Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Wildfire near St. Helena Hospital


Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted

I haven't heard if the hospital is threatened. Those residents in danger are being evacuated to PUC. My daughter can't get to her house below the hospital due to road closure.

LD

  • Moderators
Posted

You know if there is any danger to Elmshaven?

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

  • Moderators
Posted

According to the latest news I can find, the fire is moving toward the south, which means Elmshaven and the hospital are not in its path (not so sure after reading the article below, however). High winds and steep terrain make it difficult to fight the fire.

Hundreds flee St. Helena wildfire

At least one home destroyed as blaze blows into Deer Park area

By TRACIE MORALES

THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Saturday, October 11, 2008 at 4:43 a.m.

Last Modified: Saturday, October 11, 2008 at 4:43 a.m.

An out-of-control wildfire forced 400 people from their homes in the community of Deer Park, north of St. Helena, on Friday evening, and firefighters warned the blaze could grow much larger.

At least one home had been destroyed, as well as a second unidentified structure, a Cal Fire spokesman said.

An evacuation center had been set up at Pacific Union College in Angwin north of the blaze, and the Red Cross had set up a center to the south at St. Helena High School. Food, drinks and cots were being offered at the shelters.

"The Deer Park area is our main concern right now," said Cal Fire spokeswoman Nancy Carniglia. "A lot depends on the weather."

For the rest of the article, info on where and how it might have started, go here: Wildfire

LD

  • Moderators
Posted

The news on my Yahoo home page said today that the St. Helena fire has now been fully contained.

Hallelujah!

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

  • Moderators
Posted

I'm so glad they were able to get it out. I went for a long walk this morning, and sailed along with the breeze for half my walk, but on the way back, the wind was so stiff that the noise of it in my ears prevented me from carrying on a decent conversation, and I wondered about the success of the fire fight. I looked over to the west as I walked but could see no smoke, so I hoped it was out.

The same area that burned this time, near Crestmont Drive on the way up to PUC, was burned over to a greater extent in the 60s, and was just scrub when I went to PUC in the 70s. Since then much of the vegetation had grown back and nice homes built. One has a fabulous view from up there. From my daughter's apt. you could see all the way from Napa to Calistoga.

LynnDel

LD

  • Moderators
Posted

I'm relieved that it's finally out and didn't do any more damage that it did. I know the area well, and realize any fires there could be terrible because there are so many homes among the trees.

Thanks for that information.

I'm especially glad it didn't harm Ellen White's Elmshaven home.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

  • Moderators
Posted

Aftermath: Photo of the burned land above the hospital.

Fire%20Damage.jpg

LD

  • Moderators
Posted

Thanks for that picture. Gives me some idea of what the fires did.

I used to hike around those hills above the hospital. They look shockingly bare now.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

  • Moderators
Posted

Ohhhhhhh! What devastation! And so close to the hospital and to PUC.

It's obvious the firefighters did a marvelous job keeping that fire contained.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

  • Moderators
Posted

I am heading up that way tomorrow and will try to find out who took that photo so that I can give credit where credit is due.

LD

LD

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...