james423

Lesson 14 - Lessons from Job

Overall Question:  What lessons can we learn from Job?

Memory Text: James 5:11 New International Version As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

James 5:11 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY Church members are urged to consider the purpose and result of the satanic trials that were inflicted on Job. The Lord permitted Satan to trouble Job in order that the splendor of Job’s tested faith might vindicate God’s judgment of Job’s sincerity. God never forsook Job, and when Job demonstrated his fidelity God rewarded him manyfold. Perhaps those to whom James addressed his remarks were in danger of feeling that their afflictions were a sign of God’s displeasure.

Sunday – By Faith and Not by Sight

2 Corinthians 5:7 Good News Translation For our life is a matter of faith, not of sight.

2 Corinthians 4:18 God’s Word Translation We don’t look for things that can be seen but for things that can’t be seen. Things that can be seen are only temporary. But things that can’t be seen last forever.

Monday – Evil Being

Job 1:1 to Job 2:8 New Century Version A man named Job lived in the land of Uz. He was an honest and innocent man; he honored God and stayed away from evil. 2 Job had seven sons and three daughters. 3 He owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred teams of oxen, and five hundred female donkeys. He also had a large number of servants. He was the greatest man among all the people of the East. 4 Job’s sons took turns holding feasts in their homes and invited their sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 After a feast was over, Job would send and have them made clean. Early in the morning Job would offer a burnt offering for each of them, because he thought, “My children may have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” Job did this every time. 6 One day the angels came to show themselves before the Lord, and Satan[a] was with them. 7 The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Satan answered the Lord, “I have been wandering around the earth, going back and forth in it.” 8 Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you noticed my servant Job? No one else on earth is like him. He is an honest and innocent man, honoring God and staying away from evil.” 9 But Satan answered the Lord, “Job honors God for a good reason. 10 You have put a wall around him, his family, and everything he owns. You have blessed the things he has done. His flocks and herds are so large they almost cover the land. 11 But reach out your hand and destroy everything he has, and he will curse you to your face.”

12 The Lord said to Satan, “All right, then. Everything Job has is in your power, but you must not touch Job himself.” Then Satan left the Lord’s presence. 13 One day Job’s sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine together at the oldest brother’s house. 14 A messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were eating grass nearby, 15 when the Sabeans attacked and carried them away. They killed the servants with swords, and I am the only one who escaped to tell you!” 16 The messenger was still speaking when another messenger arrived and said, “Lightning from God fell from the sky. It burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who escaped to tell you!” 17 The second messenger was still speaking when another messenger arrived and said, “The Babylonians sent three groups of attackers that swept down and stole your camels and killed the servants. I am the only one who escaped to tell you!” 18 The third messenger was still speaking when another messenger arrived and said, “Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine together at the oldest brother’s house. 19 Suddenly a great wind came from the desert, hitting all four corners of the house at once. The house fell in on the young people, and they are all dead. I am the only one who escaped to tell you!” 20 When Job heard this, he got up and tore his robe and shaved his head to show how sad he was. Then he bowed down to the ground to worship God. 21 He said: “I was naked when I was born, and I will be naked when I die. The Lord gave these things to me, and he has taken them away. Praise the name of the Lord.” 22 In all this Job did not sin or blame God. 2:1 On another day the angels came to show themselves before the Lord, and Satan was with them again. 2 The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Satan answered the Lord, “I have been wandering around the earth, going back and forth in it.” 3 Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you noticed my servant Job? No one else on earth is like him. He is an honest and innocent man, honoring God and staying away from evil. You caused me to ruin him for no good reason, but he continues to be without blame.” 4 “One skin for another!” Satan answered. “A man will give all he has to save his own life. 5 But reach out your hand and destroy his flesh and bones, and he will curse you to your face.” 6 The Lord said to Satan, “All right, then. Job is in your power, but you may not take his life.” 7 So Satan left the Lord’s presence. He put painful sores on Job’s body, from the top of his head to the soles of his feet. 8 Job took a piece of broken pottery to scrape himself, and he sat in ashes in misery.

Revelation 12:12 Common English Bible Therefore, rejoice, you heavens and you who dwell in them. But oh! The horror for the earth and sea! The devil has come down to you with great rage, for he knows that he only has a short time.”

Matthew 4:10 Common English Bible Jesus responded, “Go away, Satan, because it’s written, You will worship the Lord your God and serve only him.”

Matthew 13:39 Holman Christian Standard Bible and the enemy who sowed them is the Devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.

Luke 8:12 Contemporary English Version and the seeds that fell along the road are the people who hear the message. But the devil comes and snatches the message out of their hearts, so that they will not believe and be saved.

Luke 13:16 New English Translation Then shouldn’t this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen long years, be released from this imprisonment on the Sabbath day?”

Luke 22:3 New English Translation Then Satan entered Judas, the one called Iscariot, who was one of the twelve.

Luke 22:31 Modern English Version Then the Lord said, “Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demanded to have you to sift you as wheat.

Acts 5:3 Contemporary English Version Peter said, “Why has Satan made you keep back some of the money from the sale of the property? Why have you lied to the Holy Spirit?

1 Peter 5:8 Easy-to-Read Version Control yourselves and be careful! The devil is your enemy, and he goes around like a roaring lion looking for someone to attack and eat.

Tuesday – With Friends Like These

John 8:1-11 New International Reader’s Version 1 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2 At sunrise he arrived again in the temple courtyard. All the people gathered around him there. He sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman. She had been caught committing adultery. They made her stand in front of the group. 4 They said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught sleeping with a man who was not her husband. 5 In the Law, Moses commanded us to kill such women by throwing stones at them. Now what do you say?” 6 They were trying to trap Jesus with that question. They wanted to have a reason to bring charges against him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 They kept asking him questions. So he stood up and said to them, “Has any one of you not sinned? Then you be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 He bent down again and wrote on the ground. 9 Those who heard what he had said began to go away. They left one at a time, the older ones first. Soon only Jesus was left. The woman was still standing there. 10 Jesus stood up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Hasn’t anyone found you guilty?” 11 “No one, sir,” she said. “Then I don’t find you guilty either,” Jesus said. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

Wednesday – More Than Thorns and Thistles

Hebrews 11:10 English Standard Version For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God.

Revelation 21:2 English Standard Version And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Thursday – Jesus and Job

Job 1:1 Common English Bible A man in the land of Uz was named Job. That man was honest, a person of absolute integrity; he feared God and avoided evil.

1 John 2:1 Good News Translation I am writing this to you, my children, so that you will not sin; but if anyone does sin, we have someone who pleads with the Father on our behalf—Jesus Christ, the righteous one.

James 5:6 New Revised Standard Version You have condemned and murdered the righteous one, who does not resist you.

Acts 3:14 New Revised Standard Version But you rejected the Holy and Righteous One and asked to have a murderer given to you.

Matthew 4:1-11 The Living Bible Then Jesus was led out into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit, to be tempted there by Satan. 2 For forty days and forty nights he ate nothing and became very hungry. 3 Then Satan tempted him to get food by changing stones into loaves of bread. “It will prove you are the Son of God,” he said. 4 But Jesus told him, “No! For the Scriptures tell us that bread won’t feed men’s souls: obedience to every word of God is what we need.” 5 Then Satan took him to Jerusalem to the roof of the Temple. 6 “Jump off,” he said, “and prove you are the Son of God; for the Scriptures declare, ‘God will send his angels to keep you from harm’; they will prevent you from smashing on the rocks below.” 7 Jesus retorted, “It also says not to put the Lord your God to a foolish test!” 8 Next Satan took him to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him the nations of the world and all their glory. 9 “I’ll give it all to you,” he said, “if you will only kneel and worship me.” 10 “Get out of here, Satan,” Jesus told him. “The Scriptures say, ‘Worship only the Lord God. Obey only him.’” 11 Then Satan went away, and angels came and cared for Jesus.

Matthew 26:61 Good News Translation They stated, “This man said, ‘I can tear down God’s temple and rebuild it in three days.’”

Luke 11:15-16 New English Translation But some of them said, “By the power of Beelzebul, the ruler of demons, he casts out demons.” 16 Others, to test him, began asking for a sign from heaven.

John 18:30 New English Translation They replied, “If this man were not a criminal, we would not have handed him over to you.”

Job 1:22 New Century Version In all this Job did not sin or blame God.

Hebrews 4:15 New Century Version For our high priest is able to understand our weaknesses. He was tempted in every way that we are, but he did not sin.

dgrimm60 likes this

Job's perseverance- in spite of misfortune and in spite of his miserable comforters. That speaks heaps right there. I want some of that!