CoAspen

10 Rules for Heavan....

.....or 1 rule or more rules? Is/will heaven be a place of rules?  Rules are meant to govern behavior so will/are they needed there? Humans think of life in terms of rules/laws. It is hard for us to envision a state of mind or place without them. It has been said that the 10 Rules existed in heaven before creation. Why would we believe that? The Bible talks about a relationship with God and often uses marriage as an illustration of what it means. Relationship is about connection. Love is defined as a deep affection. Love can also be defined in terms of attachment, devotion and worship. Where are the rules that produce, or one must follow, to have a loving relationship? If rule/s produces than there must be similar rule/s that one follows to insure the relationship. Do couples love each other because of rules or is it based on a relationship of deep devotion to each other that is beyond the need for rules. If that is what Christ was talking about?

Rules are meant to be broken. They imply the ability to be broken. Rules mean their is a right or wrong way. Sin can be defined as wrong doing or offense. Christianity teaches, based on the Bible, that their is no sin in Heaven, so the conclusion should also be that their are no rules there.

when the angels learned there was the law of God, were not they not described as being surprised?  the Laws of divine love were written on their being and they followed them and live by them without having them abstracted out to look at.

The transcription of God's Character only goes so far.  The ten commandments as a representation took a new seat when Christ gave the sermon on the mount.  For when God's laws are written on the heart it goes so much deeper and broader then we can humanly comprehend and follow.  though the fullness of the character of God in Christ never contradicted the ten commandments those who followed them by the letter believed Christ was trashing the ten commandments.

phkrause likes this

The ten commandments were for humans behavior. Nothing in them describes individuals we know as angels. What was Gods expectation, that with we call the Golden Rule, love each other in the same as you love yourself. AS I said, humans can only understand laws. Does Christ/God need a law to love his creation. Do parents have a law that proscribes that they should and how to love their children? 

What is exactly is the Law of divine love? 

When I look at the 10 Commandments I learn about my own heart. I learn what love is and how far from that standard my selfishness is.

phkrause likes this

I think there is a purpose behind calling the ten commandments rules.  We as humans relate to rules.  They are what define what is proper and improper in a given society.  I believe they were written so strongly with the "thou shalt not..." for the sake of their audience at the time.  The children of Israel were just coming out of slavery and were used to being told what to do.  That is the type of language they knew how to relate to.  I think that God worded them the way He did to make a point, to show them that He was in charge and to get their attention. 

While I know the ten commandments are sometimes called rules, I like to think of them more as general principles to live by because they go much deeper than just giving us boundaries.  They represent God's character.  They are a verbal/written way of expressing who He is and how He relates to us in a way that we can comprehend.  The first four demonstrate how God wants the relationship to be between us and Him and the last six demonstrate how people are meant to relate to each other.  I believe that if we accept Christ into our hearts, then the ten commandments are more of a description of what we would want to do more than a set of dictates telling us what we can/cannot do.

As far as them being in heaven, I don't think we will need them written down anymore because no one will have any desire to live outside of the boundaries they provide.  Besides we will be with God who is the perfect example of them.

if there are rules in heaven, that implies rules can be broken, and will have a consequence...  

CoAspen likes this

10 c's define right and wrong behavior which is how sin is defined. If there is no sin in heaven how can those 10c's exist written or not written? i would suggest it is nearly impossible to think of a life or place w/o rules, understood or not, because we have never experienced or know of such. 

2 minutes ago, rudywoofs (Pam) said:

if there are rules in heaven, that implies rules can be broken, and will have a consequence...  

Exactly!!

By the way, this conversation is not meant to be about the 10c's and why they are here on earth, but about Heaven!

CoAspen,

The best response I can come up with to your question about the law of divine love is that is like the law of gravity.  We cannot choose when or if gravity will work.  It just works no matter how hard we might try to stop it.  I think the law of divine love works the same way.  It is the foundation to God's creation.  It is who God is and that will never change.  Basically the idea is that divine love will always abound in the universe whether we choose to accept it or not.

CoAspen likes this

Dig deeper to the principles behind the rules. Man seems to need rules; God's love, His mercy. His justice are principles.

debbym and LifeHiscost like this

The only definition that humans have for rules are ones that have a negative aspect. If we have 'rules' for/in heaven, how do we get rid of fear?

I agree that the word rule can have a negative connotation.  It seems to imply that someone or something is taking away your free will by telling you have to do something whether you like it or not.  But I think in heaven rules will not be viewed in the same way as on this earth.  Yes, I think they will still exist, but they will not feel like such a limiting force.  Instead I think they will be more of a description of what real love is, the way God meant it to be.  

For example 1 John 4:21 says "this commandment we have from Him (God): that he who loves God must love his brother also".  This rule at first may seem to be controlling.  But I think at a deeper level it is more of a description of what loving God is like.  If you love God, you will love your brother (neighbor, etc.) not because God is holding a rule over your head and forcing you to love that person, but because loving that person is the natural result of loving God.

1 John 1:18 says that there is no fear in love because perfect love casts out fear.  In heaven, we will be with God who loves us so perfectly that any rules that do exist would only be there to demonstrate the depth of His love for us.  Why should we be afraid of a God who loves us so much that He saved us and wants to live with us forever?

It's very difficult to imagine life in pre-fall paradise or in heaven. Much of our existence and activity, goals and aspirations, are related to our fallen nature. The curse of Genesis, that it would be by the sweat of our brow that we would earn our daily bread occupies much of our time. The education of our children is largely designed to equip them to earn a living and earn their daily bread. All of our charitable work - care of the sick, feeding of the hungry, care for widows, orphans and the poor, will be unnecessary in heaven. Our impatience and our sense urgency are informed by our knowledge that time is short. With eternal life, what are the consequences of being late? Procrastination becomes irrelevant.

On earth, in our fallen state, we are born to struggle. The "rules" of the 10 commandments, or the golden rule, or any variations of it, are designed to regulate this struggle. The prohibition against theft - in a paradise of plenty, what is there to steal? What is there to covet? With eternal life, what is there to kill?  With the Lord present in all His glory, why would anyone make a graven image? If there's no "marriage and giving in marriage", the proscription against adultery makes no sense either.

CoAspen likes this

We as humans can not understand a place of being without rules. Therefore we can only project that their must be rules, everywhere and all the time. They started with Eden, don't eat or die, the one and only. Why? It was a test situation for a new race of beings. This race was created in a place where Evil already existed. Good and evil(sin) coexisting. We are told that evil will not exist anymore after Lucifer is destroyed. If we are changed from mortal to immortal w/o any chance of evil ever existing again, rules/laws cease to exist. I submit heaven will exist w/o rules because it is impossible for them to exist. It will mean a different concept than we can now concieve of.

Just a note, heaven is only our residence for 1000 years, most of eternity will be in the NEW EARTH.

What about rules here.

phkrause likes this

Rules are/can be broken. I believe that evil/sin will exist no more, so how can there be rules to break? No sin in heaven, but sin possible again on the new earth? If it is possible to break a rule how can evil be gone?  Nope, I don't believe there will be rules. Perfection through out the universe will have been achieved. Why do we feel that there must be rules?

pierrepaul likes this

I kind of agree CoAspen. The reason I say that, is because even though there will not be "so called rules" I believe they will be in our DNA!

It's also hard to imagine how a perfect eternal society would be organised. In our world, we have different levels of familiarity and friendship, from close friends and family to casual acquaintances to strangers. Strangers are strangers because either we haven't had the time to meet, don't live in proximity to each other or don't really get along with them.

In a perfect eternal society, eventually everyone will meet everyone; everyone will get alone with everyone. The need to form close bonds with some and not others here on earth is based on our limited time on earth, our mistrust of the stranger, our need to bind together to better struggle for survival, and our biological desire to reproduce. In the new earth, will these factors exist? Will I prefer the company and companionship of some rather than that of others? Presumably, without any envy or jealousy in us, there will be no struggle to get beachfront property or the penthouse apartment overlooking the town square in the New Jerusalem. We will not be motivated by such petty and sinful desires, so we won't need rules to govern ourselves.

CoAspen likes this