Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Reaching the youth


Recommended Posts

Posted

How does your church reach out to the youth in your own church? We (my church) seems to be able to get our youth together in a social aspect. I'm not looking for a hang out party, where we feed them food, and give them a place to meet and then go out bowling or whatever they do. I'm looking for a way for them to have a closer relationship to God. It seems as if the way our church did it five years ago, does not work with this new version of youth.

Posted

In order to keep up with the youth ... we need to change and adapt quickly. We can't rely on what worked five years ago.

When I was a teen ... I was a serious student. But most of the others at church were just there to play. And the adults had no way to reach a serious Bible student. They didn't know what to do with me.

So, I took matters into my own hands. I went to a boarding school that had a great spiritual reputation. That worked. I found other students with my passion for scripture. And there were faculty that were willing to help. They even took us off campus to go witnessing each week. We also took trips all over California.

Well ... that was my youth experience. But whatever it was ... it no longer applies. We need to reach the youth of today were the youth of today are at. Where ever that might be.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

My church is so broken, it doesn't reach out to anybody. I am so frustrated with them. gah

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Posted

My church is so broken, it doesn't reach out to anybody. I am so frustrated with them. gah

Word of advice...YOU begin somewhere...or the church dies...and you with it...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

Posted

Originally Posted By: Liz
My church is so broken, it doesn't reach out to anybody. I am so frustrated with them. gah

Word of advice...YOU begin somewhere...or the church dies...and you with it...

I agree with this, but you have to have the backing of the church, especially the pastor, in order to do "anything" on the church property with the youth. No one has this type of backing. And you can't meet off the property without the pastor's approval and still call yourselves anything with an organized SDA title. And the pastor won't do anything on the church grounds and he sure isn't giving his approval off of it, because of the "liability" factor.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Posted

Why do you need the SDA label?

You don't need their approval. Just do it. Home ministries are the best anyways. The word will get out.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Why do you need the SDA label?

You don't need their approval. Just do it. Home ministries are the best anyways. The word will get out.

I just meant that you couldn't call yourselves Pathfinders or Adventurers, because if they didn't approve of it then they would shut you down. There was a family in the church that started doing Bible studies in their homes on Friday nights, they had a large group coming each week. Pastor found out about it, and shut them down, told them they could no longer do that because he wasn't there to lead it each week, therefore it was a huge "liability" on the church. We thought he was nuts, and he threatened to sue--so of course, everyone stop meeting together. After that incident, no has dared to try anything on their own again. Also, most of the people that were meeting together don't go to church anymore either.

I am telling you guys, something stinks to high Heaven, in this church district.

If anyone wants more information or anything, please PM me; I really don't want to bring the mood of the board down.

backtopic

I believe the question was "What does you church do to encourage the youth?

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

Posted

My point is Liz ... that you don't have to do something for the youth ... with the SDA label. The pastor can't stop you from having a meeting in your home if you don't call it SDA. You are free to invite anyone you want to your home. So, go for it. Make up your own Pathfinders. Just don't call it that.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Same goes for bible studys....

Call it a political meeting with chruch members...but since you wanted to keep church and state separate, you didn't invite the pastor....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

Posted

Our church has started having a Youth Church service in one of the rooms of the church. We have a very active youth pastor! He does all sorts of things: game nights, beach vespers, activity nights, picnics, lots of things that get the youth involved. Anyone from teens to thirties. All are welcomed, but usually it's mostly youth that go.

We have Pathfinders, one of the most active in the conference. Yesterday, there was a picnic for the cradle roll and kindergarten families. Our church is very active in all sorts of ways.

Posted

Our church has started having a Youth Church service in one of the rooms of the church. We have a very active youth pastor! He does all sorts of things: game nights, beach vespers, activity nights, picnics, lots of things that get the youth involved. Anyone from teens to thirties. All are welcomed, but usually it's mostly youth that go.

We have Pathfinders, one of the most active in the conference. Yesterday, there was a picnic for the cradle roll and kindergarten families. Our church is very active in all sorts of ways.

That is great that they get together, I'm all for that. But I'm looking for the next step. Getting them together can be "easy". How do we get them together to love each other, to care about each others spiritual walk. I heard of Pastor telling the story of his high school class, and they made a pact with each other, that they would all stay in the church and would keep in contact with each other as a means of accountability, only one in the class has left the church after many years, and they haven't given up on him yet. I don't know how old he is, but he is in at least his fifties.

I really don't think we have time for our kids to leave the church and then come back later. Time is too short.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...