Jump to content
ClubAdventist

My Church - 140 years old


Recommended Posts

Posted

My church is celebrating it's 140th year. The anniversary has been noted on the front page of our newspaper this week. It was a grand structure in it's day. It no longer has it's steeple but otherwise it looks just like it did 140 years ago.

The structure is considered a Historic Building in our area. This creates a problem in that there are strict rules as to what you can and cannot do to the structure as far as remodel etc. Just putting up a Satellite Dish was a major issue that required an act of Congress . lol.

I was just going to mention that this is a great way to interact with the community. We allow tours of the church each year during the Historic Tour. And we get much press because of it.

I recall a very old church that SDAs owned in eastern Oregon but I am not sure if we still own it.

Does anyone know of other old SDA buildings? I've been thinking of putting together a directory of Historic SDA Churches. They would not have to be related to our founders but could be. I just wanted a directory of OLD churches that we are in.

Does anyone have any ideas or help for me?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Moderators
Posted

One intersting and historic church is in Linklyn Center NY, between Cortland and Norwich. It is where Glen Coon grew up. It was a Seventh-day Baptist community. When the Adventist movement came those who accepted it were not feeling that welcome in their old Seventh-day Baptist church so they started their own church.

They are not sure what date that was, but may have been a Sabbath Keeping Adventist church even before Washington NH. I also believe that the person who coined the name "Seventh-day Adventists" came from this church.

Posted

Thank you Kevin. This is a great help. Perhaps my directory of Historic SDA churches will include history if I can get such good info such as this. I really do appreciate it. Do you have any more info such as the name of the church or contact info?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

My Church 140 years ago.

post-2281-140967427644_thumb.jpg

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Moderators
Posted

The church building in Woodland, CA, now used by Spanish-speaking Adventists, is a historic building in town. I don't know how old the building is, but the town was founded in 1889, and both James White and D.M. Canright spoke at the church. The local church historian has several binders of photos and newspaper clippings about the church's history.

LD

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...