Norman Byers, N.D. Posted September 15, 2007 Posted September 15, 2007 Hey there, I will be attending the "Festival of the laity" this Sept 26 - 29th? in Orlando FL, is anyone else going? Norman Quote The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522
darlene Posted September 15, 2007 Posted September 15, 2007 No, not this time. I went to the last one and it was excellent! Wish I could go again but, there's too much happening around here. I envy you! Enjoy it for the rest of us that can't go and when you get back, share with us all the good things that happened. Quote
nuff sed Posted September 15, 2007 Posted September 15, 2007 Would like to attend but I will be at the Southern Union Pathfinder Camporee at Camp Kulaqua over the same weekend. Quote
aldona Posted September 15, 2007 Posted September 15, 2007 I thought that we believed in the "priesthood of all believers." What's with the whole "clergy vs. laity" thing? It sounds very Catholic. aldona Quote www.asrc.org.au (Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each monthIMSLP/Petrucci Music LibraryThe Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music DownloadsLooking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!
Guest charis Posted September 15, 2007 Posted September 15, 2007 I thought that we believed in the "priesthood of all believers." What's with the whole "clergy vs. laity" thing? It sounds very Catholic. I don't wanna be a priest. Quote
LifeHiscost Posted September 16, 2007 Posted September 16, 2007 Originally Posted By: aldona I thought that we believed in the "priesthood of all believers." What's with the whole "clergy vs. laity" thing? It sounds very Catholic. I don't wanna be a priest. I believe the festival of the laity is for all those who do their lay activities in a prone position on the couch each Sabbath afternoon. Just joking. Can't you take a joke Quote Lift Jesus up!!
darlene Posted September 16, 2007 Posted September 16, 2007 "clergy vs. laity" thing? It sounds very Catholic." Huh? I don't quite understand this comment in regards to Festival of the Laity? Festival of the Laity is just a place for training of church officers. I went there as a presenter. It was a very wonderful event and those who attended came in by the bus load and said they were very, very blessed! There were probably over 3,000 there. Many of the presenters there were lay members and not clergy. Probably a name change would be a good idea though. Quote
Neil D Posted September 16, 2007 Posted September 16, 2007 Oooh , it's the festival of the LA -ITY. ..... I thought it said Festival of the Lady .... Maybe that's where Aldonna is getting the Catholic idea..a mis-reading.....[Ok, now, if you will let me walk over to where this clear plexiglass is, we can begin throwing the tomatoes] Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
aldona Posted September 16, 2007 Posted September 16, 2007 "Laity" just sounds like...well... " "the great unwashed" who are not ordained...so they cannot be pastors, cannot hold high office in the .org, cannot conduct weddings or funerals or baptisms, let me see, what is it that they CAN do? I'm sure they can still do SOMETHING. Let's hold a festival to see if anyone comes up with ideas." CD :A aldona Quote www.asrc.org.au (Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each monthIMSLP/Petrucci Music LibraryThe Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music DownloadsLooking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!
darlene Posted September 16, 2007 Posted September 16, 2007 ROFL That's a good one! I happen to be a 'laity.' No training other than a degree in Physical Education. Quote
aldona Posted September 17, 2007 Posted September 17, 2007 Originally Posted By: aldona I thought that we believed in the "priesthood of all believers." What's with the whole "clergy vs. laity" thing? It sounds very Catholic. I don't wanna be a priest. "Priesthood of all believers" means that you have direct access to God as a believer, you do not need to approach Him through any mediator other than Christ. You can pray to God directly. And expect that He will answer you. You can study the Bible for yourself, and trust God's Holy Spirit to impart to you what you need to learn, without having to run everything past a Higher and More Spiritual Person for permission and validation. You can (and should) use your own conscience, instead of letting a Pastor/Priest/Inspired Writer/Prophet/Rabbi/Imam etc be conscience for you. It also means that anybody can be a minister of God's love and a minister of the Gospel, as he/she is called and used by the Holy Spirit. Not just those with the right degree and title. "Priesthood of all believers" is a concept held dear not only by the original Adventists, but by the original Protestants. Unfortunately most denominations lose it with the passage of time, and increasing size and organization of their .org. aldona Quote www.asrc.org.au (Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each monthIMSLP/Petrucci Music LibraryThe Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music DownloadsLooking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted September 17, 2007 Members Posted September 17, 2007 oh...okay.. Thanks Aldona! Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Norman Byers, N.D. Posted September 17, 2007 Author Posted September 17, 2007 Hey Aldona, Jesus ordained His disciples and also gave them information that He would have them share with others. WE are to learn about God from all methods that He has ordained and that includes Pastors, Elders, Teachers, Prophets etc... Mar 3:14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach, Joh 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. John tells us to try the spirits which tells us that when we hear something new to us from someone else we should test it for authenticity and if it is good hold on to that which we have learned from those who have more experience than us and those whom God has gifted to teach us and guide us. This is not to say that we can only and should only learn that way. In fact just about everything we all have learned comes from someone else. The Holy Spirit makes it real and brings it to life. He also helps us understand what He has inspired the Bible writers to put down in paper. Norman Quote The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522
Norman Byers, N.D. Posted September 17, 2007 Author Posted September 17, 2007 Hey Darlene, Quote: No, not this time. I went to the last one and it was excellent! Wish I could go again but, there's too much happening around here. I envy you! Enjoy it for the rest of us that can't go and when you get back, share with us all the good things that happened. I will bring a note book and write as much as I can and then share when I can here. Norman Quote The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522
darlene Posted September 17, 2007 Posted September 17, 2007 Good, I look forward to hearing your report/s. Quote
Norman Byers, N.D. Posted October 1, 2007 Author Posted October 1, 2007 Hey y'all! what a great time I had at the Festival of the laity. Great seminars, speakers, sermons, special music, sharing, fellowship, meals and many blessings. I wll try to share this week as I have time Actually the 1st seminar I went to was called, "How to teach basic Adventist doctrines" presented by Jonathan & Kathleen Kuntaraf. really good presentation and they dealt with the methods used to share. The health message was the main avenue because what we believe and live by can be proven scientifically therefore people are more likely to listen. The Holy Spirit impressed me with the importance of living the health message if you want to reach more people. How can you teach anyone to live a healthy life if you are not doing it yourself? Then how can you reach them without the health message? I'm sure people will respond to the Gospel but why cut down (by a lot) a ability to reach others because we will not do what is best for us? Kind of silly when you think about it! They gave us a Compact Disc with the powerpoint presentation that they had so we can use it at our churches and realte to our church fanily what they related to us. I thought that was so cool! In fact, just about all seminars were put on a Compact Disc so we could share them with our churches. Later, Norman Quote The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522
darlene Posted October 1, 2007 Posted October 1, 2007 I just knew it was going to be good! Thanks for reporting, Norman. Waiting to hear more....... Quote
Neil D Posted October 1, 2007 Posted October 1, 2007 Dang it...I prolly should have gone... :bible: And I need to go to those type of things.... but they are never near by.... "...Um, my daughter is in Italy, compleating her 2nd degree. She has one in Communications and the 2nd will be Italian and culture. so when this topic " Festival of the laity" comes up, I keep reading it wrong....Now, when I read this, I thought it said " festival of Italy"...I guess we all know where my thoughts are... LOL Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Moderators Denise Posted October 1, 2007 Moderators Posted October 1, 2007 Quote: ....Now, when I read this, I thought it said " festival of Italy"...I guess we all know where my thoughts are... LOL Your funny Neil!! I went with Norman, but didn't go to the classes.....my family lives nearby, so I visited with them, but I did go to Sabbath School and divine worship, and what a blessing that was!! I met Walter Pearson, and he preached a really good sermon! I always see him on tv on Sabbath and look forward in watching him, but got to watch him up close in person...that was indeed a Sabbath treat! Then, I found out at the last minute, that the public and anyone who didn't register for the fesitival, that they were invited to the general sessions at 7:30-9:30 pm, and missed out on that!! If I had known, I would of attended, for there was Shawn Boonstra one evening, and a few others....It didn't state on the folder that the public and others were invited, so no one really knew....I had to call and see if I could go on the Sabbath...but didn't think to even ask about the night sessions...Norm took a lot of pics, so I am sure he will post some as well.... Quote Be Kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another... Monticello Georgia
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.