Doug Posted October 30, 2008 Posted October 30, 2008 Well I have been taking Friday evenings off for about 6 months now, I initially explained a bit about what I was raised to believe with my former manager, right before he got transfered to another section of the company. My new manager knows I have Friday night off for religious observance but doesn't know the specifics. I haven't told too many of my coworkers the specifics, I thought I could work without anyone asking me about it, but it keeps coming up, someone asked me yesterday and I told them it is private. People usually like to go party or get drunk on Friday night, so I can see why people want to know. Some people have even asked me about becoming a Seventh Day Adventist so they could also get Friday nights off, I try not to read into their motivation but sometimes it isn't hard to guess. I have been struggling with my faith as of late, I don't think I am embarassed in what I believe, I just don't want people to make fun of me for what I believe, and I don't want someone to ask me a question I can't answer, or make me out to be some kind of hypocrite for something I might have done, I try to live a Christian life but sometimes you get caught up in stuff. Overall I don't think religion and politics need to be discussed in the workplace but it seems invitable in my case. Someone asked me to go to a Halloween party this Friday night, I had to make up something on why I couldn't go. Quote
nuff sed Posted October 30, 2008 Posted October 30, 2008 A generic opinion aimed at nobody in particular but addressing certain points aforetime mentioned:We are not called upon to be secret agents living a double life so that nobody catches on who we really are. Though you do not have to make yourself obnoxious by thrusting a tract into somebody's face at every opportunity, I do believe that when someone asks you why you do something or why you do not "It's a private matter" doesn't cut it. I am a Chaplain with the Orange County Sheriff's Department. I am not allowed to try to make Seventh-day Adventists out of the deputies I work with...BUT......if they ASK me about what I believe I am allowed to explain........ They all know that I am a Vegetarian and some of them know why. They make remarks to one another about something I have talked about while riding patrol for 12 hours... Like, "Hey, the Chaplain doesn't believe you are going to burn in Hell forever"...( somebody mentioned Hell one time and all I said was, "I don't believe in Hell") Then comes the opportunity when the second deputy asks, "Why not?" It may be that there are people where you work who will never get the opportunity to get to the truth except by you being the entering wedge. Afraid of being different??? Well, you are SUPPOSED to be different. You should be ready with an answer to their questioning that will open the door for more questions about what you believe. If we are afraid of ridicule now what are we going to do when our lives depend on what we answer? Our daily prayer should include "Lord, if you want me to witness to somebody today then You open the door." ' nuff sed........ Quote
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted October 30, 2008 Members Posted October 30, 2008 A generic opinion aimed at nobody in particular but addressing certain points aforetime mentioned:We are not called upon to be secret agents living a double life d so that nobody catches on who we really are. Though you do not have to make yourself obnoxious but thrusting a tract into somebodies face at every opportunity I do believe that when someone asks you why you do something or why you do not "It's a private matter" doesn't cut it. I am a Chaplain with the Orange County Sheriff's Department. I am not allowed to try to make Seventh-day Adventists out of the deputies I work with...BUT......if they ASK me about what I believe I am allowed to explain........ They all know that I am a Vegetarian and some of them know why. They make remarks to one another about something I have talked about while riding patrol for 12 hours... Like, "Hey, the Chaplain doesn't believe you are going to burn in Hell forever"... Then comes the opportunity when the second deputy asks, "Why not?" It may be that there are people where you work who will never get the opportunity to get to the truth except by you being the entering wedge. Afraid of being different??? Well, you are SUPPOSED to be different. You should be ready with an answer to their questioning that will open the door for more questions about what you believe. If we are afraid of ridicule now what are we going to do when our lives depend on what we answer? Our daily prayer should include "Lord, if you want me to witness to somebody today then You open the door." 'nuff sed........ what a good answer :smile: TU Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted October 30, 2008 Administrators Posted October 30, 2008 I second that. TU My experience has also been that being open and up front about these things serves you the best in the long run. But that doesn't mean that you have to wear your religion on your sleeve. It just means that when the opportunity presents itself in the natural course of work life, that a simple, direct and honest answer gets respect. Tom Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Woody Posted October 30, 2008 Posted October 30, 2008 Quote: I try to live a Christian life but sometimes you get caught up in stuff. First of all Cubensis ... Thank you for being so honest and transparent. This is wonderful. I would like to make a few comments. Please don't feel I am any better than you ... for I also struggle. It is just perhaps I come from a different life experience. That said ... I like very much what you said in the quote above. And I would suggest to you that THIS is what you need to share with them. Be honest. As you have with us. If they thought you were perfect or something ... I doubt they would be attracted to you. They would be repelled. The other thing I like about the quote above is that you indicated you were a Christian. You don't have to mention SDA. It will come up. But emphasize that you are a Christian. Being a Christian will be accepted far more than telling someone that you are some sect that no one really understands ... nor can they relate with. Just say as a Christian are 'trying' to follow the instructions of the Holy Bible. And yes ... you fail ... but that is your effort. And that part of following the Bible is following the example that Jesus set. Resting on the Seventh day. As a Christian and follower of Christ ... this is what you are trying to do because you feel God is telling you to do so. Make it clear that you are learning things each and every day. And that you just want to live the best life possible in order to honor Him. Cunebsis ... we get so few real opportunities in this life to share with others. Don't let your opportunity slip by. Don't push. But don't hide either. God will impress you with the right things to say. You don't have to say a lot to spark an interest. And always be willing to say that you don't know it all. And WHEN they have a question that you don't know the answer to ... just tell them YOU DON'T KNOW. But that you will find out and get back to them. These are just my thoughts. They may or may not work for you. Each of us are different. But I hope some of this helps. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators John317 Posted October 30, 2008 Moderators Posted October 30, 2008 I think everyone at my work place knows I keep the Sabbath and that I'm a Seventh-day Adventist, and I've never had anyone make fun of me for it. And even if they did, I would still tell them the truth if they asked me. Actually being SDA and reading the Bible at my work place is often a reason for people to ask me questions about the Bible. You will be amazed that there are other Christians, and maybe even another SDA, where you work. God puts us in contact with people just in order to share the Good News about Him, as well as the news about the Sabbath. If they ask me to go to a Halloween party on Friday night, I tell them that Friday night is the beginning of the Sabbath, the same Sabbath Jesus kept. If you are honest with them, and you pray about it, God will use you to spread His truth to others. They may ask you why you keep the Sabbath, and that's a great opportunity to show them from the Bible. On the other hand, if you hold it a secret, you make it difficult for other people to learn the good news. Before this can happen, though, you have to stop thinking mostly about yourself and become convinced that the Sabbath and the gospel are really good news. If you still feel timid about witnessing for Jesus and your faith, talk to other Christians at church about it, and also study the Bible and pray about this issue. If your heart is open to God's leading, He will show you how to go about it and give you the right words and thoughts. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Members phkrause Posted October 30, 2008 Members Posted October 30, 2008 I can relate to your situation. But I do agree with all the others that it is important to be honest. I especially agree with galdusee's comments. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted October 31, 2008 Posted October 31, 2008 I guess I have to amend my previous comment. I turns out ... I am a chicken also. My neighbor just said he would like to take me with his kids to do some Halloween activities tonight. I just told him I would not be able to make it. But I could have mentioned the Sabbath. Only thing ... He knows Friday night is the Sabbath. I've told him before. And they have been respective of it. Until tonight. I assume he just forgot. Ahhh. The challenges we face. I just didn't want to beat him over the head about the Sabbath. Perhaps I should have. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted October 31, 2008 Members Posted October 31, 2008 I don't think Just because you mention the sabbath that you are beating him over the head with it. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
GreatLakesGramma Posted November 1, 2008 Posted November 1, 2008 The other thing I like about the quote above is that you indicated you were a Christian. You don't have to mention SDA. It will come up. But emphasize that you are a Christian. Being a Christian will be accepted far more than telling someone that you are some sect that no one really understands ... nor can they relate with. I agree. I usually tell people that I am a seventh-day Sabbath-keeping Christian. They may then ask if I am Seventh-day Adventist, or ask what denomination I belong to. I don't hesitate to tell them, but I want the emphasis to be that I am a CHRISTIAN first and foremost. My true allegiance is to Jesus, not to a church. But I belong to the church because that's what He wants. I hope you all understand what I mean. Because a person can be faithful to a church or a denomination without having any actual connection with Jesus. I want it to be very clear where I stand. I am not a Sabbath-keeper because I am an Adventist. I am an Adventist because I am a Sabbath-keeper. The difference is significant. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Members phkrause Posted November 1, 2008 Members Posted November 1, 2008 In the review there was a article on just that. I thought that that article was right on. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
CAD Posted November 1, 2008 Posted November 1, 2008 From my experience being fear based is no laughing matter. I need my job to eat, pay bills and get my kids through school. But my heavenly Father knows of these things and still tolerates me. He knows my every weakness. So on the job-----yes, I do what HE tells me to do. Most of the time that means stay quiet----yes even talkative me. Each person I come in contact with Jesus knows way better than I do. My job is to plant seeds. So----there on sit on my computer as I get picked on daily about being vegetarian. Any corperate meal means something special has to be ordered and yes many are jealous. Many have thought of being vegetarain just to get special attention. But what strikes me most is the silent witness of my each any every day actions. Ugh. Boy am I not perfect. But true humility comes in being honest with myself. What do I feel comfortable with and each day talk that over with my Best Friend. He knows me like a book. And he can work through me only as I can lay it down. I have spent way too many years trying to be "nice", "giving", "honest---with everyone but not myself", and it left me not able to work for Him. Being honest gives God the room to teach me what I need to learn in His way. Somehow, God still uses me. I have been hated for my beliefs, harrassed, lied about, you name it. But that isn't what counts. I just keep praying----some I even ask for God to remove----and He does. I will never forgot the day when someone asked the gentlemen that sits next to me who he uses as a role model for christian living-----he said me. I almost died. Being good, honest, trustworthy won't be liked or loved always but it is what we are called to do and by only, through only, amongst his strength can I do anything. (The only reason this gentlemen respects me is because I am tough----had to be with him) I try very hard not to rub people the wrong way or plant seeds of doubt by giving them information when they are not ready but truly God only knows when each person is. My job is to stay in tune. This week something different came up. Somehow, a coworker and I got on the subject of the 12 tribes and the 12 pearls on the twelved gates in heaven. Don't even ask me how this came about. I truly do not know. But I told her two tribes didnt make it. She got interested and asked me if God had told me that. I told her I had just learned it. From a book. She became interested and wanted to know the name of the book. I told her and said I would bring it in if she liked. Every day she had to remind me----but just today 10/31 I brought it in. So tonight she will be reading this book. (by Dr. Leslie Hardinge) Does it make me nervous in terms of her blabbing all over the entire building---somewhat but if God told me to do it----it has to be good. I may not have a job, money, you name it but I still have a God and he takes good care of me. When you follow His plan somehow it all works out. It may not be easy but it works out. Surrendering self----takes a healthy self. Knowing oneself in Christ makes one stronger and capable because you can't be stuck in "self will"----(codependecy, shame based disorders etc) and your life will run with Christ running though you. Keep your head up high----your redemption draws nigh-----to and near you--- through each tough time and encounter. He loves you so. Quote
rush4hire Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 Sharing the Sabbath is the simplest thing in the world. Jesus is coming soon, so He has this reformation for us to follow, which is outlined in Rev. 14. This is what we call the 3 angel's messages. These messages do not introduce a new gospel, but give us a plan to repair the original gospel that Christ, Himself, set up: First thing that angels says is: [color:#BF0000]Rev. 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. 4th commandment of the 10 commandments: [color:#BF0000]Exo. 20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. So the Sabbath is the sign that God created the heaven, earth, and sea. This is part of the reformation. And indeed, we find the original Christians keeping the Sabbath, after Jesus died: [color:#BF0000]Luke 23:54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on. ...... 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment. Acts 13:14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down. 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. ..... 13:44 And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God. 16:13 And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted [thither]. 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures, 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks. There's no way they stopped keeping the Sabbath. There's no indication of this. If the disciples would have changed that Sabbath, there would have been much more fuss over that than over the issue of circumcision. We see alot about circumcision, but nothing about changing the Sabbath. In fact, we have a reminder here that God's people are still keeping the Sabbath: [color:#BF0000]Hebrews 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh [day] on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 4:5 And in this [place] again, If they shall enter into my rest. 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: 4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God [did] from his. 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. The word "rest" there is "sabbatismos", which means "to keep the Sabbath". The word only has one definition: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sabbatism Quote: Sabbatism Sab"ba*tism\, n. to keep the Sabbath: cf. F. sabbatisme. See Sabbath.] Intermission of labor, as upon the Sabbath; rest. --Dr. H. More. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc. So there's no possible way to get another translation from this verse. It means: "God's people still keep the Sabbath". The very day after man was created, he kept the Sabbath with God. Sabbath keeping was the first act of religious devotion. It is simply the day set aside by God, for His people to meet together every week. So, the question is, are you ready to see Jesus in all His glory with all His angels, when He returns? Are you ready to face all those saints and prophets and martyrs, who died for their faith, who will be coming up in the resurrection? At that time, all whom God can not trust with eternal life, all who will not obey His Word, will die. Are you ready for that? That's the important thing to ask. The Sabbath reformation is part of that preparation. Then you can go on talking about the progress of the protestant reformation. You can talk about the authority of the Ten Commandments, and other grand things. I'm surprised your church doesn't have a tract. Then, at the very least, you could say, "I just like this church. I'm not good at explaining these things, but I have a tract you can have." I dunno... Quote I cant make a sig with 30 chrs
nuff sed Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 We are here at the pleasure for one reason: To reflect the lovely Jesus. This includes the workplace..........We are 'open for inspection' 24/7. Our daily prayer should be, "Lord, if there is someone you want me to speak to today, You provide the opportunity and give me Your words to speak". Try it...you might like it! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.