Jump to content
ClubAdventist

The Topic Re: Jim Coffin was Moved & Marked "Access Denied"


Recommended Posts

Posted

Greetings & Happy Sabbath!

I intended to respond to the discussion titled: The General Conference vs Pastor Jim Coffin. However, it has been moved, and when I tried to locate it, I got the notice: “Access denied.” That discussion was in response to Jim Coffin’s blog titled “Justice Denied.” Link: http://justicedeniedjamescoffin.blogspot.com/

Anyway, I just felt the need to share my thoughts and show my support for Jim Coffin and respond to some of the posts from that discussion. Warning: This is a bit long! My intention is simply to inform, and I don’t want to have a debate with the people who posted hostile replies. Of all places, I thought the participants on this forum would support Jim. So if anyone disagrees with me, that’s perfectly fine, as I respect everyone’s right to their opinion. But I hope you think about what I have to say.

A lot of the posts were written as if the posters hadn't even read any of Jim's blog. Yes, it was long. So when did that become a sin? Are you so impatient that you can't sit down for an hour, or two, to try and understand this important matter that concerns your church?? I truly wish some of the people would have read the entire blog before posting and asking questions that were covered by Jim. If you're confused, then email Jim.

FYI: A few years ago, my family & I had an issue - a much smaller problem. We were owed thousands of dollars from an sda pastor's wife for a loan, besides thousands that we gave her. After many, many attempts to talk to her and lots of phone calls that went nowhere, we then went to Jim Coffin, then to the GC, then Jim made lots of calls for us and guess what? Nothing happened! They did nothing to help us. Even with the proof of cancelled checks. When reading Jim Coffin’s email regarding his issue, he stated: “What I describe is a pattern of administrative behavior that's far too common.” Perhaps my example is just one of many? Isn’t it time to bring these to light and expose the truth?

Re: Forgiveness. Of course, we need to forgive. But it doesn't mean that Jim has to be a doormat for employers who are supposed to be supportive yet didn't seem to care about his reputation or his job, after everything he's done for the sda church throughout the years. Unbelievable. And it doesn't mean he should be silent about the way he was treated either. Remember that Jesus was not a whimp.

And yes, my family & I forgave the lady who owes us almost $10,000. But if anyone were to ask us about lending money to her, of course we would warn them and explain what happened to us! And clearly, that is not wrong. Is this not a similar situation?

Rush4hire: I was shocked when I read your language about Jim's blog being called an “apostate web site.” He has not forsaken his faith, nor is he “cursing the church” – he’s just speaking the truth. Oh, and by the way, although you act like you know everything, FYI – Most of Jim's congregation does not even know about this matter yet! So your smart comment that he got a car out of the deal was rude and uncalled for. Friends in his congregation bought him a new car 2-3 years ago, before any of this even started. Why does that bother you? Why are you not happy that a congregation bought a car for their pastor?? Is that a “Christian” attitude?

RE: [Headline: Justice Denied: An unvarnished look at how top-level Seventh-day Adventist Church leaders have chosen to treat a loyal pastor (and his family) who came to them for help]

Rush4hire: I think your worst comment was that Jim's headline sounded like “hostility towards God.” Are you equating the church leaders with God?? I sure hope not. I wouldn’t describe Jim’s anger as hostility; it would be more like frustration. And obviously, you don’t know anything about Jim’s credentials when you say he’s a “terrible writer.” You criticize Jim’s writing, yet your posts were filled with insults and illogical conclusions. With all due respect, you sound to me like you’re trying to discredit Jim.

I've known Jim personally for 6 years, and I have complete faith that he is objective with this situation, and he has been patient as long as he could. Don't you realize what a difficult decision this must have been for him to bring this matter to the public? How many of you know Jim personally? Jim has stated the facts, showing letters & emails, so I really can't understand some of the posts. Do you feel your precious conference can do no wrong??

Also, remember there can be complex family secrets and issues that most people would never have a clue about, so I don’t feel that anyone should make judgments just because Steed acts nice to people in public.

Another point: There’s nothing in the bible that says it’s a sin if we don’t attend a funeral. Where does this “mandatory attendance” rule come from anyway? For personal reasons, I rarely attend funerals whether it’s family or friends, and I don’t feel guilty about this because for me, it’s right. It should be a personal & private decision.

I was a member of the sda church, but after learning about too many things that are hidden from members (IMHO), I realized that I needed to officially withdraw my membership. No hostility towards anyone – it's just not for me. Jim Coffin was not only gracious, accepting and understanding, but he said I was welcome anytime. How many pastors would react in this manner, without any judgments whatsoever? I'm only stating this to support Jim, his character and try to get through to the ones who didn’t support Jim’s decision. When I was reading some of these comments (not all of them, of course), I was happy knowing that I don't belong to this organization anymore. To the people who are offering prayers and understanding: Thank You!

I think the most important thing to realize is Jim’s intention for posting his blog. This is not about revenge, as rush4hire implied. Jim is trying to promote change and bring awareness of the problems with the top sda administrators. From Jim’s email: “I hope what I say, the discussions it may generate and the pressure it may exert will result in better treatment of church employees and greater accountability on the part of Seventh-day Adventist Church administrators.” If there is something that you don’t understand, then please email him about it so he can clarify it for you. Rather than focusing on the negative, let’s just pray for Jim Coffin and his family, and hope that positive changes come out of this, so that justice will NOT be denied. Jim Coffin is a magnificent pastor and he deserves to be treated fairly, with dignity and respect.

Thanks for listening and God bless you.

Posted

I have no doubt that Jim is a magnificent pastor and that he deserves to be treated fairly with dignity and respect. I applaud you for sticking up for your friend. I think both people in this unfortunate situation could have the same said about them.

However ... I would encourage all including you .... to follow Matt.18 in your dealings with people. The Bible is so easy to claim but hard to follow. But it is always best for us to make a part of our life and our dealings with fellow sinners.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

The step I’m taking in releasing this information to a broader church public is based on the principles of Matthew 18. The church is the ultimate "court of appeal." This exercise isn’t designed to embarrass the high-profile church-headquarters employee who first acted inappropriately. Nor is it designed to embarrass other members of his family—though I recognize that fallout for him and (to varying degrees) others in his family is inevitable. After all, it was his inappropriate action that precipitated this chain of events.

From justicedeniedjamescoffin.blogspot.com

Most people have a hard time reading all that information, and make comments based on what they think it said, rather than what it actually said. As you can see, Redwood, Jim did mention following the principles of Matthew 18. I suppose if he quoted it verbatim, made it 72 point bold, it would have been easier to understand. Still, it pays to read and understand the entire subject matter before commenting. I hope I'm never accused of a crime with you on the jury!

Posted

I appreciate that you can apply 'principles' of Matt.18 . Praise God. But I find few that are willing to follow it as it is written and in the order that it is written.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...