Woody Posted February 2, 2008 Posted February 2, 2008 I wonder if I am alone in this thought ... but I find a lot of "self-promotion" or "Self Ads" on 3ABN and Hope. I think 3ABN has the most. But I sure get tired of it. I tune in to find spiritual blessings and I get either "self promotion" for the Channel or "self-promotion" by individuals for the work of God that they have done ... IN God's name of course. I know that there is much good. But this kind of promotion just leaves a sour taste in my mouth ... especially on the Sabbath. I would take any old sermon rather than these commercials for the channel or for what God has done through some particualar individual. It is the statements ... "I did this and I did that" "God has used me to go all over the world" The focus on "me" and "I" get old. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Gene Posted February 2, 2008 Posted February 2, 2008 Redwood, If you had done one hundredth as much as Danny Shelton to promote the truth then you would have a reason to criticize, but I have reservations that that has happened. I for one have high esteem for 3ABN and the Hope TV channel, granted there are programs that I don't prefer, but they both have done more for the promotion of the Adventist Movement than you or I will ever do. I have seen that you boast of insight, but have not seen it in your posts. This is one area that I don't think you want to go. Gene Quote
Woody Posted February 2, 2008 Author Posted February 2, 2008 I fear you have read me wrong. My claim is that I don't have "The truth" . Many here feel they do. I have much to learn. I don't doubt that 3ABN and the Hope Channel do a lot of good. I listen to them both every day. I would just rather hear the Gospel than what the Channels have done to reach the world. Personal preference purely. To each his own. No criticism intended. Just a comment about preferences. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
delta Posted February 2, 2008 Posted February 2, 2008 Hi Redwood, Who cares of what did you say?! What you said here that "3ABN and Hope Channel do a lot of good" merely because you're in need of escape now! And not because of your sincere heart. Why didn't you say like this earlier? Just can't understand why your perfectionist-boastful heart's so evil by criticizing them that are not fit in your shoes. If you feel you are the best ever and need them obeying what you want, just contact both of them directly either in writing or by phone.... ...but please never condemn nor embarrassing them in front of everybody. Yet, next time the similar story would happen to embarrass you sooner and worse. Quote
Sulla Posted February 2, 2008 Posted February 2, 2008 Well the way things work is they have to pay the bills at 3ABN so they have to do some self promotion. And if Hope channel wants to keep support its in their self interest to promote what they have done. That being said I wish they both had better quality shows. You can only do so much with people sitting at a desk. People standing at a pulpit etc. And do not get me wrong I like a good sermon I wish they had more many times. But there is SOOO much more than can be done now days. And very very few Adventist working on doing anything new and interesting. Quote
miahnie Posted February 2, 2008 Posted February 2, 2008 If self promotion gets other people to work for Christ, why not? I don't count it as self righteousness. Quote
Woody Posted February 2, 2008 Author Posted February 2, 2008 Quote: Well the way things work is they have to pay the bills at 3ABN so they have to do some self promotion. And if Hope channel wants to keep support its in their self interest to promote what they have done. That being said I wish they both had better quality shows. You can only do so much with people sitting at a desk. People standing at a pulpit etc. And do not get me wrong I like a good sermon I wish they had more many times. But there is SOOO much more than can be done now days. And very very few Adventist working on doing anything new and interesting. Some good comments. Since I am home 24/7 and watch 3ABN + Hope far more than most ... I may be a little more critical I suppose. My personal preference is that I would prefer mostly sermons rather than the self-promoting interviews on what they do all over the world. Like I say ... to each their own. Some like this. And like Miahnie said ... It's certainly not self righteous to declare what God is doing. I think some of that needs to be done. Personally ... it just does not reach me as would a good sermon. I would just agree with Gene in my point here that " granted there are programs that I don't prefer. And for me what "I" don't prefer is all the talking about what the "channel" has done ... while good and fine it may be. And Sulla ... I think you may have hit the main point here about "paying the bills". They do have to "self promote" in order to do that. I see it in most of the religious channels. With the amount of time I spend watching Hope and 3ABN each day .... I can't help but "wish" that it was less. But I guess it just goes with the territory. If I were to put it in perspective ... I don't know of anyone who says they like all of the programming that lets say ... CBS or Fox puts on. You have to pick and choose according to your preferences. When I see a self promoting program on 3ABN .... I switch to Hope. And if Hope is doing the same ... I switch to LLBN. And on and on. But for those of you who like those type of programs ... it saves you the energy of using the clicker !!! Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
olger Posted February 3, 2008 Posted February 3, 2008 What do you mean by self-promoting interviews? Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Woody Posted February 3, 2008 Author Posted February 3, 2008 Thanks for the question Olger. That would be where they talk about how many satellites they have ... how far they reach .... how many potential viewers .... how much the channel has done .... how many people they have talked to that love that channel. What that particular person has done to promote the channel. What the channel means to them personally. ON and ON. It is all well and good. But, like I say ... since I watch these channels so much ... I get tired of it. I would prefer that some good sermons take up that time. No doubt some really enjoy this. And that is fine. I am expressing a personal observation and opinion. Of which I am prepared to hear what you think of it Olger. So, go for it. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Jeannieb43 Posted February 3, 2008 Moderators Posted February 3, 2008 Hi Redwood, Who cares of what did you say?! What you said here that "3ABN and Hope Channel do a lot of good" merely because you're in need of escape now! And not because of your sincere heart. Why didn't you say like this earlier? Just can't understand why your perfectionist-boastful heart's so evil by criticizing them that are not fit in your shoes. If you feel you are the best ever and need them obeying what you want, just contact both of them directly either in writing or by phone.... ...but please never condemn nor embarrassing them in front of everybody. Yet, next time the similar story would happen to embarrass you sooner and worse. With all due respect, this is the type of posts we don't need here. Redwood prefaced his original post with "I wonder if I am alone in this thought..." [or something to that effect]. He was just starting a discussion. I wish everyone could express an opinion without attacking anybody personally. That's what a discussion board is all about. Quote Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....
olger Posted February 3, 2008 Posted February 3, 2008 Well. We don't have a TV, can't afford it. But I think 3ABN has some good things on there. We went to their campmeeting twice and had a great time (sang for the little kiddies once't - tots or something..). oG Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Woody Posted February 3, 2008 Author Posted February 3, 2008 You got that right Olger. That's why I watch it every day. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Pearly Posted February 3, 2008 Posted February 3, 2008 We have 3ABN on the local Cable set up here in town and we have a small dish and get the Sky Angel system. It carries a lot of religious TV and radio channels... It carries as you probably know 3ABN and Safe TV an Adventist station from Arkansas. However it is going away March 31. I think they cannot get a contract with Dominion. Pearly Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.