Ben_White Posted January 17, 2009 Posted January 17, 2009 This morning I went along to the Church Service of the SDA church in Queenstown South Australia to see what an Adventist Church would be like. There were approximately 60 or so there which wasnt a bad gathering of people and they seemed quite friendly which was great! The sang some Hymns from the SDA Hymnal and opened with a prayer from the pulpit. What I did find interesting was that for one of the prayers the congregation were asked to kneel, I did not know if this was something that they did each week or not? I noticed that the hall had a sloping floor which I found interesting because in my research of the denominations of the Methodist Church I discovered that they built all their halls with sloping floors so that the halls could not be used for Dancing - in the Hymn Book one of the hymns that was sung was one written by John Wesley, so it seemed to me that maybe there is a strong Methodist influence within the SDA in relation to the sloping floors and the hymns as well as the Armenian focus in doctrine? The chap that preached the sermon was the head of the SDA publising firm for the South Pacific and he is usually based in the Phillipine Islands but had been brought over to Australia for a camp that had a focus on people that had emigrated from the Phillipines to here. The message was very good and he focused on the Disciple Peter and the incident where he got out of the boat and walked on the water, it was a great sermon and I am not sure if they have a tape ministry or not, but quite a good one to listen to again anyway! The meeting came to a close and several people came over and made us welcome. On the way out I was passed several leaflets on the SDA church which I intend to read through later on as well as a magazine called "Signs of the Times" or similar which looks quite interesting! One of the folk there gave me some information on the Hope Channel and how I can have it connected at home, so I am going also to look into that as it sounds pretty good! Anyway that was my trip to the SDA, I was invited back again but will wait and see what I feel is the right thing to do before making a firm decision on it! Thanks again to all those that have encouraged me in this search of the SDA and what they are about, it has been very helpful and very much appreciated! Quote
LifeHiscost Posted January 17, 2009 Posted January 17, 2009 Anyway that was my trip to the SDA, I was invited back again but will wait and see what I feel is the right thing to do before making a firm decision on it! Thanks again to all those that have encouraged me in this search of the SDA and what they are about, it has been very helpful and very much appreciated! Ben, I'm grateful your experience, being the first among the Adventists, was a pleasant one. Having been an Adventist in the SDA body of believers for the majority of the last 50 years I can assure you, you will probably not always be so favorably impressed. However if you seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit and ask for the presence of Jesus each step of the way as you consider making the Adventist church your spiritual home while you are on this earth, you can be assured that Jesus will give you the peace that passes understanding and He will give you as well, the discernment to determine between the tares and the wheat. "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phil 4:7 KJV "But when the wheat sprouted and bore grain, then the tares became evident also. He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn." Matthew 13:26,28-30 NASB KJV Welcome to a home that offers challenges fitting for all who choose Jesus as their Guide and Savior. Blessings! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Woody Posted January 17, 2009 Posted January 17, 2009 Quote: He will give you as well, the discernment to determine between the tares and the wheat. I wouldn't bother looking at the wheat and the tares. God will take care of them. But look to Jesus. Then you will be fine. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
LifeHiscost Posted January 17, 2009 Posted January 17, 2009 Quote: He will give you as well, the discernment to determine between the tares and the wheat. I wouldn't bother looking at the wheat and the tares. God will take care of them. But look to Jesus. Then you will be fine. Looking to Jesus is good, and paramount. I wonder why He gave us the gift of discernment? "And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment..." Philippians 1:9 NASB Regards! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Woody Posted January 17, 2009 Posted January 17, 2009 We are to discern Him not others. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Jeannieb43 Posted January 17, 2009 Moderators Posted January 17, 2009 Welcome to this board, Ben White. I hope all your experiences with Adventists, both in worship and otherwise, will be as pleasant as this first one. Quote Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....
LifeHiscost Posted January 17, 2009 Posted January 17, 2009 We are to discern Him not others. And that is instruction from who? "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." Matthew 10:16 KJV Regards! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Lineman Posted January 17, 2009 Posted January 17, 2009 Redwood is right in that looking at Jesus is supreme and what is needed of course, but the enemy of Jesus has planted "tares" in His churches everywhere and we need to realize (discern) that some who say that they are "wheat" are not even close to being like Jesus. In order to know "wheat" from "tares" you need to know the differences. All you need to look at, the only One to look at, to find out is Jesus. If you find someone who is not like Jesus then you have not found "wheat". (I think this is what is being said by both.) Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Members phkrause Posted January 17, 2009 Members Posted January 17, 2009 Good Sabbath Ben, its probably over by now. Could it be that the SDA church you visited had originally owned by a Methodist congregation? I don't believe I've ever seen any sda churches here in the US built that way. Glad to hear you had a good Sabbath among fellow christians. And like some mentioned you might not always have this experience. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
True-believer Posted January 17, 2009 Posted January 17, 2009 Hello Ben, Welcome to the Adventist Church. It was great that you came to Queenstown Church this morning, I look forward to seeing you there next time. I just wish my mother and father and my whole immidiate family could come along one Sabbath. --Keep praying. I'm looking forward to becoming a member there in less than a month. Maybe you Ben and me could become members there together on the same day in a month. Praying for you Ben and you wife and daughter. Please also continue to pray for me and my family. Quote Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Lineman Posted January 17, 2009 Posted January 17, 2009 Could it be that the SDA church you visited had originally owned by a Methodist congregation? I don't believe I've ever seen any sda churches here in the US built that way. Our new SDA church here in the center of the USA has slopped floors. It was designed by one of our more liberal Adventists and so do not believe it had anything to do with dancing, but only to allow everyone to see the front easier. Blessings, Dan Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.