Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeannieb43

How to Win an Election with Fewer Votes than Your Opponent

According to today's L.A.TIMES, Trump obtained the required number of electoral college votes (273) to make him president-elect of the United States -- even though he had fewer actual people voting for him than Hillary Clinton did.  Hers totaled 59,814,018, and his totaled 59,611,678.

That's the work of the Electoral College.    A long-standing American institution which was established to ensure that the smaller states would still get representation in congress.

This was a squeaker, all right!

-- And now, two weeks after the election, the votes are still being counted.   And Hillary is now 2.5 MILLION votes ahead of Trump!

I vote for dissolving the Electoral College.

The Wanderer and phkrause like this

10 minutes ago, Jeannieb43 said:

-- And now, two weeks after the election, the votes are still being counted.   And Hillary is now 2.5 MILLION votes ahead of Trump!

I vote for dissolving the Electoral College.

Thats weird. I thought the US had a democracy???

On 11/22/2016 at 7:12 PM, Jeannieb43 said:

Its interesting!! Because according to his own words, Trump said he won in a landslide!!!! So I'm now wondering, is he a liar?

On 11/24/2016 at 7:30 PM, phkrause said:

Its interesting!! Because according to his own words, Trump said he won in a landslide!!!! So I'm now wondering, is he a liar?

In the US, the election us done a certain way.  All candidates know this.  One can spend 90% of ones time in California and New York, and get a huge number of votes, but in our system, the winning candidate has to win STATES.  And if you win a state by one vote or ten million votes, you only get the number of electoral votes that come from that state.  Clinton ran up her entire excess vote margin in California alone.  She neglected states in the industrial Midwest, where factory workers had lost their jobs, and it cost her.  

17 hours ago, Jack Chaffin Jr said:

In the US, the election us done a certain way.  All candidates know this.  One can spend 90% of ones time in California and New York, and get a huge number of votes, but in our system, the winning candidate has to win STATES.  And if you win a state by one vote or ten million votes, you only get the number of electoral votes that come from that state.  Clinton ran up her entire excess vote margin in California alone.  She neglected states in the industrial Midwest, where factory workers had lost their jobs, and it cost her.  

Thank you for the info, but I knew that. It still doesn't change what he says!!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mega Footer

You can configure this content inside your ACP under Customization > Edit > Mega Footer.

Mega Footer

You can configure this content inside your ACP under Customization > Edit > Mega Footer.