Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Nominations for the team of 5


Recommended Posts

Posted

No Personal Attacks against WHOM?

That has to be addressed. Do personal attacks against politicians count?

riverside.gif Riverside CA
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Stan

    27

  • David Koot

    25

  • Woody

    25

  • CyberGuy

    22

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

This whole thing is not going to work for some. I can see a lot of loop holes. Many will learn how to push peoples buttons by saying things in a certain way that is NOT a personal attack but because of personal history the other person will take personal affront to it and fly into a rage.

Who is the offender. The one who delibrately pushes anothers buttons knowing it will make them angry or the one who gets angry. This will come up. Think about it.

Paraphrasing Learned Hand in a famous USSC case: If the people themselves will not exercise restraint, then it is the end. Some of what you are talking about will undoubtedly happen. But I would suggest that it will not be endemic. There are some old fights on this Board, ongoing, but even they can be kept in check. As for the ones who are sneaky and push buttons w/o getting personal, not a lot can be done, so long as they stay within the rules as written. But it will be a LOT, LOT better than it is now! As for the outraged response, that can be dealt with via PM and, if necessary, call for the Mounties.

Dave

Posted

Quote:
I disagree with the idea that a moderator needs to spend 2 hours here every day, moderating...

You mean that this forum can't have one person devoting two hours of time for this entire forum during a given day to promote a safer and happier place?

I think it unreasonable for a single exclusive person be moderator for 7 days a week, 2 hours per day with no breaks....2 moderators and some flexibliity can do much in a forum....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

Posted

Quote:
There must be interaction between members without the Forum Police coming in. When the admin does get involved it has often gone past that point.

AM not going to get involved everytime someone has a bad day and post something offish

So, do you have any ideas other than just coming in and blowing up without doing any education prior to that? Does that help.

Do you feel that just destroying entire theads is what should be done when you have seen enough? Is that the solution? Reminds me of when I was in school and one person was bad. The entire class had to suffer.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

No Personal Attacks against WHOM?

That has to be addressed. Do personal attacks against politicians count?

CyberGuy, what I was thinking was no personal attacks against those participating on the forum. Politicians fall under 'fair comment' and as public figures, under the NY Times rule.

Dave

Posted

Quote:
As for the ones who are sneaky and push buttons w/o getting personal, not a lot can be done, so long as they stay within the rules as written. But it will be a LOT, LOT better than it is now! As for the outraged response, that can be dealt with via PM and, if necessary, call for the Mounties.

True, but, in a forum where fun is required, moderators can encourage creativity to say the same things in a different less offensive way. For some, it will be hard to do that, but they learned to type, they can change thier style of posting as well.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

Posted

Originally Posted By: CyberGuy
No Personal Attacks against WHOM?

That has to be addressed. Do personal attacks against politicians count?

CyberGuy, what I was thinking was no personal attacks against those participating on the forum. Politicians fall under 'fair comment' and as public figures, under the NY Times rule.

Still, those who use inflamatory comments like "Bush Hate" need to understand that they can express thier comments without resorting to bumper sticker slogans designed to be inflamatory.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

Posted

Originally Posted By: Redwood
Quote:
I disagree with the idea that a moderator needs to spend 2 hours here every day, moderating...

You mean that this forum can't have one person devoting two hours of time for this entire forum during a given day to promote a safer and happier place?

I think it unreasonable for a single exclusive person be moderator for 7 days a week, 2 hours per day with no breaks....2 moderators and some flexibliity can do much in a forum....

I said one person on a given day. You assign one different moderator for each day of the week to take care of the entire forum.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Well, Stan, a few things we know from observation here:

1) What is happening now is NOT working.

2) The forum needs rules. This has been a disaster.

3) Rules should be few and clearly defined.

3) The rules need to be uniformly enforced.

4) Admin is responsible for making and enforcing the rules. To try to hand this off to members would be disastrous.

Stan, that goes with the territory. Part of the 'joy' of operating a public forum.

Posted

Originally Posted By: CyberGuy
No Personal Attacks against WHOM?

That has to be addressed. Do personal attacks against politicians count?

CyberGuy, what I was thinking was no personal attacks against those participating on the forum. Politicians fall under 'fair comment' and as public figures, under the NY Times rule.

Dave

All right but what about Church leaders then. I remember that Stan banned all discussion on Danny Sheltons divorce of his wife as a personal attack against Danny Shelton. Many of us thought we were just attacking the act of divorcing his wife and marrying someone else. Attacking an action.

Problem is attacking ones actions becomes blurred with attacking a person. It is all a matter of how one says the same thing. A wrong word and it is a personal attack. Change ONE or two words and it is attacking the action and not the person.

I think we are treading on ground that is to vague here.

riverside.gif Riverside CA
Posted

There is a natural process of Social Ostrazation that take place in any group, you don't play well with others and you get left out and shunned, it is not a planned process.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

 

Posted

Just use common sense..

Do we need rules for social interaction in Churches? Do Pastors/Elders get involved with every squabble?

If that is your decision. That common sense is the only rule. You are going to need to give specific educational warnings as to how someone has breached the common sense rule. Because NO one will see your common sense.

Educate

Warn

Educate

warn

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

All right but what about Church leaders then. I remember that Stan banned all discussion on Danny Sheltons divorce of his wife as a personal attack against Danny Shelton. Many of us thought we were just attacking the act of divorcing his wife and marrying someone else. Attacking an action.

As I recall reading the stuff, it certainly looked libelous to me. Went beyond fair comment. Other than that, there was discussion pro and con. As for criticizing church leaders . . . well, remember, 'power corrupts.' We need the Fourth Estate for checks and balances. As for distinguishing between challenging ideas and personal attacks, that may take some education--but it can be done.

Dave

Posted

Not all of us are RULES people, I am not in the box.

But Stan, for a public forum involving a lot of people, there HAVE to be rules. Gotta be done, or things will continue to go downhill IMO. Bite the bullet, man.

Posted

Most of the problems have happened over differing positions on varies matters, women's ordination, tithe, etc etc

As I have said clearly in the past. Those who have weak positions blow up easy, or something similar.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

 

Posted

Originally Posted By: Neil D

I think it unreasonable for a single exclusive person be moderator for 7 days a week, 2 hours per day with no breaks....2 moderators and some flexibliity can do much in a forum....

I said one person on a given day. You assign one different moderator for each day of the week to take care of the entire forum.

Works for me, but I doubt that one person on ONE specific day is gonna work out. While you might like all the tuesdays, I will not do all Saturdays exclusively...

And I doubt you will find 7 moderators for 122 forums....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

Posted

No Redwood, the 'common sense' rule won't work. It is too vague and not enforceable, as well as varying with the individual. You really need specifics. As for ostracization, that is not--repeat not--a healthy basis to rely on in policing a forum. It is an awful thing, and should be avoided rather than encouraged. Not a good way to go. Stan, you need to have rules here. Cmon man, get it over with.

Posted

As I have said clearly in the past. Those who have weak positions blow up easy, or something similar.

I think you ought to do it my way! It's just common sense. In fact, I insist that it be done my way or it's the highway....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

Posted

All right but what about Church leaders then. I remember that Stan banned all discussion on Danny Sheltons divorce of his wife as a personal attack against Danny Shelton. Many of us thought we were just attacking the act of divorcing his wife and marrying someone else. Attacking an action.

That was banned as they become became a liability to me, and I was not going to carry that burden.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

 

Posted

Originally Posted By: CyberGuy
All right but what about Church leaders then. I remember that Stan banned all discussion on Danny Sheltons divorce of his wife as a personal attack against Danny Shelton. Many of us thought we were just attacking the act of divorcing his wife and marrying someone else. Attacking an action.

As I recall reading the stuff, it certainly looked libelous to me. Went beyond fair comment. Other than that, there was discussion pro and con. As for criticizing church leaders . . . well, remember, 'power corrupts.' We need the Fourth Estate for checks and balances. As for distinguishing between challenging ideas and personal attacks, that may take some education--but it can be done.

Dave

And what happened. All the discussion when to the BlackSDA forum. Get to harsh here and we will lose membership to other forums.

riverside.gif Riverside CA
Posted

And what happened. All the discussion when to the BlackSDA forum. Get to harsh here and we will lose membership to other forums.

Better that than being sued for being a repeater of libel. That falls under one of the 'big three' I listed: no libel.

Dave

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...