHN WESLEY NOTES They all say, Let him be crucified-The punishment which Barabbas had deserved: and this probably made them think of it. But in their malice they forgot with how dangerous a precedent they furnished the Roman governor. And indeed within the compass of a few years it turned dreadfully upon themselves [at the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70].

Monday – Our Crucified Substitute

Matthew 27:45-46 Contemporary English Version 45 At noon the sky turned dark and stayed that way until three o’clock. 46 Then about that time Jesus shouted, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you deserted me?”

Ellen White, Steps to Christ, p. 13 – “The spotless Son of God took upon Himself the burden of sin. He who had been one with God, felt in His soul the awful separation that sin makes between God and man. This wrung from His lips the anguished cry, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" Matthew 27:46. It was the burden of sin, the sense of its terrible enormity, of its separation of the soul from God--it was this that broke the heart of the Son of God.”

Tuesday – Torn Veil and Rent Rocks

Matthew 27:49-54 New International Reader’s Version 49 The rest said, “Leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to save him.” 50 After Jesus cried out again in a loud voice, he died. 51 At that moment the temple curtain was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook. The rocks split. 52 Tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs. After Jesus was raised from the dead, they went into the holy city. There they appeared to many people. 54 The Roman commander and those guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened. They were terrified. They exclaimed, “He was surely the Son of God!”

Hebrews 8:1-6 New Century Version Here is the point of what we are saying: We have a high priest who sits on the right side of God’s throne in heaven. 2 Our high priest serves in the Most Holy Place, the true place of worship that was made by God, not by humans. 3 Every high priest has the work of offering gifts and sacrifices to God. So our high priest must also offer something to God. 4 If our high priest were now living on earth, he would not be a priest, because there are already priests here who follow the law by offering gifts to God. 5 The work they do as priests is only a copy and a shadow of what is in heaven. This is why God warned Moses when he was ready to build the Holy Tent: “Be very careful to make everything by the plan I showed you on the mountain.”[Exodus 25:40*] 6 But the priestly work that has been given to Jesus is much greater than the work that was given to the other priests. In the same way, the new agreement that Jesus brought from God to his people is much greater than the old one. And the new agreement is based on promises of better things.

*Exodus 25:40 New Century Version Be very careful to make them by the plan I showed you on the mountain.

Ellen White, Desire of Ages, pp. 756-757 – “Suddenly the gloom lifted from the cross, and in clear, trumpet like tones, that seemed to resound throughout creation, Jesus cried, "It is finished." "Father, into Thy hands I commend My spirit." A light encircled the cross, and the face of the Saviour shone with a glory like the sun. He then bowed His head upon His breast, and died…

Never before had the earth witnessed such a scene. The multitude stood paralyzed, and with bated breath gazed upon the Saviour. Again darkness settled upon the earth, and a hoarse rumbling, like heavy thunder, was heard. There was a violent earthquake. The people were shaken together in heaps. The wildest confusion and consternation ensued. In the surrounding mountains, rocks were rent asunder, and went crashing down into the plains. Sepulchers were broken open, and the dead were cast out of their tombs. Creation seemed to be shivering to atoms. Priests, rulers, soldiers, executioners, and people, mute with terror, lay prostrate upon the ground.

When the loud cry, "It is finished," came from the lips of Christ, the priests were officiating in the temple. It was the hour of the evening sacrifice. The lamb representing Christ had been brought to be slain. Clothed in his significant and beautiful dress, the priest stood with lifted knife, as did Abraham when he was about to slay his son. With intense interest the people were looking on. But the earth trembles and quakes; for the Lord Himself draws near. With a rending noise the inner veil of the temple is torn from top to bottom by an unseen hand, throwing open to the gaze of the multitude a place once filled with the presence of God. In this place the Shekinah had dwelt. Here God had manifested His glory above the mercy seat. No one but the high priest ever lifted the veil separating this apartment from the rest of the temple. He entered in once a year to make an atonement for the sins of the people. But lo, this veil is rent in twain. The most holy place of the earthly sanctuary is no longer sacred.

All is terror and confusion. The priest is about to slay the victim; but the knife drops from his nerveless hand, and the lamb escapes. Type has met antitype in the death of God’s Son. The great sacrifice has been made. The way into the holiest is laid open. A new and living way is prepared for all…Henceforth the Saviour was to officiate as priest and advocate in the heaven of heavens.”

Wednesday – The Risen Christ

Matthew 28:1-15 The Clear Word Bible 1 After the Sabbath was over and the night was almost gone, just as it began to dawn on Sunday morning, Mary Magdalene and Mary, the mother of the younger James and Joseph, approached the tomb from different directions. Each was hoping that someone would be there to roll away the stone so they could finish taking care of the body. 2 Just before this, an earthquake had occurred when Gabriel, the angel of the Lord, came down from heaven, rolled away the huge stone and sat on it. 3 His face was as bright as lightning, and his robe glistened like freshly fallen snow. 4 The Roman soldiers were so afraid that they shook with fear, and when they saw Jesus come out of the tomb, they fell down like dead men. 5 Later, when the women came, Gabriel, took on the guise of a young man and said, “Don’t be afraid. I know that you are looking for Jesus, the One who was crucified. 6 The good news is that He is not here. He’s risen! Come, see for yourselves. The place where His body was is now empty. 7 Go quickly and tell the good news to Jesus’ disciples that He has risen from the dead just as He promised. He will meet them in Galilee just as He told them He would.” 8 The women, both fearful and joyful, ran back to tell the disciples what they had seen. Women Meet Jesus and Worship Him 9 On their way into the city Jesus met them and said, “Good morning!” The women couldn’t believe their eyes. They fell on their knees, put their arms around His feet and worshiped Him. 10 Jesus said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Now go and tell my disciples that I have risen and for them to go to Galilee and I’ll meet them there.” 11 While this was taking place, some of the soldiers who had been guarding the tomb went to Caiaphas and to the chief priests and told them everything that had happened. 12 The priests met with some of the elders and after carefully discussing the matter, decided to offer the soldiers a large sum of money if they would tell a different story. 13 They told them to get the other guardsmen quickly, before they could talk to Pilate. When all the soldiers were there, the priests and elders said, “Don’t tell anyone that Jesus rose from the dead, but rather that you fell asleep during the night and his disciples stole the body. 14 If the governor hears that you fell asleep on duty, we’ll satisfy him to make sure he overlooks the whole thing.” 15 So the soldiers accepted the money and agreed to say that Jesus’ body was stolen. This false report is still circulating.

Matthew 28:7 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Perhaps God chose to make these godly women messengers of the joyful news of the resurrection, rather than to give the tidings directly to the disciples themselves, because of their continuing ministry of love and devotion at a time when the disciples had practically forsaken Him.

Thursday – The Great Commission

Matthew 28:16-18 God’s Word Translation 16 The eleven disciples went to the mountain in Galilee where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they bowed down in worship, though some had doubts. 18 When Jesus came near, he spoke to them. He said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Daniel 7:13-14 Contemporary English Version 3 As I continued to watch the vision that night, I saw what looked like a son of man [Jesus often used the phrase “the Son of Man” when referring to himself] coming with the clouds of heaven, and he was presented to the Eternal God 14 He was crowned king and given power and glory, so that all people of every nation and race would serve him. He will rule forever, and his kingdom is eternal, never to be destroyed.

Matthew 28:19-20 English Standard Version 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Matthew 28:20 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY From “the foundation of the world” Jesus has been working for the salvation of His people, and He will continue with them till the close of time.

The Clear Word is just a paraphrase — the author never intended it to replace an authorized version of the Bible.

49 minutes ago, Seventh Day said:

This is of all time the most fearless, fraudulent, insulting and murderous assault on God's Word made by anyone anywhere of any kind of religion. I am deeply ashamed; but also thankful that for long I have not been a Seventh-day Adventist anymore.

the above seems like a rather excessive declaration... 

Joel Melashenko and phkrause like this

Rather excessive.  My quote reads (thought-wise) no differently than any of the other paraphrased versions.  If someone doesn't like the versions I've used, he/she can feel free not to read them, not to call these versions "the most fearless, fraudulent, insulting and murderous assault on God's Word" ever made. Cool down.

The Wanderer and phkrause like this

1 hour ago, Seventh Day said:

There are -- nowadays -- many <<rather excessive>> 'versions' of Matthew 28:1(-4). But this one ---yours or your collection?--- with caption "Clear Word" (also yours?), makes the others look bleak.  

It (you?) left ZERO of the original, and added several excessive UNSCRIPTURAL UNTRUTHS that would stun St. Justin Martyr cold.

Apparently you are not familiar with this work. The author simply rewrote the Bible in his own words as a devotional exercise. It is not authoritative but many like it. He did not mean it to be another Bible version at all.

The Wanderer likes this

On 11/07/2016 at 7:17 PM, Seventh Day said:

This is of all time the most fearless, fraudulent, insulting and murderous assault on God's Word made by anyone anywhere of any kind of religion. I am deeply ashamed; but also thankful that for long I have not been a Seventh-day Adventist anymore.

The things some people are "thankful" for truly mystify me.

Do you honestly think that pedalling the fact that you "are not an Adventist" as if you are trying to sell freezers to Eskimos would make any kind of important point about Jesus in this topic?

Edited by The Wanderer

all of <<your>>  "<<>>"'s really <make> it <<extremely>> <difficult> to <read>

However, 

1 hour ago, Seventh Day said:

Apparently the author of this devotional exercise in 'paraphrasing' is not familiar with this Scripture in its purity at all, nor is he conversant with its first, or nineteenth century, perversions. The author rewrote the perversions (definitely not the original) in his own words as a devotional exercise but apparently with the unmistakable and undoubtable intention, to bring authoritative finality as to its biblical, original meaning and interpretation.

The above quote (minus the superfluous angle brackets) is ridiculous, in my opinion.  The word "apparently" can not be intelligently used with the following words of "unmistakable" and "undoubtable" — that's like saying, "He appears to be to be a moron, and I'm SURE he really is," without even knowing anything about the person.

Not only that but is an attempt to hijack the thread. 

:backtopic:

The Wanderer likes this

And, 7th Day is  totally wrong as to his views on the intention of the author of The Clear Word.

The Wanderer likes this

1 hour ago, Gail said:

Not only that but is an attempt to hijack the thread. 

:backtopic:

I can sense a warning coming up...

2 hours ago, Seventh Day said:

It's impossible to be wrong on the intention of the author of The Clear Word; just look at all the capital letters! Why capital letters? Because the intention of the author is to supply God's Word in his own words.

But I don't have an issue with the man's intentions so much as with their correctness or incorrectness. But you people keep on with irrelevancies and side-issues, only that you won't have to pay attention to what the verse actually says, and can braai your marsh mellows in peace in disregard for the true day and time that Jesus resurrected, which, guaranteed, was not, <<After the Sabbath was over and the night was almost gone, just as it began to dawn on Sunday morning>>, but "Late on the Sabbath as it mid-afternoon began to dawn towards the First Day of the week".

You used "capitol leters" yourself, just one paragraph after critisizing someone else for doing. I hope you know what that is called.Satan is proud. lol

2 hours ago, Seventh Day said:

Not to Eskimos, I'm sure; nor to Adventists, surer.

I agree, I doubt you could sell it to anyone. No one cares if you go to a certain church or not. We were trying to study "crucified and risen;" and to be quite honest, you have nothing to do with that, unless you have a testimony about what christ, and him crucified has done in your life. And how have you paid that forward? What is your personal testimony about Christ in your life? (1 John 1:1-3, Gal 6:14)