Jump to content
ClubAdventist

So I *might* be getting a house soon


Recommended Posts

Posted

This lady that we know wants to either let us live in her house and pay the mortgage when she retires or take over the payments in exchange for cash soon, I am not sure exactly but we are supposed to sit down and discuss it this Sunday.

We have known her all of our lives, she was really good friends with my parents for a long time, and after my mom died she was a pretty good substitute.

Initially we thought she wanted us to move in with her but we (my brother and I) figured that there would be privacy issues.

My commute to work would be quadrupled (60 miles roundtrip) and I would need to change schools next semester.

Are there any other things I need to think of?

Posted

Who is going to pay the taxes? Should she die, unexpectedly, who would "own" this house? If repairs need to be made who will pay for them? Also I would have everything put in writing.

P.S. Good to see you around again.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Posted

Who is going to pay the taxes? Should she die, unexpectedly, who would "own" this house? If repairs need to be made who will pay for them? Also I would have everything put in writing.

P.S. Good to see you around again.

Good questions, Liz....Good questions...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

  • Moderators
Posted

As the song from Australian band The Cruel Sea says: "Better geta lawyer son. Better get a real good one."

Not because I think there's anything nefarious going on - it sounds like a kind offer and a great opportunity. But for the protection of everyone involved, a simple but clear and legally binding contract that sets out all the rights and obligations of all the parties will save a lot of potential issues and problems.

Truth is important

  • Moderators
Posted

If you were in California, you would be required to have a written contract [or deed perhaps] before such an agreement could be legally binding. And I think all jurisdictions require such a document [based upon the Statute of Frauds relating to real property].

So Bravus' suggestion to hire an attorney would be appropriate, and money well spent, to avoid expensive problems later on.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Posted

Doug, my friend, please give greetings to Peter for me. Missed the both of you at Christmas.

AND as you do live in California.. might want to take Jeannie's comment seriously.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

 

Posted

Doug, If she wants you to have the house when she dies she could deed the house to you now and reserve a life estate for herself. However, taxwise, it would be to your advantage IMO to have her give it to you in her Will.

Posted

Good to see you Doug. Happy New Year. And all I have to say is what the others have said ... Lawyer Lawyer Lawyer.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...