Moderators Nan Posted January 15, 2009 Moderators Posted January 15, 2009 I have just had something very strange happen....a telemarketer HUNG UP ON ME when I had said only a few cheerful words. There was the telltale pause, then the accented question"How are you?" to which I replied "Brilliant, bouncing, delighted" - and there was a click! I was actually telling the truth as I am not long home from watching the birth of my youngest grandson Quote
fccool Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 Congrats, NAN! (about being grandfather that is) Quote
Stan Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 Congrats, NAN! (about being grandfather that is) that would be a HUGE change, she used to be a grandmother... but.. alas it is the 21th century... Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
fccool Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 Ahahahah, forgive my ignorance, but for some reason I assumed that the picture describes the oriental gentleman on the right (probably given the oriental sounding name.... Nan) Quote
Stan Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 To get them to hang up quick.. just say.. So.... what are you wearing? and take a deep breath.. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Moderators Nan Posted January 15, 2009 Author Moderators Posted January 15, 2009 fc I am the person on the left. The person on the right is Sammy, Indonesian Chinese, linguist, retired evangelist ( and good cook amongst other talents). It is the second marriage for both of us so I guess he is a new grandfather by marriage He does have grandchildren of his own. Stan, Sammy has been known to get them to hang up by asking if they (if female) would be a suitable match for my bachelor son...but I will bear your suggestion in mind for future need. :) Quote
Neil D Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 I have just had something very strange happen....a telemarketerHUNG UP ON ME when I had said only a few cheerful words. There was the telltale pause, then the accented question"How are you?" to which I replied "Brilliant, bouncing, delighted" - and there was a click! I was actually telling the truth as I am not long home from watching the birth of my youngest grandson Don't worry about it, Nan....I promise, as soon as the telemarketer gets some courage and some experience underneath his belt, he'll be back.....and then you won't be able to get him off for anything 'cept love of money..... If s/he is that persistant, I suggest that you do what he did....hang up... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Moderators Nan Posted January 15, 2009 Author Moderators Posted January 15, 2009 Neil, I usually hang up within a few seconds, it was quite a surprise when this one beat me to it!! Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted January 15, 2009 Moderators Posted January 15, 2009 Maybe he was selling depression drugs and gave up on you as a bad prospect! Quote Truth is important
Moderators Nan Posted January 15, 2009 Author Moderators Posted January 15, 2009 Either that or he was very depressed and could not cope with bouncing. Quote
Woody Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 Nan ... Regarding telemarketers: I get hung up on frequently. What happens is that most of the calls are computer generated. The computer calls X number of people. When one answers their call ... the computer indicates this to a telemarketer. But, if the telemarketer is busy or just picked up another one .... then you get hung up on by the computer. Having caller ID is good. You can tell if the telemarketer is calling again. So, if that happens ... and I answer the next time. I ask them ... Do you feel it is nice to hang up on people? I start telling them that I am a busy person ... and to answer their call just to be hung up on before they get to the phone .... is not very polite. I go on and on and soon ... they decide they don't want to listen to it all and hang up on me. (Again) I know ... I am naughty. Naughty Naughty Naughty. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
nuff sed Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 You can beat Computer Generated Telemarketers every time. If there is not an immediate response to your "Hello", hang up immediately before the computer signals the telemarketer that there is another potential "sucker" on the line. Quote
GreatLakesGramma Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 To get them to hang up quick.. just say.. So.... what are you wearing? and take a deep breath.. I wouldn't want to do that. It could backfire. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Stan Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 One of my buddies did that... seems like they put him on the 'do not call list' from that company. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Woody Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 You can beat Computer Generated Telemarketers every time. If there is not an immediate response to your "Hello", hang up immediately before the computer signals the telemarketer that there is another potential "sucker" on the line. I would not advise doing this. For ... if you do .... you will remain on their list for another one of those generated calls. You have to talk to the telemarketer in order to get off the list. Oh well .... I just give up. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Liz Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 I have a friend that likes to play with telemarketers. She will start yelling, "It's about time you called me, you owe me child support, I need diapers and formula", she will just go on and on until they hang up. It is too funny. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
fccool Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 I like to start selling them stuff. I tell them what I do, and offer them my services. And I just on until they hang up. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted January 15, 2009 Administrators Posted January 15, 2009 I screen all my calls through the machine. I just don't pick up and get on with life. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
GreatLakesGramma Posted January 15, 2009 Posted January 15, 2009 Now that we have caller ID, I can avoid most of them. If it says "Toll Free Number" I don't answer. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Members phkrause Posted January 16, 2009 Members Posted January 16, 2009 pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Neil D Posted January 16, 2009 Posted January 16, 2009 Originally Posted By: Stan Jensen To get them to hang up quick.. just say.. So.... what are you wearing? and take a deep breath.. I wouldn't want to do that. It could backfire. What?!?!?! you afraid of telephone sex?....Sorry, couldn't help myself...Besides, being devorced, that's the only sex I get... Yeah yeah, I know...too much information.... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.