Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

Posted

Some posts written by others (guilbox and pk )on the topic of "Kids or Children"

Speaking of letters to the editor, here is a lu-lu that just came in the Canadian Messenger.

We wonder why people think we are a cult....This is laughable and sad all at the same time. I've highlighted specific instances of incredulity.

Quote:

I received a copy of the September 2008 Messenger (** entitled 'What your kids could have done on their summer vacation) and left it unread on my coffee table. A friend came over, picked it up and said, "See, you're no different than thesecular world; you use the same language we do." I asked them what they meant, and they pointed to the word 'kids' on the cover.

I was surprised to see the word 'kids' used not only on the cover but throughout the magazine. This may seem like a trivial matter, but it can, I believe, also denote some of the problems we have with today's youth.

My question is: why do we have to use these words to describe our children? For one, it does not differentiate between boys and girls and is, more or less, putting everyone into the same category. As a result, gay and lesbian lifestyle is unfortunately being presented as a normal way of life, and, if we are not careful, our words will subtly portray us as condoning this lifestyle. I believe children are becoming more and more confused regarding their sexuality. , and can understand why. What is so wrong with calling them 'children'? It is used extensively throughout the Bible, and, to me, denotes the sanctity and respect we should be giving to both genders.

I believe the Bible always should be our guide in expressing our thoughts or ideas. As you know, throughout the book of Genesis, God called us 'man' and 'woman', 'son' and 'daugher', 'child', and 'children', etc. If God used these words to describe His creation, why would we find it necessary to do otherwise? I would think that the Adventist Church would be in the forefront in making doubly sure we avoid using worldly or popular words or phrases and, in so doing,m uphold the sanctity and respect God gae to each of His creations.

Can someone explain to me how 'children' distinguishes between 'boy' and 'girl' and 'kids' does not? The Bible also uses 'thee and thou' to talk to each other. Should we do the same thing?

I guess that sexual molestation,same sex marriage nurturing and genetics are not the culprits for homosexual orientation! It's calling children 'kids'! Who knew?

I highly doubt that a secular friend pointed this out. This seems to be a made up preamble to make others think that there are others that believe such flakiness. No non-religous person is that shallow.

Somewhere a village is missing their idiot.

Unbelievable.

Edited by guibox (37 minutes 4 seconds ago)

_________________________

www.corbel.theacaistory.com

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

#212730 - 5 minutes 26 seconds ago Re: Letter to the Editor [Re: guibox]

pkrause

Registered: 03/24/00

Posts: 1293

Loc: Lancaster,MA,USA I'm not sure that calling people idiot's is helping anything. But I do agree that saying kids or children shouldn't or doesn't make a difference. It seems to me that they were willing to put themselves out there for people to critisize, or maybe even have people think about what they fill is important. So even if we disagree at least we can admire them for even writing what they seem to think is of importance.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

I refer to my children as kids all the time. I have a thirteen year old boy that eats constantly and pretty much anything and everything; I hear the same is true for goats, so I think there is a parallel there. Then there is a species of goat called "Fainting goats", when if they get scared they fall over. I have a 9 year old daughter, and every time I tell her to go clean her room, I can check up on her a little later and she will be curled up somewhere fast asleep.

So yep, I got me some kids.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Posted

HEY REDWOOD

I GUESS IT is a word that be comes a habit

I use to say kids and children both

until I WAS A working with a lady I happen

to ask how many kids she had...

she told me she had 16 "wow" I SAID "that is a

lot of kids" then she went on the explain that she

raise goats and the babies are call kids...

from that time on I HAVE always asked how many

children does a person have----that was about 9 years ago

smile smile smile smile smile

dgrimm60

rollingsmile

Good One dgrimm60

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

I refer to my children as kids all the time. I have a thirteen year old boy that eats constantly and pretty much anything and everything; I hear the same is true for goats, so I think there is a parallel there. Then there is a species of goat called "Fainting goats", when if they get scared they fall over. I have a 9 year old daughter, and every time I tell her to go clean her room, I can check up on her a little later and she will be curled up somewhere fast asleep.

So yep, I got me some kids.

Ha Ha !!

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Administrators
Posted

Right on, Liz!!

My offspring are all my chickies- ALL of them, whether they are married in yet or not.

Recently I saw "droppings" as referred to offspring. I know that there is at least ONE other person here who will know the background to THAT story! :D

LOL

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Posted

You are all offering personal opinions, some don't mind, others it reminds them of 'goats'

That's fine. Nobody has to offer an explanation beyond 'I just don't like calling children that'

However, when you DO offer an excuse, and it is to the tune of: 'As SDAs we shouldn't be using secular language like this that is unbiblical and encourages homosexuality in our children'

Well that's just ridiculous, cultic nonsense, plain and simple.

Posted

I disagree ... I think that goats are found in the Bible.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

When others used to refer to my daughter as a "kid," she always would say, "I'm not a baby goat."

  • Moderators
Posted

Someone who objects to the use of the word "kids" is usually either an English major or a generation older than I am.

LD

-

LD

Posted

My daugher did become an English major, but only after pursuing another major. She didn't like the word "kids" when she was a child.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...