james423

Lesson 4 - The Personality of the Holy Spirit

Overall Question:  What did you learn about the personality of the Holy Spirit?

Memory Text: John 14:26 New Century Version But the Helper will teach you everything and will cause you to remember all that I told you. This Helper is the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name.

Sunday – Jesus’ Description of the Holy Spirit

John 16:13-14 New English Bible 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. For he will not speak on his own authority, but will speak whatever he hears, and will tell you what is to come. 14 He will glorify me, because he will receive from me what is mine and will tell it to you.

John 16:13 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES we may observe that the plan of the Saviour was replete with wisdom. Though they had been long with him, yet they were not prepared then to hear of the changes that were to occur; but his death would open their eyes, and the Holy Spirit, making use of the striking and impressive scenes of his death and ascension, would carry forward with vast rapidity their views of the nature of the Christian scheme.  Perhaps in the few days that elapsed, of which we have a record in the first and second chapters of the Acts of the Apostles, they learned more of the true nature of the Christian plan than they would have done in months or years even under the teaching of Jesus himself.

John 15:26-27 Good News Translation 26 “The Helper will come—the Spirit, who reveals the truth about God and who comes from the Father. I will send him to you from the Father, and he will speak about me. 27 And you, too, will speak about me, because you have been with me from the very beginning.

John 14:17,26 Common English Bible 17 This Companion is the Spirit of Truth, whom the world can’t receive because it neither sees him nor recognizes him. You know him, because he lives with you and will be with you. 26 The Companion, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I told you.

John 14:16-18 Easy-to-Read Version 16 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper to be with you forever. 17 The Helper is the Spirit of truth. The people of the world cannot accept him, because they don’t see him or know him. But you know him. He lives with you, and he will be in you. 18 “I will not leave you all alone like orphans. I will come back to you.

Monday – Personal Aspects of the Holy Spirit, Part 1

Romans 8:14-16,27 New International Reader’s Version 14 Those who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. 15 The Spirit you received doesn’t make you slaves. Otherwise you would live in fear again. Instead, the Holy Spirit you received made you God’s adopted child. By the Spirit’s power we call God Abba. Abba means Father. 16 The Spirit himself joins with our spirits. Together they tell us that we are God’s children. 27 God, who looks into our hearts, knows the mind of the Spirit. And the Spirit prays for God’s people just as God wants him to pray.

Romans 15:30 New Life Version I ask you from my heart, Christian brothers, to pray much for me. I ask this in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:10 Contemporary English Version God’s Spirit has shown you everything. His Spirit finds out everything, even what is deep in the mind of God.

Acts 8:29 Contemporary English Version The Spirit told Philip to catch up with the chariot.

Acts 10:19-20 Lexham English Bible 19 And while Peter was reflecting about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Behold, men are looking for you. 20 But get up, go down, and go with them—not hesitating at all, because I have sent them.”

Acts 28:25 Good News Translation So they left, disagreeing among themselves, after Paul had said this one thing: “How well the Holy Spirit spoke through the prophet Isaiah to your ancestors!

Acts 28:25 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES One declaration of solemn prophecy, reminding them that it was the characteristic of the nation to reject the testimony of God, and that it was to be expected. It was the last solemn warning which we know Paul to have delivered to his countrymen the Jews.

Ephesians 4:30 Holman Christian Standard Bible And don’t grieve God’s Holy Spirit. You were sealed by Him for the day of redemption.

Acts 5:3,9 Holman Christian Standard Bible 3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the proceeds from the field? 9 Then Peter said to her, “Why did you agree to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look! The feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out!”

1 Corinthians 12:11 New Living Translation It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have.

Romans 15:30 New Living Translation Dear brothers and sisters, I urge you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to join in my struggle by praying to God for me. Do this because of your love for me, given to you by the Holy Spirit.

Tuesday - Personal Aspects of the Holy Spirit, Part 2

Romans 15:13 Contemporary English Version I pray that God, who gives hope, will bless you with complete happiness and peace because of your faith. And may the power of the Holy Spirit fill you with hope.

1 Corinthians 2:4 Easy-to-Read Version My teaching and my speaking were not with wise words that persuade people. But the proof of my teaching was the power that the Spirit gives.

Wednesday – The Spirit of Truth

John 14:6 The Disciples Literal New Testament Jesus says to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

John 14:6 COMMENTARY BY ALBERT BARNES God has appointed him as the Mediator, and has ordained that all blessings shall descend to this world through him. Hence he has put the world under his control; has given the affairs of men into his hand, and has appointed him to dispense whatever may be necessary for our peace, pardon, and salvation.

John 17:17 New Living Translation Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth.

John 15:26 Modern English Version But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness of Me.

John 15:26-27 COMMENTARY BY MATTHEW HENRY The blessed Spirit will maintain the cause of Christ in the world, notwithstanding the opposition it meets with. Believers taught and encouraged by his influences, would bear testimony to Christ and his salvation.

John 16:13 English Standard Version When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

Thursday – Why Does It Matter?

Romans 5:5 New Century Version And this hope will never disappoint us, because God has poured out his love to fill our hearts. He gave us his love through the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to us.

Ephesians 2:18-19 New International Version 18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit. 19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household.

Ephesians 2:18 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY The true aim of all religion is to find access to God. The three persons in the Godhead are all presented are all presented in this verse: Him (Christ), the Spirit, the Father. By one Spirit. Or, “in one Spirit.” There is not one Spirit for the Jews and another for the Gentiles. The Father. This word would be particularly rich in meaning to those who were “afar off.” To the Gentiles, weary of their deities and seeking the “unknown God” (Acts 17:23), the idea of a loving Father would present a strong appeal.

Philippines 2:13 Common English Bible God is the one who enables you both to want and to actually live out his good purposes.

Philippines 2:13 SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY God provides the stimulus for our initial determination to accept salvation and our power to make that decision effective. This does not mean that we are completely passive entities, subject only to God’s disposal, but that God provides the stimulus that awakens our desire to be saved, that He enables us to make the decision to attain salvation, and that He supplies us with the energy to make the decision effective so that salvation is accomplished in our lives. Redemption is thus figured as a cooperative work between God and man, with God furnishing all the needful powers for man’s use.

Friday – Further Thoughts

Ellen White, Desire of Ages, p. 669 – “At all times and in all places, in all sorrows and in all afflictions, when the outlook seems dark and the future perplexing, and we feel helpless and alone, the Comforter will be sent in answer to the prayer of faith. Circumstances may separate us from every earthly friend; but no circumstance, no distance, can separate us from the heavenly Comforter. Wherever we are, wherever we may go, He is always at our right hand to support, sustain, uphold, and cheer.”

Ellen White, Desire of Ages, p. 671 – “The Comforter is called "the Spirit of truth." His work is to define and maintain the truth. He first dwells in the heart as the Spirit of truth, and thus He becomes the Comforter. There is comfort and peace in the truth, but no real peace or comfort can be found in falsehood. It is through false theories and traditions that Satan gains his power over the mind. By directing men to false standards, he misshapes the character. Through the Scriptures the Holy Spirit speaks to the mind, and impresses truth upon the heart. Thus He exposes error, and expels it from the soul. It is by the Spirit of truth, working through the word of God, that Christ subdues His chosen people to Himself.

Ellen White, Desire of Ages, p. 671 – “Christ has promised the gift of the Holy Spirit to His church, and the promise belongs to us as much as to the first disciples. But like every other promise, it is given on conditions. There are many who believe and profess to claim the Lord’s promise; they talk about Christ and about the Holy Spirit, yet receive no benefit. They do not surrender the soul to be guided and controlled by the divine agencies. We cannot use the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is to use us. Through the Spirit God works in His people "to will and to do of His good pleasure." Phil. 2:13. But many will not submit to this. They want to manage themselves. This is why they do not receive the heavenly gift. Only to those who wait humbly upon God, who watch for His guidance and grace, is the Spirit given. The power of God awaits their demand and reception. This promised blessing, claimed by faith, brings all other blessings in its train.”

Is the reason there is very little discussion on the Holy Spirit because we all already have it or because we don't care? Don't understand? Or don't think it is important?

Perhaps because the lessons do do a very job explaining the various angles of the Holy Spirit's existence and work.

On 2/11/2017 at 6:23 PM, Gail said:

Is the reason there is very little discussion on the Holy Spirit because we all already have it or because we don't care? Don't understand? Or don't think it is important?

I would say for the most part, we don't really understand, at least that's true for me. I have no problem with believing in the HS or the Trinity. It makes a lot of sense. Also from my studies I can't see any reason at all for not accepting the concept of the Trinity.  from way back in my early teens I had learned about the Trinity, from Dr JM Hoffman. Not only that, how Satan has an evil Trinity! So if Satan counter fits everything that God does or has, than in my book there has to be a Holy Trinity, otherwise why waste his time counter fitting??

Gail and The Wanderer like this

What does it mean that Jesus called the Holy Spirit the Comforter? What kind of comfort does he give?

The Wanderer likes this

12 hours ago, phkrause said:

I would say for the most part, we don't really understand, at least that's true for me. I have no problem with believing in the HS or the Trinity. It makes a lot of sense. Also from my studies I can't see any reason at all for not accepting the concept of the Trinity.  from way back in my early teens I had learned about the Trinity, from Dr JM Hoffman. Not only that, how Satan has an evil Trinity! So if Satan counter fits everything that God does or has, than in my book there has to be a Holy Trinity, otherwise why waste his time counter fitting??

The very reason that there is no counterfeit $3.00 bill, is because there is no real ones.

Gail likes this