Jump to content
ClubAdventist

And tonight I gave thanks and pleas


Recommended Posts

Posted

>

> SUNDAY, JULY

> 13, 2008, 11:26;21 AM

> http://www.orovillemr.com/news/ci_9860331

>

>

> Off the Record: 'They walked in the

> heart of the fire ...'

>

> By KYRA GOTTESMAN

> Article Launched: 07/12/2008

> 12:05:58 AM PDT

>

>

> Driving to the Sacramento airport at 9 o'clock, I

> couldn't see the stars let alone the tail lights of the

> cars I knew were ahead

> of me. The fog reduced visibility to a few hundred yards

> and the rain pinged

> hard against my truck.

> Not such odd weather for January but this is July.

> The fog was smoke and rain was swarms of bugs committing

> suicide by windshield.

> I kept the windows closed, the air on and shuddered in

> horror. This was too much

> like a reality end-of-the-world sci-fi movie.

>

> I've only caught glimpses

> of Table Mountain a few times in the past month. Many days

> I can't even see my

> neighbor's house across the street. The sun has been a

> fuzzy orange ball and the

> light is all wrong for this time of year. Even the thought

> of a summer barbecue

> turns my already knotted stomach up-side-down.

>

> I log on to local news

> Web sites every few hours to read updates like some addict

> going for a fix that

> won't really make me feel any better. Friends outside

> California have e-mailed

> me pictures of blue skies, which I have taped to my office

> window.

>

> But I

> know that there are others feeling the effects of Mother

> Nature's wrath more

> than I - those who have lost their homes; and those who are

> spending anxious

> days waiting to see if they will have homes to return to;

> and those who have

> stood on the lines for weeks now facing the flames.

>

> And so I allocate

> myself three minutes (yes I set the timer) of

> self-indulgent pity each morning

> when I step outside into the dismal gray stench and then I

> get my butt in gear,

> go to work and later head to the Las Plumas High School

> evacuation center.

>

>

> The folks at the evacuation center wear the stress like

> some odd theater

> masks. Even their smiles are distorted. I wonder as I guide

> them toward the ice

> chests with cold drinks, or the trays with hot chicken, or

> the plates and forks

> for fresh baked cherry pie, what they really look like.

>

> In between the

> serving and restocking and the cleaning, I talk with them.

> I ask where they live

> - Berry Creek, Concow and Camelot. They in turn ask me what

> I know about the

> fires and I tell them. They are more hungry for information

> than they are for

> food. The intensity of their listening is palpable.

>

> A man with tears

> streaming down his face comes to me with a battered tin

> coffee pot wondering if

> he could get some ice for his old dog. They are staying in

> a camper in the

> parking lot across the street and the heat and the smoke

> are taking their toll

> on his best friend.

>

> I fill the pot with ice and ask him if he's eaten;

> there's plenty of food. "Thank you

> ma'am," he says. "I'm doin'

> fine." I don't

> think he's telling me the truth but before I can

> insist, another evacuee comes

> up asking for two cups of ice and the camper with the tin

> coffee pot fades back

> into the crowd.

>

> The new arrival is more than the usual anxious. "Is

> someone hurt?" I ask. His sister, who is sitting in a

> far corner of the gym, is

> having an asthma attack. I hand him the cups of ice and

> glance toward her over

> my shoulder. Even from a distance I can see she is not

> getting enough oxygen.

> Her skin is as pale as her faded blond hair.

>

> I go in search of a nurse

> who hurries across the gym as another woman comes toward me

> smiling. She just

> got word from some firefighters that her house is fine and

> her dog is safe. I

> receive a hug that really should go to the men and women on

> the front lines.

>

>

> Outside, draining the excess water out of ice chests so I

> can refill

> them, the smoke burns my eyes and throat and the sweat

> drips down my face.

>

>

> "I can read," says a small voice just behind me.

> I turn to look down at

> a tiny boy, skinny and dirty with bare feet and a

> grape-juice mustache.

>

>

> "You can? That's great," I say and we both

> smile.

>

> "Do you want

> anything?"

>

> "I want to go home," he says and his smile fades.

>

>

> "I

> know," I answer wishing I hadn't asked the

> question.

>

> "But I can read,"

> he says again and I notice he's clutching a small blue

> book in grubby fingers.

>

>

> "Well, you know what would help me? It would help me a

> whole lot if you

> would read to me while I do this work. Would you do

> that?" I ask.

>

> He

> considers me for a moment and I can tell he's wondering

> if I'm just giving him

> some adult line of B.S.

>

> "Really," I tell him. "This is hard work and

> if

> you read to me, it would be very nice.

>

> "Welllllll, OK," he says plunking

> himself down in the dirt at my feet. "I'll read

> you from this new book I just

> got. It's called The New Testament." He lets the

> book fall open and starts to

> read, "They walked in the heart of the fire, praising

> God and blessing the

> Lord."

>

> I place a light kiss on the top of his head.

>

> "What was

> that for?" he asks. Then, looking up into my eyes

> brimming over with tears, he

> just says "Ohhhh," and nodding goes back to

> reading. I go back to emptying the

> ice chests.

>

> Later I take a plate of fried chicken and potato salad, a

> small bag of ice, three bottles of water and a can of dog

> food. Searching the

> parking lot I find the man with the tin coffee pot. He

> looks into my eyes for a

> long moment, takes what I'm offering and nods once

> without saying a word.

>

>

> I get into my truck and drive home thinking I went to give

> and knowing

> instead I received.

Lift Jesus up!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...