Kountzer Posted September 1, 2008 Posted September 1, 2008 As I recall we had some spirited discussion of Nagin 3 years ago during the hurrican Katrina crisis. During the news conference today he seemed a lot more confident, subdued and in control than he did 3 years ago. Anyone else have a take on this topic? DB Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Woody Posted September 1, 2008 Posted September 1, 2008 I agree 100% with you on this. I thought Nagin was a joke during Katrina. And I sure wondered why they voted for him. But, I guess they knew him better than I. You are right ... I think he has done a much better job. I guess we can all improve. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
olger Posted September 1, 2008 Posted September 1, 2008 He probably sees this hurricane as an opportunity to undo some of his antics during `05. As to blaming the President for the Katrina aftermath, that is just silly. An effective leader delegates people to do their respective jobs. A ineffective citizen demands that the government would take care of them. Katrina highlighted a nanny state mindset that permeated New Orleans and robbed people of responsibility. The floods in Iowa this year stand in sharp contrast to the immature lawlessness of New Orleans. I hope for their sake that Gustav passes soon. One thing's for sure, the Superdome roof won't blow off this time. I guarantee it. og Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Woody Posted September 1, 2008 Posted September 1, 2008 I hate to come back and have to start right off by agreeing with Olger ... but I will. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Kountzer Posted September 1, 2008 Author Posted September 1, 2008 Gov Bobby Jindal, Bush, McCain they all will make political hay from Gustav. The fact that Nagin will also is politics as usual. Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Woody Posted September 1, 2008 Posted September 1, 2008 Ahhh. I thought Nagin was your bossom buddie ... Watch out though .... there is another hurricane at the tip of Florida. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Kountzer Posted September 2, 2008 Author Posted September 2, 2008 Yeah and there is a 8.9 earthquake coming your way and you don't know when. Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Kountzer Posted September 2, 2008 Author Posted September 2, 2008 The inevitability of a damaging earthquake still confronts everybody in the Bay Area, and we still risk substantial damage. A new study, released in 2003 by the United States Geological Survey, says that there is a 62 percent chance of a M>=6.7 earthquake during the next 30 years and that the quake could strike at any time, including today. In other words, scientists think that a magnitude 6.7 or larger earthquake is nearly twice as likely to happen as not to happen. This is a substantial increase, since in 1988, scientists thought the chance for such an earthquake was 50 percent (just as likely to occur as not to occur) within 30 years. The new report also says that the next one will most likely strike farther north than Loma Prieta, somewhere between San Jose and Santa Rosa on either side of the Bay. The epicenter of the October 1989 quake was in a sparsely populated area. The next one, according to the study, will likely be centered in a more populated area. During the Loma Prieta earthquake, shaking was so severe in the Santa Cruz Mountains that a van overturned, treetops snapped off, and many people were thrown to the ground. Because the next one is expected to strike closer to an urban area, it will cause much more damage. Fortunately, there is something we can do about it. By taking actions, such as those described in this booklet, we can drastically reduce the losses and we can make the Bay Area a safer place to live. Earthquake damage is particularly great in certain locations and in certain buildings. Most locations and most modern buildings are relatively safe. By identifying the greatest hazards, we can set priorities for using our limited resources most effectively to reduce them. The choice is ours. Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
olger Posted September 2, 2008 Posted September 2, 2008 Yeah and there is a 8.9 earthquake coming your way and you don't know when. I certainly HOPE NOT.. I'm oG and I approve this message.. Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Woody Posted September 3, 2008 Posted September 3, 2008 This hurricane has shown how backwards Haggin Nagin is. During the first hurricane he should have been tough. With this second hurricane ... he should have been softer as it turns out. The guy is just all mixed up. Now he is haggin them about not comin back. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Kountzer Posted September 3, 2008 Author Posted September 3, 2008 Whatever. You're just anonymous coward msg board know it all, or wanna be know it all. Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Neil D Posted September 3, 2008 Posted September 3, 2008 Whatever. You're just anonymous coward msg board know it all, or wanna be know it all. Whoa there buddy...I'm the one that's the anomymous coward msg board know it all...and only I get to sling that lable around..... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Kountzer Posted September 3, 2008 Author Posted September 3, 2008 Citizen of heaven?!? ha! Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Woody Posted September 3, 2008 Posted September 3, 2008 I would respond with a Hmmm but I would get another Sabbatical imposed on me if I did. So, I will remain silent. THE moderator might be lurking. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted September 4, 2008 Members Posted September 4, 2008 Originally Posted By: Kountzer Whatever. You're just anonymous coward msg board know it all, or wanna be know it all. Whoa there buddy...I'm the one that's the anomymous coward msg board know it all...and only I get to sling that lable around..... Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
olger Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 This hurricane has shown how backwards Haggin Nagin is. During the first hurricane he should have been tough. With this second hurricane ... he should have been softer as it turns out. The guy is just all mixed up. Now he is haggin them about not comin back. You gotta point, Rwood. remember me? --> OG !! Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Neil D Posted September 4, 2008 Posted September 4, 2008 Citizen of heaven?!? ha! Hmmmmm.....I don't know if I have the faith for that title any more...I have come to the conclusion that if the good Lord desires me there, I am more than willing to be there...I just don't want to embarrass Him any more with titles claiming that I am His and then do things that will tarnish His good reputation and that of His friends...So, I go around claiming other titles...like that of the mudslinger of ClubAdventist or the anonymous ...How did you say that?....? Well, anyways...I'm it... And I do reserve the right to call other rude individuals evolutionary scumbucket low lifes...Of course, if I do, I will probably be booted for a month....which might get me back my title of being the bad boy of ClubAdventist...and I will win... PS- Pam- glad to see your smiling face.... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Woody Posted September 5, 2008 Posted September 5, 2008 Quote: Of course, if I do, I will probably be booted for a month....which might get me back my title of being the bad boy of ClubAdventist Sorry. I own that the title of bad boy. And I ain't givin it up any time soon. At least I hope I don't. I would hate to see anyone else booted out. So, watch your tongue Neil Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted September 5, 2008 Posted September 5, 2008 Quote: remember me? --> OG !! Ugg. I don't. I have NO memory. And don't even think of trying to stir it up. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Bravus Posted September 5, 2008 Moderators Posted September 5, 2008 OG - according to Ice-T at least, that means 'Original Gangsta', right? Quote Truth is important
Woody Posted September 5, 2008 Posted September 5, 2008 Yes Bravus. That is true. And I don't want to be reminded of the 'Gangsta' type activities seen. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Kountzer Posted September 6, 2008 Author Posted September 6, 2008 It's funny how one forumer mayor of a town of 7,000 or less, who made questionable decisions is being praised, while another mayor of a major, albeit troubled city is being pilloried. I think Nagin is doing a good job. I live 500 miles away, and I don't keep up with the daily activities in the crescent city. I think he's done a good job taking care of his ocnstituents. He made several trips here to Houston during the Katrina crisis, and beyond, to check on them. Those who kick back on msg boards and throw stones, for entertainment purposes, or maybe it is for spiritual enlightenment, should consider the fact that NO politics, and Louisian politics in general has always been jacked up. It didn't get that way when Nagin got into office. The hurricane just exposed the problems. And it is not just the mayor's office. the governors, the senators, the congressmen, the prez in the white house, both dems and publicans, they all contributed. It's been like that since Huey Long, since Huey Newton, his namesake left for Oakland, lol. It was like that since before the Louisiana purchase. All considered I think the mayor of NO has done a good job. Other than snipes from msg board experts, or wanna bes, I haven't anything creditable to the contrary. DB Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
olger Posted September 7, 2008 Posted September 7, 2008 It appears that the proper handling of Gustav is more a reflection of the able Jindal, then of "chocolate" Nagin. og Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Kountzer Posted September 7, 2008 Author Posted September 7, 2008 If Nagin was mayor of this msg board he'd be in trouble, but being as how he is not, who cares? As for stupid comments, McCain once told a mean spirited joke, saying Chelsea Clinton was so ugly because Janet Reno is her father. Everyone has forgiven him for that, so Nagin would be forgiven for his chocolate city comment. Oh that's right, forgiveness is Christlike, can't be having that. It would be out of charecter. DB Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Kountzer Posted September 7, 2008 Author Posted September 7, 2008 p.s. McCain can't see too well, CC is not unattractive. Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.