Moderators Bravus Posted November 8, 2008 Moderators Posted November 8, 2008 It tends to be used as the opposite to 'conservative', but I'm going to start using 'progressive' as the opposite to 'conservative' instead. This is partly because, for no good reason I can understand, 'liberal' is kind of automatically a pejorative label for many Americans. Simply saying someone is a liberal is seen as itself being a criticism. Why would I want to label the kinds of ideas and positions I tend to ascribe to with a name that is reflexively and without thought considered to be negative. That seems odd to me because 'liberal' basically means 'generous' (check the dictionary for the other meanings, but few of them are negative, even within a conservative worldview). But 'progressive' also seems to me like a better alternative to 'conservative'. The opposite of 'liberal' (in its meaning of generous) might be something like 'tightfisted' or (preserve me) 'niggardly'. But 'conservative' means 'wanting things to stay as they are', so the opposite is 'wanting things to change'. Positive change is progress, so 'progressive' is a sensible opposite to 'conservative'. Quote Truth is important
Moderators Gerr Posted November 8, 2008 Moderators Posted November 8, 2008 Well, how about a progressive conservative? I have neither the time nor the smarts to re-invent the wheel everytime, so I conserve what has been tried and true, dispense with what is false, try new things -except if known to be evil (progressive) and keep (conserve) those that again are found to be true. My wife will attest to the fact that my motto in life is: Variety is indeed the spice of life. Gerry Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted November 8, 2008 Author Moderators Posted November 8, 2008 Well, the conservative political party in Alberta and elsewhere in Canada used to be called the Progressive Conservatives. I think eventually they had to acquiesce to reality and drop the 'progressive' part, but I'm sure that won't happen to you, Gerry, and I've always found your views well thought out and refreshing. Quote Truth is important
olger Posted November 8, 2008 Posted November 8, 2008 Real men don't eat quiche' Check your cupboards, oG ;0 Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Dr. Shane Posted November 8, 2008 Posted November 8, 2008 The opposite of 'liberal' (in its meaning of generous) might be something like 'tightfisted' or (preserve me) 'niggardly'. But 'conservative' means 'wanting things to stay as they are', so the opposite is 'wanting things to change'. Positive change is progress, so 'progressive' is a sensible opposite to 'conservative'. The word is "traditional". Just as many liberals would rather be called progressive, many conservatives would rather be called traditional. I am a moderate-conservative but I don't care what anyone calls be as long as it isn't late for supper. I hate being called late for supper. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
carolaa Posted November 8, 2008 Posted November 8, 2008 Then there are the conservative Democrats. Quote
Dr. Shane Posted November 9, 2008 Posted November 9, 2008 Then there are the conservative Democrats. Are you talking about me? We are a dying breed. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
BobRyan Posted November 9, 2008 Posted November 9, 2008 <deleted> Quote John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.