Gail

Tents

2 Samuel 11:11 has Uriah giving his reasons to David for abstaining from his wife after David had already had her:

2 Samuel 11:11 Uriah replied, “The Ark and the armies of Israel and Judah are living in tents, and Joab and my master’s men are camping in the open fields. How could I go home to wine and dine and sleep with my wife? I swear that I would never do such a thing.” - NLT

When I first read this I envisioned a modern tent garrison. Well, no. Apparently, temporary tents such as the army would use were structures made of branches and leaves. Other people that used tents like this were shepherds or herdsmen and grape harvesters in the field.

Something like a lean-to? I thought tents were bad enough.

Yes, lean-tos. That's exactly it. I never thought about shelter for soldiers before. 

GAIL

that  as  very interesting  about  lean-to vs  tents

dgrimm60

Makes sense though.  The army wouldn't have to carry as much stuff along plus it would also punish the city they were besieging by stripping the trees from the area.

As far as Uriah was concerned, once he was used to this kind of existence (lean-tos) he would be risking possibly his health by getting soft (staying indoors) again.

Gail likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Mega Footer

You can configure this content inside your ACP under Customization > Edit > Mega Footer.

Mega Footer

You can configure this content inside your ACP under Customization > Edit > Mega Footer.