Woody Posted December 9, 2008 Posted December 9, 2008 Quiz Time ... Can anyone tell me the Favorite Theme of Ellen White? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted December 9, 2008 Members Posted December 9, 2008 To help each one of God's children to know him better. To fill in those gaps that the bible doesn't fill in. And to point us to the greater light "the Bible". pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Robert Posted December 9, 2008 Posted December 9, 2008 Quiz Time ... Can anyone tell me the Favorite Theme of Ellen White? Law, works, perfection.... Quote
Woody Posted December 11, 2008 Author Posted December 11, 2008 Below was her favorite theme ... Quote: " Sunday evening I spoke on my favorite theme, "The Love of God," to an attentive audience in the Theater Royal." RH, June 6, 1893 par. 6 Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Neil D Posted December 11, 2008 Posted December 11, 2008 Anyone know where the Theater Royal was? Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Taylor Posted December 11, 2008 Posted December 11, 2008 Below was her favorite theme ... Quote: " Sunday evening I spoke on my favorite theme, "The Love of God," to an attentive audience in the Theater Royal." RH, June 6, 1893 par. 6 Yes, and people who knew her said she was one of the kindest sweetest christians they ever met, must be because of her favorite theme. Quote
Neil D Posted December 11, 2008 Posted December 11, 2008 Originally Posted By: Redwood Below was her favorite theme ... Quote: " Sunday evening I spoke on my favorite theme, "The Love of God," to an attentive audience in the Theater Royal." RH, June 6, 1893 par. 6 Yes, and people who knew her said she was one of the kindest sweetest christians they ever met, must be because of her favorite theme. yeah, it DOES show that the message of Christ can change individuals....I wonder, how I can be more kind when others here get a bit terse and tell me to go suck a raw egg....or something to that effect.... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Woody Posted December 11, 2008 Author Posted December 11, 2008 Originally Posted By: Redwood Below was her favorite theme ... Quote: " Sunday evening I spoke on my favorite theme, "The Love of God," to an attentive audience in the Theater Royal." RH, June 6, 1893 par. 6 Yes, and people who knew her said she was one of the kindest sweetest christians they ever met, must be because of her favorite theme. I honestly believe that. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted December 11, 2008 Author Posted December 11, 2008 Originally Posted By: Taylor Yes, and people who knew her said she was one of the kindest sweetest christians they ever met, must be because of her favorite theme. [/quote'] yeah, it DOES show that the message of Christ can change individuals....I wonder, how I can be more kind when others here get a bit terse and tell me to go suck a raw egg....or something to that effect.... Don't be kind ... I prefer the terseness right back at me. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Neil D Posted December 11, 2008 Posted December 11, 2008 Don't be kind ... I prefer the terseness right back at me. Forget the terseness...I prefer to embarrass you.....you got thick skin and can handle it... Besides, my wicked tongue gets me in enough trouble as it is.... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Members phkrause Posted December 11, 2008 Members Posted December 11, 2008 Neil I just did a google search of the "Theater Royal" and it seems that its in the UK. So unless EGW has ever been in England than it had to be somewhere close to where she lived at the time. That would be my guess! But I will continue to try and find out. But its possible someone here on the forum will know. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted December 11, 2008 Author Posted December 11, 2008 The context of her writings would indicate it is in New Zealand. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted December 11, 2008 Members Posted December 11, 2008 I believe Ellen White was in Australia in 1893. There is/was a Theater Royal in Sydney at that time. (courtesy advanced/advanced/advanced Google search) but then, I could be wrong.... Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted December 11, 2008 Author Posted December 11, 2008 Quote: From Gisborne it is a short run to Napier. The sea was not rough, and we woke Sunday morning, anchored close to Napier. Here, also, an extensive breakwater is being constructed; but for some time yet, large ships must anchor in the bay, and all passengers and freight must be transferred to a smaller steamer, which carries us safely over the shallow waters to the pier. At the landing we were met by Elders Israel, McCullagh, and Wilson, and Mrs. Dr. Caro, who took us at once to her hospitable home, where we met Dr. Caro. He gave us a hearty welcome, and at their earnest invitation, we shared their kind hospitality all through our stay in Napier. Here I had a large airy room, with a fireplace, and every sunny day was encouraged to ride out with a horse and buggy, lent to us by thoughtful friends. We found Napier to be a beautiful place, the resident portion of the town being built on a series of high hills, overlooking the sea. RH, June 6, 1893 par. 5 Sunday evening I spoke on my favorite theme, "The Love of God," to an attentive audience in the Theater Royal. Appears it was Napier ... where ever that is. Why all this interest Neil? Are you wanting to have a pilgrimage? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators LynnDel Posted December 12, 2008 Moderators Posted December 12, 2008 I'm glad to see that EGW considered the Love of God as her favorite theme. As I've read her books, I find that to be true. I think it is the books of compilations, and those who pick and choose isolated quotes, that might lead one to think that she focused on the law and perfection. Quote LD
Woody Posted December 12, 2008 Author Posted December 12, 2008 To be fully honest ... I think she spoke of both a lot. But the idea is that you can combine them. There can be the love of God in the Law. And BTW ... it is good that someone has gotten us back on track. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Neil D Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 Appears it was Napier ... where ever that is. Why all this interest Neil? Are you wanting to have a pilgrimage? Just want to know. There was this thread about drama. Among the comments was that EGW attended theaters....I kinda wanted to know the circumstances around that...This was the result of my inquiry.... Thanks... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Woody Posted December 12, 2008 Author Posted December 12, 2008 ok Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted December 13, 2008 Administrators Posted December 13, 2008 I'm glad to see that EGW considered the Love of God as her favorite theme. As I've read her books, I find that to be true. I think it is the books of compilations, and those who pick and choose isolated quotes, that might lead one to think that she focused on the law and perfection. To illustrate this fact, I did a simple word count using the electronic search of her writings and found that the theme of love and grace does dominate her writings. Simple comparison - just the word "love" is used 31,772 times; And if you add the other forms of the word "love" -"loved" "lovedst" "loves" "lovest" "loveth" "loving" "lovingkindness" and "lovingkindnesses" - you have 41,175 times! The words "obedience" "obedient" "obediently" "obey" "obeyed" "obeying" "obeyeth" and "obeys" are used collectively only 14,747 times. The word "grace" is used almost that many times - 14,092. Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Robert Posted December 13, 2008 Posted December 13, 2008 "love" is used 31,772 times...The words "obedience"...only 14,747 times. And those 14,747 kind of overrides those 31,772 mentions of grace. If I preach grace all the time, but add one ounce of fear and condemnation, I've effectively reduced the good news to nothingness. Paul says this in Gal 5:7: You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9 "A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough." What is Paul saying? Look at the context! A little legalism works through the whole batch of grace. 10 I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be. 11 Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision [see verses 1-4], why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12 As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves! Rob Quote
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted December 13, 2008 Administrators Posted December 13, 2008 And for the legalistic "Truth" is wrongly equated with law/obedience. A friend of mine who is a Biblical languages scholar pointed out a common Hebrew parallelism (language devise of using two or more words or phrases to say the same thing). The Hebrew word translated as "lovingkindess" is often paralleled with "truth" in the OT. Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Taylor Posted December 13, 2008 Posted December 13, 2008 Originally Posted By: LynnDel I'm glad to see that EGW considered the Love of God as her favorite theme. As I've read her books, I find that to be true. I think it is the books of compilations, and those who pick and choose isolated quotes, that might lead one to think that she focused on the law and perfection. To illustrate this fact, I did a simple word count using the electronic search of her writings and found that the theme of love and grace does dominate her writings. Simple comparison - just the word "love" is used 31,772 times; And if you add the other forms of the word "love" -"loved" "lovedst" "loves" "lovest" "loveth" "loving" "lovingkindness" and "lovingkindnesses" - you have 41,175 times! The words "obedience" "obedient" "obediently" "obey" "obeyed" "obeying" "obeyeth" and "obeys" are used collectively only 14,747 times. The word "grace" is used almost that many times - 14,092. That is awesome Tom. Yes, the Bible is clear that if we love God we will want to obey him through his power...I mean if we love our neighbor we won't steal their wife et...But God's love is even more important than our obedience..but because of his great love, then we want to seek God's will for our lives even more because he loves us so much. Quote
Lineman Posted December 13, 2008 Posted December 13, 2008 I use this illustration to help people understand "faith", but I think it can also help us understand love and obedience too. Let's say that you have two young children who say that they love you. You take them to the lake and they walk out onto a dock while you wade out into deep water. You ask them again if they love you and they both say, "yes". So you tell them to jump into your arms and you will catch them. One jumps and the other does not. Which one really trusts you? Which one really loves you? Which one has complete faith in you? How do you know? They both claim that they love you, yet one of them does not know you well enough, love you enough to trust you to do what you say you will do. If we do not know our Creator well enough we will not be willing to trust Him. We do not really love Him, or else we would do anything He asks of us. I hardly think that's legalism. Do you love God? Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.