Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Human achievement


Recommended Posts

Posted

In Galatians 3:3, Paul counsels us that "it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh [human achievement]"

You see we are tempted to glory in whatever we happen to excel in. In other words we are not overly tempted to glory in what we don't excel in.

Take sports for example. I would never be tempted to get in the boxing ring with Mike Tyson because I know I don't stand a chance. However, if I drink enough beers then I might be tempted. teehe So sometimes we are tempted to do things we can't do and end up looking like fools.

One of the effects of our sin problem is that it has produced in many lives a very low sense of self-esteem or self-worth. Unfortunatately this problem has magnified in our present complex world with its high divorce rates and competitive lifestyle. The result is a heyday for those who are in the counseling business.

Posted

In Galatians 3:3, Paul counsels us that "it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh [human achievement]"

You see we are tempted to glory in whatever we happen to excel in. In other words we are not overly tempted to glory in what we don't excel in.

The problem is when we are told to not glory in human achievement the assumption is that we should put it down. So we get in these debates about self esteem. Its a trap to look at high or low self esteem because the basis of either is what a person does.

We are human "beings" not human "doings" is a common way of stating this problem. When my value is based on what I do or don't do, then its conditional. The human condition involves making mistakes because we don't know the future and we certainly don't know everything. It is inevitable that we will make a mistake.

For self esteem to really work it has to be innate. When its not then one has to keep working to keep it up. And just because I value myself doesn't mean that everything I do is going to be great, it just means that when I make mistakes, I don't have to apologize for being human. I can apologize for making the mistake and make amends, but the mistake doesn't change my innate value.

Too often I see people punish themselves beyond the natural effects of their mistakes. This is simply another sign of self-centeredness and hyper personal evaluation. When my self esteem is settled then I don't have to waste any more time trying to prove that I am valuable. I am then free to live my life based on what I am passionate about and do it from a more authentic basis than fear of punishment and censure.

Posted

Did not read any of this but by the title of it I have one thing too say.

Humans have not accomplished anything without God.

k3ur8n.gif
  • Moderators
Posted

For the Christian, achievement is never for self-glory, as Jesus said: "Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Mt 5:16.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...