Cosmin M. Posted February 19, 2009 Posted February 19, 2009 I say that since there are so many scams with Ebay that they should switch to doing this.... They should make it so that lets say your buying a doll, the owner of the doll sends it to you first and once it arrives at the post office then the guys working there call you and tell you it has arrived and you go over and inspect it. After every-things fine you go back home and you send the guy the money. Ebay calls the post office and lets them give you the doll. Done! No more scams ever! Though if you see a flaw in my idea please tell me. Quote
Cosmin M. Posted February 19, 2009 Author Posted February 19, 2009 Anyone think this is good? Find a flaw? Quote
Moderators LynnDel Posted February 19, 2009 Moderators Posted February 19, 2009 Having some place to approve an eBay purchase is good, but the post office wouldn't work for me. I avoid standing in line there at all costs. The PO probably wouldn't want to handle the business, either, without charging appropriate fees for storage, employee time, processing, and building new facilities to handle it. How about if some clever person starts up his own eBay clearing house? You could offer the services you mention for items costing more than a certain amount, in your area. Franchise it all across the nation and become rich! LD Quote LD
Moderators Jeannieb43 Posted February 20, 2009 Moderators Posted February 20, 2009 I've never used Ebay myself, though I've received gifts from a friend who purchased them on Ebay and had them sent directly to me. Shouldn't it be possible to disallow the charge on your credit card if the purchase you made turns out not to be what you ordered? Quote Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....
Joe_in_RP Posted February 20, 2009 Posted February 20, 2009 Since they are very successful I doubt that will change. The rating system is a way to curtail fraud. It does need improvement. But it is also "Let the buyer beware". If a 500.00 laptop is selling for 50 to 100 something is wrong. Quote
Moderators LynnDel Posted February 20, 2009 Moderators Posted February 20, 2009 I've made about 60 purchases on eBay and all have turned out well. However, I do know people who ordered items that they never received, and they were unable to do anything about it. Most of the fraud I am personally aware of (i.e. happened to people I know) is tech related: software, computers, DVD players, and I do not choose to shop for those kinds of items on eBay. I never buy anything costly from someone who doesn't have some kind of track record on eBay. I always read the feedback; you can tell a lot about a seller by the responses they make to negative feedback. Quote LD
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 20, 2009 Members Posted February 20, 2009 I have bought and sold antiquarian books on ebay and never had a problem except with selling and shipping overseas. That is a hassle. I won't do it anymore. I also won't sell to a buyer who has a bad rating. I did buy an antique quilt on ebay that turned out to be a piece of junk. I went through the ebay process of making a claim against the seller for fraud and misrepresentation of an item. It worked, and I got my money back, and the buyer got banned. Quote Pam      Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted February 20, 2009 Posted February 20, 2009 Since they are very successful I doubt that will change. The rating system is a way to curtail fraud. It does need improvement. But it is also "Let the buyer beware". If a 500.00 laptop is selling for 50 to 100 something is wrong. The rating system recently changed. Now ... the seller is not protected. The buyer is. I have had buyers just refuse to pay for the purchase after they changed their mind. This is a legal contract and they are required to pay. But yet, as a seller ... I am not allowed to leave a negative comment. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 20, 2009 Members Posted February 20, 2009 REALLY? I haven't sold on ebay for awhile. This is news to me! What recourse are they giving for the sellers who aren't getting paid??? Quote Pam      Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Moderators LynnDel Posted February 20, 2009 Moderators Posted February 20, 2009 Every time I have made a purchase, the seller does not send the item until my payment has cleared. Makes sense to me. Quote LD
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 20, 2009 Members Posted February 20, 2009 Every time I have made a purchase, the seller does not send the item until my payment has cleared. Makes sense to me. That's how I do my selling now. I was using PayPal a lot for selling until I found out the buyer could get the book and then dispute the transaction if they used their credit card as the paying source. That doesn't want to make me use PayPal much any more. Just too many scammers out there now... Quote Pam      Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Cosmin M. Posted February 20, 2009 Author Posted February 20, 2009 Yup. I know. I only use http://craiglist.org/ Quote
bonnie Posted February 20, 2009 Posted February 20, 2009 Originally Posted By: LynnDel Every time I have made a purchase, the seller does not send the item until my payment has cleared. Makes sense to me. That's how I do my selling now. I was using PayPal a lot for selling until I found out the buyer could get the book and then dispute the transaction if they used their credit card as the paying source. That doesn't want to make me use PayPal much any more. Just too many scammers out there now... You can no longer wait till you get your money in many cases. You are encouraged to send item immediately while many times they decide to hold your money for up to 21 days or until a positive feedback from buyer Many believe that now that ebay owns paypal it is used as another paying aspect. You are not allowed to state you will take checks or MO for payment. Paypal does not get the fee and ebay/paypal cannot hold your money Then ebay/paypal can hold not only fee for item but the money for shipping. You cannot under any circumstances leave anything but positive feedback for buyer. You also have the DSR,Detailed seller's rating. Seller's that have a 100% feedback can be banned from selling if the DSR falls below 4.1 in any of the five issues, Seller's are almost held hostage over shipping as the buyers now want free shipping. Thanks to ebay for constantly pushing free shipping. You can charge the exact amount of shipping which I do and still run into buyers that want it shipped free. Many new sites are springing up. A couple look like they may be a credible threat to ebay. Ebay is making up for lost revenue by selling ad space right below what ebayer is selling.They also get the interest on the buyer's payment and shipping by holding the payment Not really a fun place Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 20, 2009 Members Posted February 20, 2009 Quote: Not really a fun place not anymore Quote Pam      Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Joe_in_RP Posted February 20, 2009 Posted February 20, 2009 Quote: A couple look like they may be a credible threat to ebay. What sites do you think are worth checking out. Quote
bonnie Posted February 20, 2009 Posted February 20, 2009 Depends on what you are selling but Bonanzle is really moving. Books,vintage,homemade soaps and related items, a wide range of interesting items. A lot of us have gone to our own websites as well as using the new sites It has grown to 32,800 members. Last Nov it had just a very few thousand. Most are disgusted former ebay sellers. Atomic Mall is another that is doing pretty well for being as new as they are. Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Members phkrause Posted February 20, 2009 Members Posted February 20, 2009 I have purchased a little more than 50 items on ebay, and have bought some expensive items. Bought a gateway PC, and a digital camera. Both items were fine. I actually went to NY and picked up the computer. The camera was sent to me. I've had 2 items that came and didn't work. Never got my money back. Luckily they were not expensive. I have no problem buying from ebay. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted February 20, 2009 Posted February 20, 2009 REALLY? I haven't sold on ebay for awhile. This is news to me! What recourse are they giving for the sellers who aren't getting paid??? There is NO recourse. You just lose out. The buyer can then leave a negative comment about you trying to insist that they pay. But you are only allowed to leave a positive. Strange. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
GreatLakesGramma Posted February 21, 2009 Posted February 21, 2009 I can understand why eBay eliminated negative feedback for buyers. Because good buyers were afraid to leave negative feedback for sellers for fear of retaliation, which would ruin their own perfect rating. I have bought lots of stuff on eBay, including all the hardware for both computers my son built for me in past years, and the laptop I now use. But it's getting so most things cost just as much, or only a little less, than buying them from online retailers, like NewEgg or Amazon.com. Unless the savings is substantial, I will always go with the traditional retailer. So I haven't bought anything on eBay in quite a while. But I usually check eBay first. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.