there buster Posted January 20, 2009 Posted January 20, 2009 Before one word of the inaugural speech is uttered, I make this prediction: It will be widely declared as the most magnificent speech at least since JFK's inauguration in 1960. It may well be hailed as greater, even, than Lincoln's second inaugural address, which I reckon to be one of the greatest speeches ever delivered. Quote: Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said 'the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether'. With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan – to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations. I post those closing paragraphs of Lincoln's speech here as a marker. Quote “the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell
Members phkrause Posted January 20, 2009 Members Posted January 20, 2009 pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted January 20, 2009 Posted January 20, 2009 Just the cost of his speech ... $150 million is enough to make me worry about his presidency. Does he think that money grows on trees? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
fccool Posted January 20, 2009 Posted January 20, 2009 Redwood, come on! Let's not cherry pick here. Bush's inauguration costs were about the same in 2004: http://mediamatters.org/items/200901180003 I'd like for you to consider that much of that money comes from private parties. I would not make a bit deal about it. If you'd like to talk about wasteful spending, don't turn the blind side on the guy who doubled the national debt in merely two terms (although he is not alone to blame for it). Quote
Woody Posted January 20, 2009 Posted January 20, 2009 I guess it just goes to show that you can't trust MSNBC. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators lazarus Posted January 20, 2009 Moderators Posted January 20, 2009 lol @ all the "haters"!!!! Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Moderators Bravus Posted January 20, 2009 Moderators Posted January 20, 2009 Good to see they reserved judgement and waited to hear the content of the speech, eh? Quote Truth is important
Moderators lazarus Posted January 20, 2009 Moderators Posted January 20, 2009 "To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West _ know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy." "To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history, but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist," "Our time of standing pat, of protecting narrow interests and putting off unpleasant decisions _ that time has surely passed," Obama said. "Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America." Commentators on MSNBC have just said the speech was not that memorable. Aretha Frnaklin was great though!!! Pat Buchannan said it was about realism and old right...."he was saying America shape up" CNN commentators said it was not the greatest !!. Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Woody Posted January 20, 2009 Posted January 20, 2009 Yes. When Obama officially becomes president I will hold him to great things. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted January 20, 2009 Posted January 20, 2009 "To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society's ills on the West _ know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy." "To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history, but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist," "Our time of standing pat, of protecting narrow interests and putting off unpleasant decisions _ that time has surely passed," Obama said. "Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America." Commentators on MSNBC have just said the speech was not that memorable. Aretha Frnaklin was great though!!! Pat Buchannan said it was about realism and old right...."he was saying America shape up" CNN commentators said it was not the greatest !!. Yes. The press is always generous to democrats. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators lazarus Posted January 20, 2009 Moderators Posted January 20, 2009 Just arrived home after going to the inauguration. Spent 7 hours in the cold. I loved every minute of it. I took my 9 year old son. I wanted him to see history being made. We both stood on the mall in the cold, with perhaps 2 million others and saw (via jumbotron) a black man get sworn in and become commander in Chief of the most powerful nation in the world. Obama may well disappoint, he will frustrate, he will mess things up, he may well end up being hated by those who voted for him. He will fail in many respects because he's human. Yet, I believe he will succeed in many respects because he's a leader and a visionary. Time will tell!! but today is a day of celebration, a time of joy and tremendous catharsis. Again... for emphasis LOL @ all of you "haters" Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Members phkrause Posted January 20, 2009 Members Posted January 20, 2009 I for one, and I did not vote for Obama or McCain, thought that his speech was every bit as good as Kennedy's and alot better than the last 3 president's.I thought that Aretha Franklin was OK, not really up to her standard's. I even got to see, on TV that is, Pastor Barry Black have the prayer before they had Lunch. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted January 20, 2009 Posted January 20, 2009 I thought it was cool that Pastor Rick Warren gave the Lord's Prayer. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Jeannieb43 Posted January 20, 2009 Moderators Posted January 20, 2009 Yes, Pastor Barry Black's invocation at the Senators' luncheon was wonderful. [After all, he is the Chaplain of the Senate, so is the logical one to offer that invocation.] I thought the black pastor's Benediction at the end of the Inaugural Ceremonies was more poetic than was the "poem" read by the celebrated poet [somebody named Alexander, I think?] just before him. And the John Williams composition played by Yo Yo Ma and company was gorgeous! Perfect for the occasion, and played beautifully amidst difficult climactic conditions. But the high point was the President's Inaugural Address. I think it will go down in history as one of the great ones [regardless of CNN and any other naysayers]. He will do a great job, because he is a true leader; he knows how to bring people together. I'm excited about his presidency. Quote Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....
Moderators lazarus Posted January 20, 2009 Moderators Posted January 20, 2009 come on Bravus, you are just too reasonable! Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Woody Posted January 20, 2009 Posted January 20, 2009 Quote: he knows how to bring people together This is one claim that I would love to hold him to ... We will see ... He may bring people together as long as they believe and do as he says ... So, we will see ... Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Bravus Posted January 20, 2009 Moderators Posted January 20, 2009 It'd be nice if the content of the speech itself, not various pundits' reactions to it, was the news story, too. Far too much of others telling us what to think and how to react. Quote Truth is important
Members phkrause Posted January 20, 2009 Members Posted January 20, 2009 Yes I agree the benediction was very moving. Not sure what that poem was about but I do hope someone enjoyed it. The music was good. And the Rick Warren pray was OK to. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Liz Posted January 21, 2009 Posted January 21, 2009 I pretty much liked everything, except Elizabeth Alexander's poem--ugg. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Members phkrause Posted January 21, 2009 Members Posted January 21, 2009 It was different that's for sure. I just hope, like I said, that someone got something out of it. I'm not going to say that it was worthless. I'd be curious who ask for her to say this poem. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators Bravus Posted January 21, 2009 Moderators Posted January 21, 2009 Isn't there always a poem at an inauguration? Quote Truth is important
Dr. Shane Posted January 21, 2009 Posted January 21, 2009 Well in celebration I am baking pumpkin doughnuts. Doughnuts are shaped like O's. Like O-bama. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
CAD Posted January 21, 2009 Posted January 21, 2009 We were allowed to watch the speech on a wide screen at work. The most memorable part of the speech for me was hearing some of my coworkers after the speech remark: "You would have thought Jesus Christ himself has come. They all act as if it's Jesus coming down to save this earth." These coworkers are not Christians. I have never heard them utter the name Jesus before. It just made me stop and think. Quote
Members phkrause Posted January 21, 2009 Members Posted January 21, 2009 Bravus: I'm not sure but I still have not heard one!!!! pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members phkrause Posted January 21, 2009 Members Posted January 21, 2009 I have to admit that I had tears in my eyes when the Rev Avery, I believe was his name, prayed the benediction. I thought that that prayer was very moving. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.