Woody Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 Originally Posted By: Gladussee Why do we feel that we have to celebrate Halloween anyway? Disguising it as being a Fall Festival isn't fooling anyone. Why not wait until Thanksgiving? Good question, Gladussee. Unfortunately, it is just another way that Adventists have followed in the ways of the world. There is nothing a Christian has to celebrate about, when it comes to Halloween....it is just pagan, through and through. Yes. But if we can turn that which is pagan into something good ... I know in years past the Pathfinders would collect canned goods for the poor. Is that also pagan. Is a fall gathering for fun and games pagan? Where do we stop with giving everything to the pagans. I don't even know the pagans. And yet they seem to limit what I can do and when I can do it. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
rush4hire Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 Yes. But if we can turn that which is pagan into something good ... I know in years past the Pathfinders would collect canned goods for the poor. Is that also pagan. Is a fall gathering for fun and games pagan? Where do we stop with giving everything to the pagans. I don't even know the pagans. And yet they seem to limit what I can do and when I can do it. Well when the music starts, that's exactly the time when we're supposed to bow to the idol. What if I decide to bend down and tie my shoe at just that very time? Who's to say when I should and when I shouldn't tie my shoe? Quote I cant make a sig with 30 chrs
Woody Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 Originally Posted By: Redwood Yes. But if we can turn that which is pagan into something good ... I know in years past the Pathfinders would collect canned goods for the poor. Is that also pagan. Is a fall gathering for fun and games pagan? Where do we stop with giving everything to the pagans. I don't even know the pagans. And yet they seem to limit what I can do and when I can do it. Well when the music starts, that's exactly the time when we're supposed to bow to the idol. What if I decide to bend down and tie my shoe at just that very time? Who's to say when I should and when I shouldn't tie my shoe? I don't know what you're talkin about. Sorry. But you have MY permission to tie your shoes any time you want ... even on Halloween. I hope you are not saying that the pagans don't allow that also. But I ain't bowin to no idols. I refuse to allow them pagans to dictate what I can do and when I can do it. They are not in charge. If they think I am worshipping THEM ... then so be it. They have an ego problem man. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
carolaa Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 Originally Posted By: Redwood Yes. But if we can turn that which is pagan into something good ... I know in years past the Pathfinders would collect canned goods for the poor. Is that also pagan. Is a fall gathering for fun and games pagan? Where do we stop with giving everything to the pagans. I don't even know the pagans. And yet they seem to limit what I can do and when I can do it. Well when the music starts, that's exactly the time when we're supposed to bow to the idol. What if I decide to bend down and tie my shoe at just that very time? Who's to say when I should and when I shouldn't tie my shoe? Tying your shoe wouldn't cut it, anyway. To bow, you must have your face to the ground. Quote
Taylor Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 Halloween, in my opinion is definately a pagan holiday. However, we can turn that holiday into something good, like what Pathfinders used to do in collecting cans to give to the poor in their Thanksgiving Baskets. People were so surprised to see kids doing something for others that they were happy to give. It was a night that they expected kids to knock on their doors so they were home and in a "giving mood" so that worked well. I also think the "harvest celebrations" that some Sunday churches have done and some SDA churches are a great alternative to regular "halloween" customes. I think it particularily frustates the devil when we take something that is "pagan" and turn it into something that is Godly. I say we should keep frustrating the devil. :) Quote
aldona Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 Just tagging on here... Here is a letter to the editor in today's "Sydney Morning Herald." Quote: Bizarre foreign ritual Our neighbourhood and home were again invaded on Friday night by that strange imported event called Halloween. After the sixth knock on our door from screeching groups of little "devils" and "witches", and their equally strange parents, we barricaded our front gate. I find the role of parents in encouraging their children to partake in this bizarre foreign ritual perplexing. What does it mean for children? All I could see it doing is teaching selfish behaviour in asking to be given something for nothing on the threat of mischief, all dressed up, as one parent said to me, as "a little bit of fun". Please spare me the fun. Theresia Khoudair (Drummoyne) Quote www.asrc.org.au (Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each monthIMSLP/Petrucci Music LibraryThe Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music DownloadsLooking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!
carolaa Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 In the U.S., it is custom to turn on your porch light if you are participating in Halloween, and leave it off if you are not. I did not participate this year because Halloween was on Friday night, and also because I'm feeling cheap with the economy, so I left my light off and was not bothered by anyone. Quote
Dr. Shane Posted November 3, 2008 Posted November 3, 2008 Blame it on Bush. Economy is bad so we can't afford to celebrate Holloween. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
olger Posted November 3, 2008 Posted November 3, 2008 :) :) :) :) og Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Woody Posted November 3, 2008 Posted November 3, 2008 Blame it on Bush. Economy is bad so we can't afford to celebrate Holloween. I would blame it on Obama. He has frightened all of us during this time of year. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
rush4hire Posted November 3, 2008 Posted November 3, 2008 Tying your shoe wouldn't cut it, anyway. To bow, you must have your face to the ground. I'm sure if they would have done that, they would not have been thrown into the furnace. But they didn't tie their shoe, or anything. They stood nice and tall at that moment, because they had a cause to stand for. And it was a cause worth dying for. [color:#BF0000]Daniel 3:17 If it be [so], our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver [us] out of thine hand, O king. 3:18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up. Quote I cant make a sig with 30 chrs
Neil D Posted November 3, 2008 Posted November 3, 2008 Originally Posted By: Shane Blame it on Bush. Economy is bad so we can't afford to celebrate Holloween. I would blame it on Obama. He has frightened all of us during this time of year. If you want ol' and scary, McCain is old..Palin is scary.... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Woody Posted November 3, 2008 Posted November 3, 2008 Neil. I am ashamed of you. That is not even nice. The man is a hero. I told Liz that I would try to bee nice to you. But I just don't know. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.