Guest gem Posted April 26, 2008 Posted April 26, 2008 What really is Sabbath School and how do you make church members interested in attending it? Quote
Guest gem Posted April 26, 2008 Posted April 26, 2008 Too often members come to church when the Sabbath School is over, and some visitors seem following the trend. Thoughts? Quote
Members phkrause Posted April 26, 2008 Members Posted April 26, 2008 I'm not sure how to answer that exactly. Only to say that I enjoy sabbath school more than the church worship. We have this alternative class where we pick the book or one of the books of the bible to study. We go straight to the class and not to the preceding parts, the song service, etc. pkrause Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators LynnDel Posted April 26, 2008 Moderators Posted April 26, 2008 In Sabbath School one has the opportunity to be intellectually involved with Bible study and discussion. I believe I read somewhere the Sabbath School was for evangelism. It works that way in our church, and is a real blessing. A lot of people don't enjoy Sabbath School lesson discussions where sometimes there is a difference in point of view (having visited many churches, I've experienced where it's done well and where it is done absolutely horribly). Many church-only goers have had a tough week and want to sleep in, then come to church to worship in a more relaxing atmosphere and let the music and sermon of the worship service flow through them. Quote LD
Dr. Shane Posted April 26, 2008 Posted April 26, 2008 We attend Sabbath School regularly. I cannot say the same about worship service. We normally don't stay for worship service. We have yet to get our kids to sit still for the whole service. We do stay when we go to Mexico but the kids go outside and play in the church yard with other kids. Sabbath School can be done poorly and perhaps the conference should put a DVD together with various suggested ways of doing Sabbath School. I enjoy studying the same lesson that is being studied all around the globe. Today, for example, congregations in Russia, Kenya, Australia, Brazil and Japan all studied the teachings of Christ. That is awesome! Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Administrators Naomi Posted April 26, 2008 Administrators Posted April 26, 2008 I enjoy studying the same lesson that is being studied all around the globe. Today, for example, congregations in Russia, Kenya, Australia, Brazil and Japan all studied the teachings of Christ. That is awesome! I must agree that it's nice knowing the lesson is studied around the world. It is especially nice when in another country and seeing the same lesson quarterly there that we study. As for making members want to come to SS? Some observations are: People don't feel a need to come because, especially in a small church were everyone appears to have their own "group" they just don't have a group that they feel they belong. difficult question! Perhaps inviting those who seldom come to SS to sit with you, or asking them to make a contribution to the SS group. The music is usually a little less 'formal' and it's nice to see various members making their contributions. Everyone wants to feel needed ... How to make people want to come? Good question ... the short version is, that they have to want to come. Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
Moderators LynnDel Posted April 26, 2008 Moderators Posted April 26, 2008 In almost all the churches I've visited lately, and that is about a dozen, there is not a Sabbath School program for adults; just the Bible lesson discussion classes. Quote LD
Administrators Naomi Posted April 26, 2008 Administrators Posted April 26, 2008 I haven't been in that many but the 4 that I have been in all had a song service, special prayer, a song service and some type of a mission story. Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
darlene Posted April 27, 2008 Posted April 27, 2008 The first Sabbath School was organized by Elder James White in Rochester, NY, in 1853 and they began by meeting in member homes for a noon meal followed by fellowship and Bible study. Today it is intended to be: 1. A place for Bible study and prayer (where we get to know and develop our relationship with God) 2. A place for fellowship (where we get to know and love our immediate family and then our church family) 3. A place for community outreach projects (once we know our family and our church family we in turn reach out to those immediately around our church - our community) 4. A place where we hear what God is doing around the world through the mission emphasis (once we reach out to our community then we reach out to those beyond our community - the world) Most churches miss out some of the objectives such as fellowship and community outreach. Sabbath Schools that are growing across Noth America have a class leader as well as a class teacher. The leader's duty it is to lead in love and care for the members. If they have a class leader Sabbath Schools will thrive and grow! If a person knows they are loved and cared for they will be there! That is a proven fact. Most members who do not come to Sabbath School do not know and do not feel loved and cared for. Why go if no one cares about you? So.....yes, our Sabbath Schools need a lot of work to become all that they can be. Sorry....I get going on this and can't stop. Sabbath School is one of my conference responsibilities. Quote
Guest gem Posted April 27, 2008 Posted April 27, 2008 It is nice to study the Sabbath School lesson together where people can share their views about the lesson. I've seen SS discussions turned into a debate kind of thing and some people get hurt or feel offended when someone told them their point isn't right. Then later on you hear "I was so tired last night, I forgot to set the alarm, etc." Then you see them at devine service but not in SS. Quote
Guest gem Posted April 27, 2008 Posted April 27, 2008 I haven't been in that many but the 4 that I have been in all had a song service, special prayer, a song service and some type of a mission story. I've seen the same: song service, mission story, and prayer. Then the lesson discussion for 45 minutes or so. I've also been to some churches where they changed the program a little bit to make it interesting, like for example, get the kids involved and some visual enhancements. Quote
Dr. Shane Posted April 27, 2008 Posted April 27, 2008 The problem I have seen is when some members try to show the other members how intelligent they are. Or two members disagree with each other and start an argument in class. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Woody Posted April 27, 2008 Posted April 27, 2008 I was not able to get much out of the lesson this last week. My wife and I studied it together ... but it just didn't seem to be there. It was such a big topic and was addressed so superficially. However ... at SS ... the teacher made it come alive with good insights. I love hearing the variety of views and insights at SS. It makes me feel united. One way to make people want to attend is to become a unit of believers. You need to come together united in purpose and have activities outside of SS. Once my SS class started with small outreach activities and ended up being the largest SS outreach activity of our church in the world. Quite a bold statement but I believe it is true. It launched a world-wide multi-million dollar mission. Yes, there were people with $$$s. But, it still started small and people got united and behind the mission. Exciting. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
darlene Posted April 27, 2008 Posted April 27, 2008 Your class sounds like a very good one Redwood. Wish all SS classes were like yours. Quote
Woody Posted April 27, 2008 Posted April 27, 2008 Your class sounds like a very good one Redwood. Wish all SS classes were like yours. I have to clarify that it is not my 'current' SS class . It was from a former church. We don't have that kind of money in my current church. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
darlene Posted April 27, 2008 Posted April 27, 2008 Well then, it was a good class and I don't think it was just money that made it a good class. They made you feel like you were contributing something worthwhile and that you belonged. Hope you have a class now that you feel is contributing something and that you feel loved and accepted in your class. A class should not just have Bible study although that is the most important aspect of the class; the class should teach it's members to love and care for others just as Jesus does. It should help people see what God is doing around the world and it should help members get involved in outreach to their communities. Those are so important to helping us want to come early to Sabbath School each week. Quote
Guest gem Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 A class should not just Bible study although that is the most important aspect of the class; the class should teach it's members to love and care for others just as Jesus does. It should help people see what God is doing around the world and it should help members get involved in outreach to their communities. Those are so important to helping us want to come early to Sabbath School each week. I like what you said here, Darlene. Quote
Brutha Bouregard Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 Sabbath School is a place where the Lord can bless those members and see the workings of the Lord our God. We need to plead and cry between the porch and the altar for God's blessing on ourselves and those we seek to bring into the fold.... We need nothing from the world, but we need to follow the Lord's leading and follow His word.... Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.